Old 06-23-2014, 11:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Gastonia , North Carolina
Double duty question....

Hello...
This question is more to to with travel trailer design than Airstreams specifically. I will be using our '70 AS as a guesthouse primarily, and a travel trailer occasionally. I'm currently doing a shell-off frame repair and I'm trying to plan ahead with my bathroom design, holding tank placement and dump valve position. When parked the trailer will be connected to a basin with a sewage pump to my existing home septic system, or possibly to it's own mini septic system. My question is this...with a direct connection to either won't I get sewer odor without a p-trap? Is it acceptable to use a residential grade toilet in this situation or is that a no-no? I know I'm probably missing something here. I can do anything in a house but have never dealt with campers.

Please explain this to me like I am 5 years old. Thanks!!

Old 06-24-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Since the individual sinks and the shower drain have traps, no trap is needed at the sewer connection.

For a trailer that will remain at a site with a sewer hookup indefinitely, a residential toilet will work better. That way you won't need a holding tank at all. RV toilets require a holding tank even if a sewer connection is available since they use so little water.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:48 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Gastonia , North Carolina
Thanks. That answers my question. But since we will use it as a camper too I'll still need a holding tank for when we're away. I suppose the "If it's yellow let it mellow..." rule will apply to conserve water.