Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2003, 12:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
Does this thing need a gasket?

This twist on connection is where the drain hose connects on to the lift up valve on the blackwater tank.

It was glued together and I finally got it apart so we could get it into the new metal box for the tank. It seems like it would leak if it didn't have a gasket because it has gaps.

How do I get a gasket for this connection? It's for a '67 Safari.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2003, 12:26 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Cool

Mine has no gasket because the hose neck fits totally over the drain outlet. I woud guess that one of those "Ball" mason jar gaskets might help.

Just a thought.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

It will certainly need a gasket. That looks like a regular sewer hose connector. If so, gaskets should be available at an RV parts dealer. Or just buy the entire connector for a few $$$. They are not expensive.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:36 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
maybe...

I need to see a hose to get an idea but I haven't got that far yet...you mean something in the hose seals this joint? It is covered by the hose fitting? On mine this connection rattles around and you can definitely see thru the gap. It's pretty darn loose when it's twist/snapped together. I think that's why they caulked it.

It looks to me like the hose is connected by a screw down clamp to the end of this hook twist-on part. I thought of just buying some gasket material and cutting one and stuffing it in there but I thought I would get some idea of how it's suppose to look first.

We are renovating this trailer and we haven't even seen one work properly so it's all a stab in the dark!!! Good think we have some common sense and lots of energy!
Old 07-10-2003, 12:41 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
thanks

Mark, I was posting as you were answering so I didn't see your suggestion but I will check it out...I was just at the dealer checking out a toilet.

We also have to jury-rig the toilet insert [where the bowl attaches and goes into the tank] because it was glued and not screwed but I don't want to have to buy a new $400 tank. It's worth a try.

This is all the fun and adventure!!! I just hate leaks!!!
Old 07-10-2003, 12:41 PM   #6
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I agree, it looks like a common sewer adapter like at camping world.

I had to get a Thetford to Valerea adapter for my '71. It has a gasket on it.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote