Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Converting fresh water tank to grey possible???

I swear I saw a thread about this not long ago, but cannot find the thread for love nor money! Our fresh water tank is a lovely shade of green and because of it's configuration, I'm not sure it's cleanable. (or that I want to try!) Is it doable to convert it to a grey water tank, which we need anyway?

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
I swear I saw a thread about this not long ago, but cannot find the thread for love nor money! Our fresh water tank is a lovely shade of green and because of it's configuration, I'm not sure it's cleanable. (or that I want to try!) Is it doable to convert it to a grey water tank, which we need anyway?

Kay
Not really, because it holds 50 gallons of water.

That's an extra 400 pounds of loading, in the wrong place, since your 72 is very prone to rear end separation as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We would change the location to above the axles. Would that make a difference?
Old 10-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
We would change the location to above the axles. Would that make a difference?
That's ball park where it's at now.

The light green colored tank, is original, back then.

Then what will you use for fresh water tank?

Andy
Old 10-19-2009, 06:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
That's ball park where it's at now.

The light green colored tank, is original, back then.

Then what will you use for fresh water tank?

Andy
So, the tank plastic itself is colored green?? I'll have to take a picture once the sun is up a bit higher and post it so you can see it and let us know if it's the normal color.

The fresh water tank is in front of the axels. We are planning on adding a gray water tank behind that, so the gray water tank would be above the axels like I show in the attached PDF file.

Andy, you mentioned earlier what sounded like a concern of using a 50 gal. gray water tank because of the weight. Any thoughts on what size tank would be ok? 99% of the time, either the fresh water tank would be full, or the contents of it would be distributed between the gray water and black water tanks. I can't see traveling with all 3 tanks full.

We were thinking that the green color was algae, and we'd never get it cleaned out completely, so why not use it for a gray water tank. We would buy a new fresh water tank if we did this.

I know we'd have to install new fittings to make the current fresh water tank into a gray water tank, but I've seen clamp on fittings online, so I don't think that's an issue. If we used this tank, I'd build a support structure very similar to the current fresh water tank (metal frame and 1" thick plywood under it). And put a bit of a slope into the bottom so that the tank drained towards the rear and the new 1½” drain fitting I’d install.

Chris
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Visio-little girl frame.pdf (16.0 KB, 132 views)
Old 10-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Andy,

Ran out back at lunch and took a few pictures of the fresh water tank. Love this working out of a home office! Now that you've mentioned it, and I'm looking at it closer, it does look like the plastic itself is colored green. It still looks pretty grody inside though.

Thoughts? Is the tank itself colored green and not algae? Think the tank is useable for fresh water? If not, what about our idea to convert it to a gray water tank?

Thanks,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2360.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	89343   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2359.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	89344  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2362.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	89345  
Old 10-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Bleach will cure most problems of tanks.
If you change it to grey water, you will need to put in a vent, which would be more trouble than filling with bleach and emptying a couple of times.
Most grey tanks are smaller than fresh water tanks as some water will be sent to the black water tank.
I would like to have a larger grey but not worth the install hassle, epecially since the present one is working.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,

Ran out back at lunch and took a few pictures of the fresh water tank. Love this working out of a home office! Now that you've mentioned it, and I'm looking at it closer, it does look like the plastic itself is colored green. It still looks pretty grody inside though.

Thoughts? Is the tank itself colored green and not algae? Think the tank is useable for fresh water? If not, what about our idea to convert it to a gray water tank?

Thanks,
Chris
That is not the green colored tank that was used.

Yours does have algae.

Your tank layout looks good.

Andy
Old 10-19-2009, 11:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Would a swimming pool supply have something to get rid of the algae? Might be easier to get rid of the algae than make changes. Maybe? I don't know myself, but I think I would give it a good try. Making changes always leads to more than originally thought.

If not, replacing the tank might be easier than changing the plumbing etc.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
That is not the green colored tank that was used.

Yours does have algae.

Your tank layout looks good.

Andy
Thanks Andy. That puts us back to where we thought we were. I don't know if we'll try and clean it out this fall, so it'll probably be a next spring project. If we can't get it clean, we'll buy a new fresh water tank and then look closer at converting this one to a gray water tank. That'll primarilly depend on being able to install a 1 1/2" drain on it somewhere - most likely out the bottom close to one corner.

Thanks for looking at the tank layout too! I thought it made the most sense to put the new gray water tank over the axels, as long as I can re-use this fresh water tank or find one thin enough to fit there.

Chris
Old 10-20-2009, 06:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hi Dave and Jim,

Thanks for your ideas as well. We know bleach will kill the algae, it really more of a question of can we truly get into all the nooks and crannies of the tank to ensure all the remnants of the gunk is all gone. Our Little Girl (72 Sovereign) does not have a gray water tank at all, so part of our refurb is to add one. Right now, she’s gutted, with just a new plywood floor, so all the plumbing, electrical, cabinets, etc. is going to be rebuilt.

Chris