You haven't camped until your single tank backs up in to your shower; jim

Old 01-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
That's also when you learn more 4 letter words, like.......WORK......LOTS of it, and so on.

Andy

Old 01-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dishpan in the sink. Dump down the toilet when dishes are done. Check carefully for silverware in the dishpan before dumping. Of course paper plates, etc. can be used to minimize doing dishes.

Smallish bucket in the shower. Plug the shower drain. Shower. Use a plastic cup to fill the bucket. (Taco Bell large cups work well.) Dump down the toilet. Pull plug and drain the last inch or two - whatever gets hard to pick up from the shower floor with the cup.

I had a pump that ran on a drill to empty the shower into the toilet - pain in butt and took twice as long. I don't worry about small amounts going into gray tank, just equalizing the load as much as possible.

It's basic and low tech, but pumping back & forth takes equipment, expense and time. A small plastic bucket has a myriad of uses.

Paula
Old 01-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi
Haha, that quote would go well in a fortune cookie.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Sorry, but I think the whole gray water thing is such nonsense. We use organic biodegradeable soaps. When it comes time, I'll be looking for places that would allow the dumping of gray water. I stopped at a friends house and hooked up to his shore and water supply. He was happy to allow extra water to water the ground. I realize most campsites don't allow it. However, it seems silly. I have been to a campsite that had an outside shower, and outdoor spigot. People took showers (with suits on) and washed their dishes at the spigot. To think that somehow the same activities inside a trailer magically transforms those same activities into a biological nightmare just because they ran several feet through ABS is ridiculous. Maybe someday we'll see a campground that has sand filters at each spot for folks greywater and only hookups for black. Makes much better ecological sense. I have been looking for ways to add gray water to my home system. Especially in a place like Colorado or AZ, you would think they would want the extra water topside.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
robwok

Some people dump things down the sink, that others would not.

How about just simply grease, or coffee grounds?

Yes, people do those kind of things, that obvious don't disappear like the water does.

They do it at home, so why not in the RV as well?

There are really 3 answers.

Yes, no, and maybe.

Unfortunately, the yes won't work, and the maybe is an opinion.

Therefore the only for sure answer is "NO" dumping of gray water.

Yes, we do have concerned owners, but again, some are not.

Andy
Old 01-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Gray water in most places we camp kind of comes under "Don't ask, don't tell"

It is absurd to camp at Ohio state at a 2 week long horse show and see warning signs about gray water while hundreds of horses are leaving deposits or washing down the streets with other fluid discharges
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Ever seen a campground where gray water can be dumped freely? me neither, but I bet you could smell it! Too much food ,etc in there not to create a problem. jim
Old 01-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #23
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
There are various laws governing the use of grey water. In NM and AZ, grey water can be used, but with quite a few restrictions. Among those restrictions, one particularly important for RVers is that grey water cannot be recycled if it comes from the kitchen sink.

These laws are written so that they do not apply where more local restrictions forbid its use. Hence, if, say, Albuquerque does not permit grey water recycling, then the statewide law is void.

Here is some more reading about grey water recycling:

Gray Water Policy Center

Lynn
Old 01-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
At many of the rallies gray water on the ground has and even is still allowed and of course prior to 1973 or so when Oregon started this gray water thing no trailer had a gray tank. It just went in a bucket and watered the nearest tree. As long as it is not retained in a tank for a while there is not an odor problem and I have never noticed any problems at any of these places from gray water.

If you sniff the dish wash water in your sink there is no problem but they put ventilating fans in the bathroom for a reason
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 01-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis
As long as it is not retained in a tank for a while there is not an odor problem and I have never noticed any problems at any of these places from gray water.
And that's it right there. If you let even fresh water sit in an enclosed tank for a while, it'll start to stink, being full of all kinds of squirmy little life.

I doubt there'd be a problem if a few people dump fresh or even non-fresh grey water a few times. A busy campground having lots of RVs drop their grey water over the course of an entire year? how many gallons is that? I'd be starting to worry about the physical structure of the place eventually, much less worry about the acquifer once it hit some critical point.

I used to work for a hydrogeology company. The point is not, or should not be, "is this what's handy for me?" Yeah, one hiker leaving their garbage in the wilderness isn't going to hurt anything much, but twenty? Fifty? A hundred? How much garbage is allowed before it starts harming an environment, or even just the the enjoyment of that environment?

Believe me, you start tracking the plumes of things people dump on the ground and realize how far that stuff travels, and you stop believing in "just this once won't harm anything much."

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
while this is digressing slightly, the link Eubank posted is interesting. It appears much of this info on gray water systems is based on a home generating 400 gallons of gray water a day. Brings up the question of what the heck are they doing with it all? The 2 of us at home use approximately 2000 gallons a month for everything. That is 66 gallons a day for 2 people and a good percentage of that goes down the toilet so it would not go in a gray water system.
Our camping water usage bondocking is around 5 gallons a day. possibly a bit more with a water hookup.
No wonder I keep hearing about domestic water shortages.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 01-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
And that's it right there. If you let even fresh water sit in an enclosed tank for a while, it'll start to stink, being full of all kinds of squirmy little life.

I doubt there'd be a problem if a few people dump fresh or even non-fresh grey water a few times. A busy campground having lots of RVs drop their grey water over the course of an entire year? how many gallons is that? I'd be starting to worry about the physical structure of the place eventually, much less worry about the acquifer once it hit some critical point.

I used to work for a hydrogeology company. The point is not, or should not be, "is this what's handy for me?" Yeah, one hiker leaving their garbage in the wilderness isn't going to hurt anything much, but twenty? Fifty? A hundred? How much garbage is allowed before it starts harming an environment, or even just the the enjoyment of that environment?

Believe me, you start tracking the plumes of things people dump on the ground and realize how far that stuff travels, and you stop believing in "just this once won't harm anything much."
We had a neighbor who "knew" he could dump the oil from his oil changes on his dirt driveway. A year after he moved away the oil started coming through the basement wall - totally destroyed the waterproofing and causing all the mortar joints to crack. The whole side wall would have caved in if we hadn't had it dug up and replaced. This happened when I was a kid. No EPA or soil remediation. We couldn't have paid for it if we'd known what to do. I do remember the contractor who did the wall repair stacking piles of soil on our cement driveway and actually getting some to burn! He did haul away a lot of dirt and replaced it with clean clay fill.

I wonder if it's broken down any in the last 60 years.

Paula
Old 01-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
I wonder if it's broken down any in the last 60 years.
That's a rhetorical question, right?

So, think about it, folks. You have a place that didn't used to have a lot is water with added bacteria in it going through it constantly. Suddenly, you add lots of water running through it.

Suddenly, you have an environmental factor that wasn't there before. How does it change things in that environment?

Just clean water will change an environment, especially if it gets cold enough to freeze there. Water with a lot of things in it that local fauna and flora can feed on or be harmed by? Biological or not, would YOU want to have soap suds surrounding you all the time? What would it to do your eyes, your skin? And if it turned out to be great for you, helped you to grow beyond all bounds?

In the UK, I live in an area that was drained centuries ago, but used to be a bog. Even now, the incidence of people there having fungus infections in respiratory systems, skin, and eyes is higher than in other places that didn't used to be a swamp.

All healthy soil has fungus and other living organisms in it. It holds the environment together, quite literally. If you add nutrients to the soil, those systems can go severely out of whack and the fungi can outstrip their environment quite quickly. Organisms like you and I will start gradually noticing sinus, skin, lung, or eye problems -- would we connect that to occasionally dumping our grey tanks in the driveway, I wonder?

And that's just one facet of many facets to consider. The earth can recover from a lot of the things we throw at it, but it can't stay the same trying to do it. With power, famously, comes responsibility.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote