Old 08-12-2004, 12:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Exclamation Discovery...Grey Bypass!!! Tank Size??

Ripping into my 65 trotter and I have just made a new discovery...all the gray water bypasses the black tank, but exits at the same opening, just bellow the black tank valve! The water flows freely through the drains and out!!! I assume this is not standard and one of the PO's did this??? correct??

Also does anyone know the original black water tank size of a 65 GT?

Any ideas on adding a grey to this set up, as my plumbing is not going into any tank whatsoever!

Thanks.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:32 PM   #2
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Gray Water

That is factory for that year.

Don

Old 08-12-2004, 12:39 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
not correct. this is how they were designed and built by the factory, until 1974. nobody cared about soapy water just falling on the ground back then.

temporary solution is to get a "blue-boy"...a portable tank on wheels. you put that under the trailer, and hook up w/ a hose to collect the grey water. adding a grey tank...can be done, but it'll take some creativity on your part. there are quite a few threads about adding tanks on the forum.

a "blue boy" is still handy to have, even if you do have an internal tank...its a pain to have to break camp, hookup, and drive to the dump station, if you weren't planning on leaving at the same time anyway. w/ the auxilliary tank, you can shuttle waste water to the dump station w/o breaking camp.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Just a reminder, if you're not connected to the park sewer line, OPEN THE VALVE.
This is what I hear from the better half when she sees the dish water and kitchen scraps floating up into the bathtub at the end of the day. I would guess that the drain pipes hold about 3-4 gallons of water.
Somewhere in the forum I think I read the tanks in the Globtrotters hold 13 gallons and the freshwater tank is 35?
Tom
Old 08-12-2004, 12:53 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
If you are saying to open the black tank valve so the grey water can back up into it, then you'll have to close it before you can hook up the hose to dump, and you'll have a brown surprise waiting for you when you take off the cap! We try not to use the sinks when we're unhooked, so we don't have that problem, and hook up to a blue tank when we have to. We have also suffered backups into the shower, but last time it was because I didn't open the vent on the blue tank.

Remember, when you are hooked up to sewer at the campground, don't leave the valve open. Only open the valve to empty it when you have to, so the whole mess will flush out at once, else the liquids will drain and leave you with a tank full of solids to contend with. Yuk!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 01:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
1) Black tank value should only be "opened" to dump. Never left open or you we have more than food scrapes under your trailer . I doubt those without wash water tanks have values that need to be opened at all. Direct discharge is standard. You may have a cap on the end of your discharge and this would back up the wash water into the shower . Also cap on and black open will back up you know what into the shower as in these years the black tank is usually above the floor . Even if it isn't and you just fill the black tank with wash water how are you going to remove the cap and attach a hose to dump without...you know
2) Water is 8 pounds per gallon. Select your blue boy by what you can handle. I have a 25 gallon and it is too heavy when full. If you get a big one get one with four wheels on the ground so you don't have to pick it up.
3) You will likly find that the fitting that comes with the blue tank will not work on your discharge if the discharge fitting on your trailer is white. You will need to order a separate Thetford attachment. It's a different size and the other brand "will not fit".
4) I would encourge you to spend a few hours reading the various threads. Unfortuately there isn't a list of what you should know before you touch your airstream. I started in on mine before I found the forum so I had to go get another whole trailer to start over. Here's a before you start I could have used. Don't throw anything away. Here's another. Don't try to get exterior dents out by pushing from the inside. And a third, if you don't have a CO detector and LP detector get them today. We really should have a list but then we won't have a forum. And finally, you cann't believe the difference new axles makes.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Yes, those single tanks are fun to work with. We usually end up in sites that don't have sewers. In order to avoid the "surprise" at the dump station I tilt the front of the coach down and run one of the sinks to clear the gunk out of the valve, then close it. The cap has a garden hose fitting on the bottom so with the sewer hose held underneath I open the cap and drain whatever clear water remains in the pipes. Then open the cap attach the hose, then dump.
Once had leaky faucet, forgot to turn off the spigot, and went out for the day. Filled the tank. Blue boy to the rescue.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:56 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Smile What a response!

Your recomends are much apreciated...thanks for sharing...I have been learning as I go...what a curve!

I spend way to much time here and my wife is giving me threats at this point (aside from the fact that if I am not on here I am working on the trailer!) That said she will be happy when it is all buttoned up and we are on the road...until then I think I have my hands full!

Blue boy is a great idea...I was unaware that it just dumped to the ground!

So, does anyone have any recomends for what the best location would be if I indeed do decide to add a Grey??? Would it be better near the center for weight, etc.

Also, FYI my fresh tank (which I need to replace) is 11x11x54=apx. 28 gal. I plan to go slighly bigger, maybe 35 gal.

So, if you use a 2/3 grey to 1/3 black ratio the 13 gal Black tank works into this tank size. I would need apx. a 20-25 gal. Grey tank...seem correct?

We plan on going on a two month trip, so it seems like a lot of work to set up the blue boy every time we want to used the sink...would rather put in the time now to add the grey if it can be done properly...any thoughts?

Thanks all...

Matthew
Old 08-12-2004, 02:57 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I couldn't find fittings to attach my blue boy and dump hose to the fittings on the trailer. I finally bought some at an RV shop and used a dremel to open the inside up a bit, and then it slid right on, nice and snug. Now both trailer and blue boy work with the same connector on the hose, and everyone's happy.

Well, as happy as you can be when you're dealing with a dump tank, anyway...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 05:08 PM   #10
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Putting gray water on the ground is a somewhat tricky thing. Of course, that's what the original setup was designed to do.

That said, it is now legal in certain states (e.g., Arizona, New Mexico) to put gray water on the ground with certain restrictions. Among other things, you may not put gray water from the kitchen sink onto the ground (unacceptable levels of fecal coliform readings), but it's ok from the shower and the bathroom sink.

In addition, even in states where it's allowed, you'll find that some parks will allow it, but others will (legally) not permit it. For example, the state of Arizona permits restricted gray water use, but Navajo National Monument (up by Kayenta, AZ) does not permit it.

If gray water is permitted in your state and the park you're in, then, you should use a wash tub to do your dishes and then put the water down your toilet (into the black water tank). You could then take showers and wash your hands in the bathroom sink, putting this water onto the ground. You'd want to get one of those sewer caps that includes a garden hose attachment and drain onto the ground through the garden hose.

Lynn