Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Dropping tank pans, 2001 Safari 25

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and replace my tank monitor system. This week we were out for two days and at the end of our camp out we drained the black and grey water tanks. The bar graphs on the original monitor system didn't change.

The pans (and presumably the tanks) are held in with side-to-side steel bars at the front and rear flanges of the pans and front to rear steel straps, all screwed into the floor and/or frame with screws/bolts. To drop the pans I have to pull the screws. Is there anything else holding the tanks in place? If I pull the screws, bars, and straps, will the pans fall away leaving the tanks hanging by their plumbing? The fresh water tank has a drain valve bolted to the pan with a short piece of hose. Is there enough slack in the fill and pump hoses to drop the tank? What is the connection, if any, from the toilet to the black tank and from the shower and sinks to the grey tank?

Lot of questions, I know. Thanks for any information or process suggestions!

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I would have the tanks power flushed first. Some marine places do that. I had a company called Hydro-flush or something like that do it 3 years ago. Sensors could be tust crusted up.

Personally I would live without the moniters if a good power flush did not fix them. I seldom look at mine.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, sounds similar to mine; I only dropped my fresh water tank and the lines/pipes need to be removed/disconnected or they probably would break. Tank and cover need to come down together. One mistake that I made was to not mark the metal bars [as you called them] The holes are very close, but not the same. I had some difficulty getting some of the bolts back in.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Al, have you tried the dish soap/ice/ride around the block treatment for your tanks?

Monitor panels of all types are notoriously inaccurate.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:08 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Adair , Oklahoma
Al, I have the same need to access my tanks but for a different reason. My drain valves are leaking. Anyway, I will be following this thread to see if we get any help from those who have dropped the tank covers and tanks. It would be a great help for those who have done this would share their experience with us. Surely, we aren't the first to need access to these tanks.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I've only dropped the tanks on my 73 Sovereign center bath, both gray and black. If you think that info would help, I'd be glad to share... Not sure how similar it would be to yours.

-Red
Old 09-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Robertsunrus - Your trailer may be similar to mine. Where/how did you get access to disconnect the fill line and pump line from the tank? I have the -A version with front recliners and rear twins. water pump is under the hanging locker opposit the head on the curbside

John - Thanks, i was going to try that next time I move. My storage place has a dump station. Right now the trailer is at home. I had suspected the monitors before, but this time when we headed out they were indicating empty for black and 1/3 for grey. After the camping they were 1/3 black and 2/3 grey. I drained them at the campground before leaving and the indicators didn't change. I'm going to try the ice thing before I do anything drastic. I can live with inaccurate, I'm not so sure about non-functional.

Thanks everyone,

Al
Old 09-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
1 more thing to try

After the cleaning routine, dump everything and then leave the valves open and the cap off to let the tanks & indicators dry out. Give it a day or two then check their readings. If they are clean, and dry, and still read incorrectly , they may very well need replacing.

Good luck, see you in a few weeks.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Robertsunrus - Your trailer may be similar to mine. Where/how did you get access to disconnect the fill line and pump line from the tank? I have the -A version with front recliners and rear twins. water pump is under the hanging locker opposit the head on the curbside

Al

Hi, my trailer had a large hole in the floor under the pantry. Not easy to get to, but can be done. I would not remove my tanks for the monitor system. They never work right anyway. If Airstream could show me exactly where the tank sensors are located, I would cut access holes for replacing them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4445RS.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	220634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4446RS.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	220635  

Name:	IMG_4447RS.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	220636   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4448RS.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	220637  

Name:	IMG_4449RS.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	220638  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Thanks. I think I may be able to do the same, but I am reconsidering the whole thing, or at least the part about dropping the tanks. My plan was to replace the existing system with the Garnet See-Level system. Their sensors are external, stick-on installation. I think with a couple of judiciously located holes I might be able to stick on the new sensors and abandon the old ones in place. I should be able to get a wire from the monitor panel area to the tank area for the new sensors or maybe use the existing wiring. But I'm going to go without for a while to see how that works. That's what a Blue Boy is for anyway, right?

Al
Old 09-02-2014, 09:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The drain valves are better accessed by cutting a access hole in the tank cover under the valves, servicing the valves, and screwing a cover over the hole. This is the method Jackson Center used to do our valves. Generally leaky valves can be repaired with a seal kit from OUtdoors mart or vintage trailer. Care is need in locating, sizing, and cutting the access hole so as not to harm the tank in the proces

If you just have to know you can look at the fluid level with a flashlight through the toilet. I just dump fairly often.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote