Old 07-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Dripping outside black water

We have a 2012 20 flying cloud and we are on the road. The drip appears to be coming from between the valve and elbow of the sewage drain. There is a connection that is "T" off with a wire attached to it. That "T" connection appears to be where it is leaking from. Is there something I can buy to seal it from the outside? Will I have to buy a whole assembly from AS? Any ideas are appreciated. Won't be home until end of July.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 07-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Angel Fire , New Mexico
A picture would help!

For what it's worth, we had an SOB rig here that was leaking a LOT near that T-connection -- because the whole business had literally been broken off in an unhappy meeting with a tall curb on the way here. An AS then came in and was parked nearby, so I examined and found that the black/gray drain pipes and T fittings were nearly identical on AS and SOB. That's good news!

And to make the good news even better, the owner of the SOB was able to get repair parts from the hardware store in Taos. Excellent news!

But really it all depends on exactly where your leak is, and that's where a picture or two or three would help greatly.

Lynn

Old 07-02-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Not sure we have the same issue but recently I had the valve behind the sewer flush inlet go bad. When I went to flush the system it appeared, at least to me, that the I had a water leak. I could't find it so I took to AS to fix. That when they told me it was the valve. The part cost 33.95 and 1 1/2 hours of labor.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I had the same thing happen to our black water piping and it is a easy fix.
Make sure tanks are empty first then unbolt Thetford valve(take a picture of it with your phone so you get the right O-ring) it will separate and allow removal of the damaged pipe(it is the thing that has the black and gray water handles.You may have to remove the four screws holding the tube used for storing slinky for access.Then unclamp the large pipe coming off the black water tank.Now remove the pipe from black water tank.Mine was actually broken under the black water tank collar and wasn't visible until removed.Now rinse and bag the pipe in a garbage bag and take it to a RV supply store.Buy new pipe with elbow along with pvc glue and some silicon caulking and a new Thetford O-Ring.cut to fit with hacksaw if necessary.Use self priming pvc glue to bond pipe sections then smear silicone on pipe end going into blackwater tank inlet.Tighten clamps and put back together.
I -1.5 hours not counting trip to store.
Approx $40 cost Easy to do.wear plastic gloves
Old 07-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Thanks Moflash, appreciated.
It probably is that however we are still on the road, we are in So Lake Tahoe and are headed towards Carson city and down 395 on Saturday. I'll deal with it when we get home at the end of the month.
I've had fresh water leaks as well. My outside shower water lines from inside trailer became lose during travel and when we used the water pump water stated to drip outside behind tire. I didn't find it until that side of trailer wall was soaking wet. Insulation is all wet. I can only hope it drys soon.
Having a great time though!

Old 07-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Lake Bluff , Illinois
I had this very same leak fixed at AS last month. The leak came from a crack in the black elbow that has the head-pressure sensor screwed into it coming from the black tank, right before the valve, the one you said has a wire coming out of it. Its leaking at the thread that the head sensor screws into, causing a split in the plastic. Maybe epoxy schmoozed from the outside will slow it down until you get home.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
For a quick fix try that stuff they show on TV that they seal a screen door with. I bought some at a local hardware store and fixed a leaking bucket with it. It comes in a spray can can in either black or white.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #8
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
This is a. 2012 20 Flying Cloud. When the hot water heater (gas) is turned on, there is a black PVC pipe in the bathroom that is vented inside cabinet of bathroom sink. It appears that water is coming from this vent and is running along the inside wall eventually running outside just behind Tire.
Has anyone come across this before?