Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Actually I don't think we use any more water in the trailer, about 2.5 gallons a day per person than we do when backpacking and no backpacker is taking that out.
Actually that is not quite true, I have been on caving expeditions where we retained and packed everything out, and I do mean EVERYTHING.
It is hard to get excited about a small amount of grey water when camped in a field with 100 cows. Been there done that
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis
Actually I don't think we use any more water in the trailer, about 2.5 gallons a day per person than we do when backpacking and no backpacker is taking that out.
Actually that is not quite true, I have been on caving expeditions where we retained and packed everything out, and I do mean EVERYTHING.
It is hard to get excited about a small amount of grey water when camped in a field with 100 cows. Been there done that
Lol - no, I'd say a field of cows is its own environmental hazard...

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Lightbulb Here is a solution

Anyone who is in this area is welcome to dump their gray (not black) tank on my front or back lawn. The water is obviously good for the lawn. The detergent that might be in it breaks up the soil to some degree and helps the water penetrate rather than evaporate. Any small food particles will quickly breakdown and contribute nutrients to the grass. If you spit watermelon seeds into the sink, perhaps I can harvest some next summer.

If you pee or poop in your shower or galley sink or vanity sink, this offer is void.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
I'll be right over!

Old 01-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
I'll be right over!
Just as long as you have a notarized statement regarding the peeing and pooping disclaimer.

I am somewhat concerned about the origin of your heightened sensitivity to gray water.

Ken
Old 01-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Papabear Whitmore. Can we arrange visiting hours with The Cats at the same time?!

Old 01-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Quote:
Papabear Whitmore. Can we arrange visiting hours with The Cats at the same time?!
I take that as a compliment.

You may visit the cats any time you wish. Daisy is always happy to see company. Tiger is as sweet a cat as I have known, but he is scared to death of people he doesn't know. That includes Susan and I until he hears our voices. I don't think his vision is very good.
The only one of the older cats that is still with us is Kougar. Ember passed away about two weeks ago from the effects of old age. ( Kidney failure and extreme anemia) she was 19 1/2. She and her sister Ashlee, who passed away last year, were the two original cats that came with us when we moved here from Washington State in 1993.

If you haven't seen this thread, it has all six of them that were with us for Christmas 2009
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...ets-59102.html
Ken
Old 01-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
I have seen it! They're all so cute. I just wished our pets lived longer...

One of my cats (the ex got the kids) is one of the really shy ones -- there are people who have been in and out of that house for years and have never seen the cat!

Old 01-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
That's why I have a used trailer, me buck.
Zlee- priceless reply! Gotta run, time for "Portlandia" on Hulu...Happy trails to you!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #70
1 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
powder springs , Georgia
A few ounces of bleach might attenuate the bacteria growth and buy you time before finding a dump station. I'm adding a 20 gallon tank to my caravel and would like to thank every one who has contributed to this post and will keep my tanks seporate.
bobmstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #71
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
One of my cats (the ex got the kids)
That happened to me as well. I think I got the better part of the deal...
Old 01-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #72
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Anderson , South Carolina
I have a 71 excella with black water tank only, the grey water connects outside the
black water dump valve. how is the best way to get legal for the campgrounds on
this model as.?
Mrad7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #73
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrad7777 View Post
I have a 71 excella with black water tank only, the grey water connects outside the
black water dump valve. how is the best way to get legal for the campgrounds on
this model as.?
You don't need to do anything, as long as you would be hooked up to their sewer system..

BGut, if you are "not" hooked up to their system, then you need wat is called a "tote tank".

That tank will, within it's limits, handle the gray water. Then you tote the tank to wherever you can drain it into a sewer system.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote