Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2006, 12:58 PM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
because they can. no law against it. and it works.
And a long time ago these were the only products made....and they worked well. The early versions of the "enviromently friendly" products tended not to do as good a job in odor control.

I've stayed with the earth friendly products over the last 8 years or so. Some work better than others, a lot has to do with outside temperatures. In hot weather it's not unknown for us to dump a second treatment of stuff in the toilet. Especially since it may take us in excess of 5 days before we have to dump.

I also have the tank rinse valve on my Classic and we do use that on the day of our departure for home.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #22
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
When we have full connections, I dump my black tank every day. Is that too often? I had been holding both tanks and dumping them both every day but the last time we had full connections I left the grey valve open except when I dumped the black.

I was told that if you leave the grey tank open you get a grease build up on the bottom of the tank and it is a mess to clean to clean out. But it seems to me if you are going to get a grease build up (ring around the bottom of the tank) you would get that if you hold, just at a higher level instead of the entire interior surface of the tank and it would still be a mess to clean out. Anyone have any experience with this "ring around the bottom of the tank"?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
When we have full connections, I dump my black tank every day. Is that too often? I had been holding both tanks and dumping them both every day but the last time we had full connections I left the grey valve open except when I dumped the black.
We don't dump our black that often and we don't have a grey tank. We only dump when "full" or especially odiferous. The reason is we want enough "liquid" in there to move the "solids" so they don't build-up. I guess if you use a bunch of water to fill your black tank before dumping it wouldn't be a problem...I guess we are just used to conserving water from boondocking with our small tanks (10 gal black/30 gal fresh). I would think if you use enough water & dump everyday you wouldn't need to use chemicals.

Our grey water bypasses the black altogether, unless up use a term cap and back it up into the black tank...yuck! So our grey is always running freely into the sewer connection or our blue belly. We've not had a problem with stinky pipes, but then I'm real careful about what I put down the drain and rinse the blue belly very well when emptying.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 08:36 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sewer Solution & the Girl's Toolkit

I'd never dump the black tank daily - unless I had six to eight people in the trailer. You'll empty the liquid, and start building the "black mountain" - which as it ages gets nastier and nastier. If you leave your black tank unemptied for 2-5 days, any solids in the tank would normally dissolve completely.

I use a Sewer Solution rather than the stinky slinky. www.sewersolution.com.

The hose is only one inch in diameter, and does allow you to put a backflow hose in the cap to move anything stubborn (usually toilet paper) that blocks the flow. Both the Drain cap and the hose are clear enough to see that everything has cleared.

My units also have built in tank flushers.

I notice that odors seem to be worse with the plastic toilet in my 06 25ft FB SE than they were with the porcelain throne in by 05 22ft CCD.... imagination? I don't know.

Anyway I've tried more than one brand of RV chemical, but have the best luck with the ordinary septic tank chemicals that are enzyme based. They will eat the grease in the gray tank too. Do check your vent pipe too. Insects LOVE to get in them and will block them up quickly.

NOW here's another "Girls Toolkit" (high heel shoe, kitchen knife) way to clear your roof vent without crawling up on the roof. Empty and rinse your black tank very thoroughly. Get your wet dry vacuum.. hook the hose on the blow side. Yep. Stick the hose up the drain and open the black gate... then run like hell when the hornets get blown out of the vent! I suppose a leaf blower might work too. (I considered vacuuming them into the tank, but then worried that they'd fly up the toilet when I flushed.)

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
no more oder

I bought a 360 from Camping World and NO more oders.

Not very expensive and it works.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:34 AM   #26

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
When we have full connections, I dump my black tank every day. Is that too often? I was told that if you leave the grey tank open you get a grease build up on the bottom of the tank and it is a mess to clean to clean out. "?
I think Shari noted that you want to dump your black tank as full as possible. This gives you the rush of liquids that will carry the solids out of the tank. I know on short trips we will fill that tank with water if necessary prior to dumping the black tank.

I've heard some folks espousing the theory of holding the grey tank also until it's near full. One reason I heard was not because of the grease issue (I think you dump enough soapy liquids out to take care of that), but more towards keeping the flying critters out of your grey tank. I've heard stories regarding some folks claiming that some septic systems have been the source. The other was that by allowing it to fill, you will then have water to flush your drain hose when you dump the black water tank. Unfortunately, unless I'm dry camping, we probably would be dumping the grey tank every other day. I leave mine open with no negative consequences.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 09-13-2006, 08:13 AM   #27
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Get your wet dry vacuum.. hook the hose on the blow side. Yep. Stick the hose up the drain and open the black gate... then run like hell when the hornets get blown out of the vent! I suppose a leaf blower might work too. (I considered vacuuming them into the tank, but then worried that they'd fly up the toilet when I flushed.)

Paula Ford
yikes. have you got a shop vac hose and adapter that fits the Thedford fitting on the sewer drain?

You know, you could vacuum them into the vacuum. yeah, I know..."then what do you do with them??!!"
Seriously, there's a guy (maybe more than 1) that does this to collect the bees for medical purposes. He sucks them out of the hive w/ a shop vac, and has it rigged up where they are dumped into a container of dry ice, which quick freezes them. Then he sells them to medical labs, who extract the venom for research and for making medicines for people w/ sting allergies.

ANYhoo....
I'm glad I covered my vent pipes w/ screens. I did have to get up on a ladder to do that, but I think it was a worthwhile effort.

Jack: I think another reason for filling the grey between dumps is for the same reason as doing it w/ the black; the "big woosh" theory applies to both. Even though its on a much smaller scale, there'll always be "leftovers"...
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:19 AM   #28

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
Jack: I think another reason for filling the grey between dumps is for the same reason as doing it w/ the black; the "big woosh" theory applies to both. Even though its on a much smaller scale, there'll always be "leftovers"...
Yep that would get food particles and any other goodies. I do a fill of the grey tank just before dumping the black. That way I can flush the nasties out of the drain hose. So my grey tank gets its flush on every outing.

I wouldn't subscribe to leaving the grey always open, unless you occasionally do a "big woosh" to that tank.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 09-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #29
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Unfortunately, unless I'm dry camping, we probably would be dumping the grey tank every other day. I leave mine open with no negative consequences.

Jack
When we close the valve we still have to dump the gray tank every day or it will back up into the shower on day 2.

We always seem to have enough in the black tank for a woosh every day. It may not be as big of a woosh as we should have, but with a family of four, we seem to go quite often. Especially #1.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:27 AM   #30
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Here is what I found out in the past couple of days.
I dumped the black tank and flushed it. No more odor. However there is something stuck in the gate valve and keeping it from closing. This seems to be allowing flow through from the pipe to the vent. no more odor in the trailer. I have not been on top of the trailer and will likey not be able to until November.
The high temp has dropped from high 90s to low 70s. this may be helping as well.
Updates as I know them

Thanks for all you help.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:11 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Columbia , South Carolina
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry
I bought a 360 from Camping World and NO more oders.

Not very expensive and it works.

Garry
A what?
McLogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Columbia , South Carolina
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
the blue belly very well when emptying.

Shari
Where do you store yours when traveling?? I have not been able to figure out something with a SUV.
McLogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 05:18 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLogger
Where do you store yours when traveling?? I have not been able to figure out something with a SUV.
When traveling, we put it on the floor under our dinette, in the trailer...clean of course!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

I notice that odors seem to be worse with the plastic toilet in my 06 25ft FB SE than they were with the porcelain throne in by 05 22ft CCD.... imagination? I don't know.

Paula Ford
Paula, your observation was the clue I needed to find the cause of occasional black tank odor in our Safari!

Odor was strong but seemed to come and go randomly. The vent pipes were sound. Roof skylight vents and pop-up exhaust fans were sealing properly. Toilet valve was sealing properly.

I was repairing some external PVC trim on the house and noticed it had been expanding and contracting significantly more that the wood trim, when I remembered you post.

I pulled up the Airstream's plastic toilet from the floor. Although the toilet floor seal looked fine, I measured out the clearance between top of the seal and the bottom sealing surface of the toilet. Sure enough there was a good 1/8" gap. The seal had been compressed BELOW the bottom sealing surface of the toilet.

So I figure the plastic toilet, like that PVC trim, is expanding when the trailer gets hot inside, compressing the toilet seal. After a few hot/cold cycles like that, it probably does not return back to it original shape.

I put a new seal on and rettached the toilet. So far no odor.

Thanks!
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #35
The Real Chief Ding Dong

1966 28' Ambassador
Patterson , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post

I had wondered about getting a clear connector so I could see when it was ready to discontiue the flushing, but I have only seen the clear ones with the Flush King units. Is there just a plain clear connector that isn't an elbow. I don't want to have to find a place to store it separate from everything else. I don't have a separate place from everything else. An elbow won't fit in the sewer hose tube.
try this, we have the elbow version with no complaints:

RV Sewer Hose Extension Clear 5 in
missyloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
Smelly, smelly camper

We spent about two and a half months in our 23 ft Safari this winter. For the first time in the three plus years we have owned the trailer, we completely filled the black tank while spending Mardi Gras with the Texas Unit (yes they treated us Yankees nice). I dumped and spent another week on the road before stopping at the factory for some major maintenance. When we got home to Wisconsin, the weather was in the 70s, so the winterization was unnecessary. Regardless, we had an odor that reminded me of when a mouse crawled into our house oven and died. It seems to be from the black tank, and reading this discussion, I believe I should check my toilet seal. However, I looked at our vent valve on the flush line, and can not tell if it might be stuck open. Does anyone have a picture of the valve working properly? I banged the valve when I was looking things over and today the odor is gone. (it was almost 80) So, do they sometimes stick? It was replaced last year, so it should not be wore out. If it was stuck, is there a way to lubricate it? A diagram or photo of it operating properly would be helpful. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-02 14.02.46.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	598.7 KB
ID:	157354   Click image for larger version

Name:	fancy trailer shot.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	157355  

Old 05-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The vent cap above may cure the issue, but in my old SOB, before any such contraptions were available, I had a persistent odor which was just due to the way the plumbing was run.

I installed a small computer muffin fan inside the vent stack at the top and ran power to the bathroom light. Anytime the light was on, the fan created a negative pressure in the black tank. Then when I flushed, the odor was prevented from rising into the bowl and interior ot the trailer. Worked well for 15 years....(had to replace the fan once).

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote