Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
dumb question: dumping grey water

Okay, I'm a newbie... after searching though the site, I've found that, since my '73 Overlander does not have a grey tank, that a portable blue-boy (or likes) can be used to store grey water during boondocking, et al. Soooo, here's the dumb question... how do you hook up the blue boy to the AS? I don't recall the PO showing me (or reading in the old manual) a particular valve for the grey water. So, I'm assuming it comes straight out of the dump line (the ~ 4" capped line). If so, then the blue-boy must have a large diameter hole to receive the grey water. Is that right? When I looked at a picture of a blue-boy, I thought the inlet looked to be the size of a regular garden hose. Can someone straighten me out on this?

I found it really interesting that, in the old manual, it talks about how you can use the toilet during travel. But it doesn't mention that you can't wash your hands afterward?
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The grey water line is inside the larger diameter opening for the black water. It should have a large cap with a smaller cap that is threaded to accept a standard garden hose. You can run that hose to your blueboy.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
You can get a garden hose cap for your sewer connection.
Garden Hose Cap - Item - Camping World

Dumping Grey water on the ground was not an issue back in 73. Everyone did it and it was not considered a hazard. If you want to see some interesting reading, find an old owners manual from around 1960. They talk about digging a honey hole under your trailer to dump the black tank, if you had one.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Picture one is of the dump tank - there are a bunch of models in various colors - hooked up with the Black tank line.

Picture two is the cap you can use to hook up the grey tank to the same dump tank and only drain off the grey "liquids".
Attached Images

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
If you want to hook up the slinky hose to the portable tank, you can do that too. The grey water will flow freely and the black water will only flow if you pull the release handle. Either hose is fine for grey water.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
As they came from the factory in 73 both black water and grey water come out the same hole. A regular sewer hose should connect the trailer to the blue boy. You may run into the problem of the connection on the trailer is a Thetford fitting while the blueboy is Valtera. Valtera is standard nowadays. There are adapters.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Thanks for the quick replies. Cool.
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
You should be able to open the door on top of your rear bumper and see the lines...

Richard

Old 09-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Edgewood , New Mexico
Here's a dumber question Can grey-water be dumpted with no problem when boondocking? Anyone know of any good boondocking locations in the Gunnision National Forest area of Colorado?

Thanks!
-JP
AgPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgPnut View Post
Here's a dumber question Can grey-water be dumpted with no problem when boondocking? Anyone know of any good boondocking locations in the Gunnision National Forest area of Colorado?

Thanks!
-JP
Dumping grey water on the ground is generally frowned upon, especially in the National Forests. I have heard some states still allow it, in some circumstances.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
If one uses soaps and detergents with no phosphates and that are all natural, I wonder how bad dumping grey water can really be?
Old 09-09-2008, 06:44 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
First please refer to it as wash water, ie. wash hands, wash dishes.
Several years ago the state of Georgia decided it was beneficial to put wash water to the ground. Except for parks on federal land Georgia State Parks allow it.
I had always question the tent camper next to me washing up and doing dishes was ok, but since my wash water went through a pipe I could not put it to the ground.

"Decaffinated coffee is the devil's blend."
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
If one uses soaps and detergents with no phosphates and that are all natural, I wonder how bad dumping grey water can really be?
In reality, grey water can be worse than black water, as the black water has already started the process of decomposition through digestion, and the food that has washed off the dishes and pots generally just goes on the ground and rots.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgPnut View Post

Thanks!
-JP

We have elk hunted/dry camped in the Taylor Creek Reservoir area of that forest. There is a no-hook up campground at the Reservoir called Mosca. It is open until around Oct 1. But there you can camp lots of open areas around the campground. Its secluded and a nice spot.

After a search of the Forest Service web site, it seems dumping of gray water is allowed when dry camping outside of improved campgrounds. Though some specific forests may have areas that don’t allow the practice.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #15
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Great info in this thread (as usual).

Just a side question: when did grey tanks become standard issue on all AS models?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:01 PM   #16
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona

Richard

Old 09-10-2008, 09:02 AM   #17
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Thanks, AZ. Not sure that I'd want one without a grey tank, so this is good to know.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Dumping grey water on the ground is generally frowned upon, especially in the National Forests. I have heard some states still allow it, in some circumstances.
Arizona allows dumping gray water when boondocking. Most newer rural residences such as ours also route gray water to outlets outside. Campgrounds are another story.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:02 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Many people that don't know or understand and are turned off by the term Gray Water, they see it as a mix of black and white which we all know isn't true in our situation. The term Wash Water is much better understood and you may be allowed to dump Wash Water when you would be turned away from dumping Gray Water.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
You should be able to go on the National Forest websites and look under Gunnison National Forest for a campsite. Depending upon the weather, many of them may close on Oct. 1. There will probably not be any facilities available but some will have dump sites. Grey Water, Wash Water, whatever you want to call it is pretty much forbidden on National Forest land. We have camped at Devils Canyon near Monticello, Ut. and it is a National Forest facility. A nice site but they patrol the area to make sure peope are not letting grey water out.
Happy Camping..

Bob
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote