Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
1965 30' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
rutherfordton , North Carolina
Configuration of 72 Sovereign Septic?

Is there a black and a gray water tank on this 72 Sovereign? Is the black on the street side and does the gray pipe into it from the curb side? If so, the gray is severed on mine....Also, there seems to be missing an adaptor on the end of the sewer line at the terminus. I cannot connect the bayonet Thetford (male) connection (which is attached to the flexible hose). There is not enough clearance there given the angle iron that holds the tank in place, so I'm guessing there is a piece missing. Now why there would be a separate piece there I cannot divine (unless it is the aforementioned black water/gray water thing that I also don't have) hmmm...it would seem to make sense to simply attach the curved bayonet mounting to the sewer line! The piece I can see has a rubber o-ring on it. I have heard of an adaptor but having not seen it and being unable to explain the necessity for it, I am at a loss. Meantime...can't flush...or full house either.

One day I'll know enough so that I can pay back in information those that have helped me. Thanks.
Lance
acanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The '72 models had no grey tanks. If you open the rear compartment, you should see one dump valve slightly streetside of center, and a pipe coming from curbside to a double inlet pipe, which gathers black water as well as grey, and dumps it out the outlet in the street side of the rear frame.
It is possible you piping got shoved over slightly to the right, and that is why you can't hook up the slinky. Pictures would help in this diagnosis.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:16 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
1965 30' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
missing stuff?

Thanks. The dump valve is in fact street side of center (not exactly slightly though). The pipe coming from curbside seems to have been severed about a foot from that corner of the trailer. This pipe seems fed directly from the tub at least and probably everything on that side.

Given this possibility (which I think is probable), what does the connection piece look like that allows the grey water to mix with the black water? Does it seem likely that I should just replumb these exhaust pipes as best I can and not worry too much about aesthetics (if there are sewer aesthetics)?

Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
The '72 models had no grey tanks. If you open the rear compartment, you should see one dump valve slightly streetside of center, and a pipe coming from curbside to a double inlet pipe, which gathers black water as well as grey, and dumps it out the outlet in the street side of the rear frame.
It is possible you piping got shoved over slightly to the right, and that is why you can't hook up the slinky. Pictures would help in this diagnosis.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The connector is a double-inlet, single outlet PVC pipe. I'll take a photo of mine tonight. Even though ours has a grey tank, your setup should be similar enough you can get the idea.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:59 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
1965 30' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
connector

Well that makes perfect sense Terry, thanks. I always prefer broken parts that are intact rather than just parts missing and I have no idea what was there!

The part I don't completely understand is why the connector you have or I should have is not just glued to the terminus of the sewer pipe rather than (apparantly in my case at least) meant to be plugged onto the end with some kind of mount that I don't understand. I'm guessing the reasoning for this lies in the redesigns from year to year and the cross use of parts between models and the demand therefore for it to be this way.

My dilemma, I guess, is....does the connector you have plug into the trailer or is it an integral part. Of course you may have never moved it and don't know. I'm thinking it's time to improvise rather than worry about what the neighbors might think!

Thanks again.
Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
The connector is a double-inlet, single outlet PVC pipe. I'll take a photo of mine tonight. Even though ours has a grey tank, your setup should be similar enough you can get the idea.