Old 12-16-2004, 10:41 AM   #15

Composting that... Is quite simple. It is scary stuff of course. If ya do it the simple way, or ways, its odorless... Composting toilets take up too much space. They are nifty, but too complicated...

Old 12-16-2004, 02:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Incinerating Toilet

In some areas of the outer banks NC the soil won't perk. Some people have propane toilets. One has to be schooled in the proper usage of these facilities as what fires off the burn cycle is the opening of a lower flapper valve which allows the waste to slide down from the dry box into the fire box.

DON'T hold the "empty" button down or you'll have really red cheeks.

Know what burns my a..? A flame about that high!

Old 12-16-2004, 03:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Life's Little Lessons

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
DON'T hold the "empty" button down or you'll have really red cheeks. Know what burns my a..? A flame about that high!
Bet you only have to do that ONCE to learn it REAL good!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 07:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
While using a composting toilet on your own land may be between you and your local health department, using one on the road is like dumping your black tank in someone else's yard, isn't it? Not everyone is interested in being so earthy. Hel... they don't allow "grey" water dumping most places.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
As I understand the concepts of the composting toilets that I am aware of they do not require dumping when you are out on the road (unless you are out on the road for a very long time). Instead they retain and recyle waste (without adding a lot of water as is more typical of RV toilets by the way). The intent is that when it is time to dump, the content has been transformed to what is essentially nutrient rich dirt.

Here are some website pointers to companys and/or information sources for those that are interesting in pursuing it further:

http://www.biolet.com/index.htm
http://www.compostingtoilet.org/
http://www.sun-mar.com/ <-- a unit especially for marine and RV's
http://www.envirolet.com/
http://www.compostingtoilet.com/index.htm <-- a very large system

Malcolm
Old 12-17-2004, 08:43 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Malcolm- That's the one we ordered- for rv's. The one advantage is that switching the bathroom from the back to the side was much easier. The side bath is pretty cramped. But still it's not the "sitting on the toilet while taking a shower" kind! After hearing all the stories about dumping the black water tank- I just didn't think I could handle all the smells and chemicals by myself, so we are trying this method. I was impressed at how many are in use world-wide. But am I the first in the forum to try this toilet? We plan to run a sloped pipe through the back of the pantry and vent out through the refer venting area, ( remember no propane) to avoid piercing the roof. Any comments about this? Thanks ,Silver suz.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Silver Suz,

Will your refrigertor vent otherwise be closed off to the inside of the trailer? I would think you would want to prevent the air from the toilet vent from coming back into the trailer.

I for one will be interested in hearing about your results and progress. I still have a while before I have to make my final decisions about plumbing and want to be able to carefully weigh all of my options.

By the way I seem to recall your mentioning something about your other air handling things. I don't know if this would be of interest to you or not but I ran across some solar powered air vents that are capable of running 24 hours a day on solar power and a built-in recharable battery. There are sevaral different models listed at the following marine supply site.

http://www.defender.com/category.jsp...&sort=products

Malcolm
Old 03-31-2005, 12:23 PM   #22

Angry Don't kick the 'bucket'

Hi all- this is my first post:

The 'sawdust' and bucket concept actually works quite well (with a little extra attention) and has been around for a long, long time. My grandfather did this in his remote cabin in southern Indiana and it never smelled like some of the funk I've been subjected to (coming from certain incinerating, power-sucking monsters).

My first exposure to an incinerating toilet was with my Dad's RV about 3 years ago. He made the purchase because he (like me) are hopeless eco-romanticists who were/are genuinely concerned about environmental impact. Our lesson learned regarding this purchase: don't. The amount of electricity they require makes them insanely wasteful. He thought that he would never need to tax the element because it was only going to get infrequent use by two people. He hadn't considered that even though it gets used less- the element must still reach a full electric "roast" to be non-hazardous. In short, dad learned (the hard $ way) what the actual market for one of these is: areas where traditional septic systems cannot be installed (perk issues)- but power is readily available. I've seen the PV powered models in action, but they need a lot of fussy attention to make them work properly (such as ideal temperatures), they have a much lower "load" capacity, and they will inevitably stink on occasion.

I would say most of the people that buy one of the incinerating toilets for mobile use are doing so because they think it will simplify the plumbing issues that they either don't understand or simply do want to be bothered by. To those people I caution that they may be in for a surprise when they see how inefficient (both financially and mechanically) they ultimately become.

There are numerous advantages to using the bucket method, but a big one for me has to be aesthetics. A beautifully crafted wood lid (completely hiding the bucket), or maybe even a "floating design" where a polished stainless steel dairy bucket rests on its lip through a precise hole cut in a raised "shelf", sound more like design elements I prefer to live with than some ubiquitous fiber-pod. But to each their own...

Hey- I just had an idea:

I wonder if the same biological media that you add to a composting doggie bucket ( http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1351&N=2001+113510+2146963 224 ) would be acceptable for a mobile (human) 'bucket-type' toilet application. Anyone?

Thanks for reading my babble...

Travis

Old 03-31-2005, 05:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Lightbulb Zippity DOO-Dah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis_in_MD

Hey- I just had an idea:

I wonder if the same biological media that you add to a composting doggie bucket ( http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1351&N=2001+113510+2146963 224 ) would be acceptable for a mobile (human) 'bucket-type' toilet application. Anyone?
Travis
No Sh..!

Yes, it works. You don't do a DNA test on what you put down the doggie earth closet do you? Doodie is doodie. Those things have been around for 50 years. And if you really want cheap, look at "Zep" brand "septic system and cesspool treatment." Works wonders in outhouses too, though you normally sprinkle only about a quarter of a cup once a week or so. It's an enzyme producing bacteria that eats sh.. and digests paper too. I'm planning on using it in my black water tank.

Tin Lizzie
Old 04-01-2005, 02:09 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

It's amazing how technology goes around. The 1970 AirStreams offered a waste incineration system that pumped sewerage into a special manifold fitting on your automobile. Slowly, the waste is metered into the exhaust system where it (according to the onwers manual) is burned. Oh I bet that smelled really swell!
Welcome to the forum. (Dave Bickel, Pikesville, MD)
Old 04-02-2005, 03:29 PM   #25

Oh poo

Septic "poo-eating" enzymes (I discovered yesterday) will raise the methane gas output to deadly levels in a hurry- so unless you have a gas trap ("P" trap) and a direct outside vent- the 'enzyme in a bucket' experiment could be toxic to your nervous and respiratory systems- and possibly fatal! I guess it doesn't matter if you put these enzymes in a doggie bucket (OUTSIDE) because they are not in an indoor environment you are forced to share air with. Putting them down your black tank sounds like an awesome way to speed things up- and no worries because you have a gas trap to prevent accidentally breathing methane into your lungs.

Perhaps the ultimate way of finding the most livable solution to the poo problem lies in combining all of these ideas and technology into a unified method. May I suggest squatting directly over the lit burner of your stovetop, throwing a ladle of sawdust on it, and quickly running outside for some fresh air (?)....

Thanks for the welcome-
Old 07-21-2006, 05:54 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

woodstock , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver suz
No ,the brand I am thinking of is a Sunmar rv /marine composting toilet that is made for harsh extremes like getting tossed about on a boat. It requires a small fan in the stack that draws the air out ( runs thru a charcoal filter) to keep composting oders out of the enclosed environment. It does have a small 15 watt heater coil than can be run on 110W or 12 volt (5 watt solar panel) to speed up the process, but isnt necessary. Well I ordered one 2 days ago, so I'll keep everyone posted. We'll try it first in a small room in the barn, which needed some "facilities", so it can out-gas i.e. get the "new product smell" out and see if it is tolerable for me in the trailer. Will let you know. Summerkid, keep us posted on your journeys. Martha's Vineyard sounds great! Let me know if there is a good rv spot. thanks, silver suz
How has the Sun mar composting toilet worked out for you? We just bought a 1969 International and are thinking about installing one. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2006, 08:43 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I would also be interested in an update. There is still time for me to make the final decision about what type of toilet to use.

Malcolm
Old 07-25-2006, 08:52 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
silver suz ghosted us a long time ago, and she had already abandoned the attempt at rehabbing a vintage model with a different toilet. i hope her silence is because everything worked out perfectly with the new trailer vs. a dire outcome given the health problems that seemed to make every day most likely her last.