Old 09-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #29
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Unfortunately, unless I'm dry camping, we probably would be dumping the grey tank every other day. I leave mine open with no negative consequences.

When we close the valve we still have to dump the gray tank every day or it will back up into the shower on day 2.

We always seem to have enough in the black tank for a woosh every day. It may not be as big of a woosh as we should have, but with a family of four, we seem to go quite often. Especially #1.

2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:27 AM   #30
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Here is what I found out in the past couple of days.
I dumped the black tank and flushed it. No more odor. However there is something stuck in the gate valve and keeping it from closing. This seems to be allowing flow through from the pipe to the vent. no more odor in the trailer. I have not been on top of the trailer and will likey not be able to until November.
The high temp has dropped from high 90s to low 70s. this may be helping as well.
Updates as I know them

Thanks for all you help.

Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:11 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member
1973 27' Overlander
Columbia , South Carolina

Originally Posted by garry
I bought a 360 from Camping World and NO more oders.

Not very expensive and it works.

A what?
Happy Camping
McLogger, AIR # 16452
1973 27' Overlander
McLogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member
1973 27' Overlander
Columbia , South Carolina

Originally Posted by InsideOut
the blue belly very well when emptying.

Where do you store yours when traveling?? I have not been able to figure out something with a SUV.
Happy Camping
McLogger, AIR # 16452
1973 27' Overlander
McLogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:18 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Originally Posted by McLogger
Where do you store yours when traveling?? I have not been able to figure out something with a SUV.
When traveling, we put it on the floor under our dinette, in the trailer...clean of course!

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #34
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

I notice that odors seem to be worse with the plastic toilet in my 06 25ft FB SE than they were with the porcelain throne in by 05 22ft CCD.... imagination? I don't know.

Paula Ford
Paula, your observation was the clue I needed to find the cause of occasional black tank odor in our Safari!

Odor was strong but seemed to come and go randomly. The vent pipes were sound. Roof skylight vents and pop-up exhaust fans were sealing properly. Toilet valve was sealing properly.

I was repairing some external PVC trim on the house and noticed it had been expanding and contracting significantly more that the wood trim, when I remembered you post.

I pulled up the Airstream's plastic toilet from the floor. Although the toilet floor seal looked fine, I measured out the clearance between top of the seal and the bottom sealing surface of the toilet. Sure enough there was a good 1/8" gap. The seal had been compressed BELOW the bottom sealing surface of the toilet.

So I figure the plastic toilet, like that PVC trim, is expanding when the trailer gets hot inside, compressing the toilet seal. After a few hot/cold cycles like that, it probably does not return back to it original shape.

I put a new seal on and rettached the toilet. So far no odor.

2006 Safari SE FB
2000 F150 4.2L
2011 F250 6.2L
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #35
The Real Chief Ding Dong
1966 28' Ambassador
Patterson , Louisiana
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post

I had wondered about getting a clear connector so I could see when it was ready to discontiue the flushing, but I have only seen the clear ones with the Flush King units. Is there just a plain clear connector that isn't an elbow. I don't want to have to find a place to store it separate from everything else. I don't have a separate place from everything else. An elbow won't fit in the sewer hose tube.
try this, we have the elbow version with no complaints:

RV Sewer Hose Extension Clear 5 in
In love with my Airstream
Melissa Dudoussat
1966 Ambassador Twin (Special Order)
missyloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member
2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
Smelly, smelly camper

We spent about two and a half months in our 23 ft Safari this winter. For the first time in the three plus years we have owned the trailer, we completely filled the black tank while spending Mardi Gras with the Texas Unit (yes they treated us Yankees nice). I dumped and spent another week on the road before stopping at the factory for some major maintenance. When we got home to Wisconsin, the weather was in the 70s, so the winterization was unnecessary. Regardless, we had an odor that reminded me of when a mouse crawled into our house oven and died. It seems to be from the black tank, and reading this discussion, I believe I should check my toilet seal. However, I looked at our vent valve on the flush line, and can not tell if it might be stuck open. Does anyone have a picture of the valve working properly? I banged the valve when I was looking things over and today the odor is gone. (it was almost 80) So, do they sometimes stick? It was replaced last year, so it should not be wore out. If it was stuck, is there a way to lubricate it? A diagram or photo of it operating properly would be helpful. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-02 14.02.46.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	598.7 KB
ID:	157354   Click image for larger version

Name:	fancy trailer shot.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	157355  

"Honor those who serve by listening to them and caring. Parades end, caring needs to be there every day."
slpiotro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The vent cap above may cure the issue, but in my old SOB, before any such contraptions were available, I had a persistent odor which was just due to the way the plumbing was run.

I installed a small computer muffin fan inside the vent stack at the top and ran power to the bathroom light. Anytime the light was on, the fan created a negative pressure in the black tank. Then when I flushed, the odor was prevented from rising into the bowl and interior ot the trailer. Worked well for 15 years....(had to replace the fan once).

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote