Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2004, 06:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Silver Suz,

Will your refrigertor vent otherwise be closed off to the inside of the trailer? I would think you would want to prevent the air from the toilet vent from coming back into the trailer.

I for one will be interested in hearing about your results and progress. I still have a while before I have to make my final decisions about plumbing and want to be able to carefully weigh all of my options.

By the way I seem to recall your mentioning something about your other air handling things. I don't know if this would be of interest to you or not but I ran across some solar powered air vents that are capable of running 24 hours a day on solar power and a built-in recharable battery. There are sevaral different models listed at the following marine supply site.

http://www.defender.com/category.jsp...&sort=products

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:23 AM   #22

Angry Don't kick the 'bucket'

Hi all- this is my first post:

The 'sawdust' and bucket concept actually works quite well (with a little extra attention) and has been around for a long, long time. My grandfather did this in his remote cabin in southern Indiana and it never smelled like some of the funk I've been subjected to (coming from certain incinerating, power-sucking monsters).

My first exposure to an incinerating toilet was with my Dad's RV about 3 years ago. He made the purchase because he (like me) are hopeless eco-romanticists who were/are genuinely concerned about environmental impact. Our lesson learned regarding this purchase: don't. The amount of electricity they require makes them insanely wasteful. He thought that he would never need to tax the element because it was only going to get infrequent use by two people. He hadn't considered that even though it gets used less- the element must still reach a full electric "roast" to be non-hazardous. In short, dad learned (the hard $ way) what the actual market for one of these is: areas where traditional septic systems cannot be installed (perk issues)- but power is readily available. I've seen the PV powered models in action, but they need a lot of fussy attention to make them work properly (such as ideal temperatures), they have a much lower "load" capacity, and they will inevitably stink on occasion.

I would say most of the people that buy one of the incinerating toilets for mobile use are doing so because they think it will simplify the plumbing issues that they either don't understand or simply do want to be bothered by. To those people I caution that they may be in for a surprise when they see how inefficient (both financially and mechanically) they ultimately become.

There are numerous advantages to using the bucket method, but a big one for me has to be aesthetics. A beautifully crafted wood lid (completely hiding the bucket), or maybe even a "floating design" where a polished stainless steel dairy bucket rests on its lip through a precise hole cut in a raised "shelf", sound more like design elements I prefer to live with than some ubiquitous fiber-pod. But to each their own...

Hey- I just had an idea:

I wonder if the same biological media that you add to a composting doggie bucket ( http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1351&N=2001+113510+2146963 224 ) would be acceptable for a mobile (human) 'bucket-type' toilet application. Anyone?

Thanks for reading my babble...

Travis

Travis_in_MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Lightbulb Zippity DOO-Dah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis_in_MD

Hey- I just had an idea:

I wonder if the same biological media that you add to a composting doggie bucket ( http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1351&N=2001+113510+2146963 224 ) would be acceptable for a mobile (human) 'bucket-type' toilet application. Anyone?
Travis
No Sh..!

Yes, it works. You don't do a DNA test on what you put down the doggie earth closet do you? Doodie is doodie. Those things have been around for 50 years. And if you really want cheap, look at "Zep" brand "septic system and cesspool treatment." Works wonders in outhouses too, though you normally sprinkle only about a quarter of a cup once a week or so. It's an enzyme producing bacteria that eats sh.. and digests paper too. I'm planning on using it in my black water tank.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:09 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

It's amazing how technology goes around. The 1970 AirStreams offered a waste incineration system that pumped sewerage into a special manifold fitting on your automobile. Slowly, the waste is metered into the exhaust system where it (according to the onwers manual) is burned. Oh I bet that smelled really swell!
Welcome to the forum. (Dave Bickel, Pikesville, MD)
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 02:29 PM   #25

Oh poo

Septic "poo-eating" enzymes (I discovered yesterday) will raise the methane gas output to deadly levels in a hurry- so unless you have a gas trap ("P" trap) and a direct outside vent- the 'enzyme in a bucket' experiment could be toxic to your nervous and respiratory systems- and possibly fatal! I guess it doesn't matter if you put these enzymes in a doggie bucket (OUTSIDE) because they are not in an indoor environment you are forced to share air with. Putting them down your black tank sounds like an awesome way to speed things up- and no worries because you have a gas trap to prevent accidentally breathing methane into your lungs.

Perhaps the ultimate way of finding the most livable solution to the poo problem lies in combining all of these ideas and technology into a unified method. May I suggest squatting directly over the lit burner of your stovetop, throwing a ladle of sawdust on it, and quickly running outside for some fresh air (?)....

Thanks for the welcome-
Travis_in_MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:54 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

woodstock , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver suz
No ,the brand I am thinking of is a Sunmar rv /marine composting toilet that is made for harsh extremes like getting tossed about on a boat. It requires a small fan in the stack that draws the air out ( runs thru a charcoal filter) to keep composting oders out of the enclosed environment. It does have a small 15 watt heater coil than can be run on 110W or 12 volt (5 watt solar panel) to speed up the process, but isnt necessary. Well I ordered one 2 days ago, so I'll keep everyone posted. We'll try it first in a small room in the barn, which needed some "facilities", so it can out-gas i.e. get the "new product smell" out and see if it is tolerable for me in the trailer. Will let you know. Summerkid, keep us posted on your journeys. Martha's Vineyard sounds great! Let me know if there is a good rv spot. thanks, silver suz
How has the Sun mar composting toilet worked out for you? We just bought a 1969 International and are thinking about installing one. Thanks!
edmund015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:43 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I would also be interested in an update. There is still time for me to make the final decision about what type of toilet to use.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:52 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
silver suz ghosted us a long time ago, and she had already abandoned the attempt at rehabbing a vintage model with a different toilet. i hope her silence is because everything worked out perfectly with the new trailer vs. a dire outcome given the health problems that seemed to make every day most likely her last.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:06 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
I am so glad this thread came back up.

Recently we were informed that we do not have the space to put a conventional septic system on our waterfront lot and were advised to look into the Waterloo Biofilter system. I also researched the MicroFast septic system. This field of "sewage treatment" is very fascinating.

One of the biggest turn offs - we have found with trailering is the famous "Black Tank" and dumping of ones sewage!!! .

The Sun-Mar toilets have made leaps and bounds in their development over the years and when handled right - just as your own septic systems. The use of these eco-friendly systems makes PERFECT sense.

It has given Peter and I an idea to look into several eco-friendly systems that we can use in the refit of the overlander. There is plenty of room for the low profile/compact Sunmar composting toilet.

MicroFAST has a marine Greywater treatement system that might work for the greywater. But the very least we could instal a grease/sludge filter ahead of the grey tank - and a "mini-treatment" system that the grey water circulates into or is gravity fed. Thus when it is ready to be discharged the effluent values would be much lower than regular.

Small independent solar systems can be used to power the small fans and heating elements that are required.

Really worth more research - but if anyone else is looking into it or anyone who has recently used any of these systems either in your homes. cabins, cottages etc. please share it with us...
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:09 PM   #30

Currently Looking...
Bry , Glouster
I used a Sun-Mar Excel NE (non electric) model at a cottage a couple of years ago. http://www.sun-mar.com/products/productlist.php I was there for about a week, and it worked great. The owner says he rotated the drum (about 4 cranks or so) once every week. No smell at all, I was quite impressed. (and he had a great flower garden!!) I'm thinking of doing something similar in my Airstrem restoration.
1965GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:35 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
great news. how did you feel about the size of it? they look quite a bit different.