Old 07-21-2004, 06:13 PM   #15
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Chuck,
I like your system if you want to do one small tank, and if you're not re-inforcing the frame.
For 2 large tanks, like what my 63 is getting, I prefer the simpoler slide in, only because I learned how much the steel angle weighs. It quickly adds 100lbs or more of towing weight, which may or may not make a difference to some, but I want to stay out of the 3/4 ton TowVehicle price range. I have already added 150lbs of steel to the entire frame, to make it strong enough for the 2 tanks.

Old 07-27-2004, 02:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
The Inca site makes custom...

Uwe,
Actually the Inca Plastics site does make custom tanks and at reasonable prices from what I can tell so far.

http://www.incaplastics.com/rvtanks.htm

They want a fax of a drawing or an emailed request for quote if the shape is a simple one.

Malcolm

Old 07-27-2004, 02:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Looks like a dual tank solution is where you're leaning. IMHO separate black & grey tanks are a must, I'd do everything possible to that end.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Systems with combined gray and black?

I believe I read somewhere that some of the newer trailers (AS?) have been using combined gray and black water. I think I understand everything that you all have said here about keeping the fluids seperate but I still have an interest in combining them for various reasons and wonder if anyone has any pointers to information about systems that do combine them. I am wanting to carefully weigh the pros and cons of the issue before I finish making up my mind.

My current thinking about a combined tank would give me 40 gallons for both mounted cross-wise just behind the rear axle. That roughly matches the capacity of my fresh water tank. It also is in a location that would put one end directly under my toilet location. I was intending to install a macerator pump on the output. Here are the scenarious I have been envisioning and the pros and cons that I can think of:

1.) Serious boondocking: I would need to find a source of fresh water about the same time I would need to dump my holding tank. This does not seem too be a particularly serious issue providing there is some facility within a reasonable distance.

2.) The other extreme - full camp hookup: I would have to monitor my holding tank level and dump it periodically when it is full enough rather than letting the grey water drain all the time. It seems like the macerator pump might give me more flexibility as to when I did that in that I might not have to wait until the tank was at least 3/4's full. While this might be a bit inconvenient if I am producing a lot of grey water it seems like I would have to be monitoring my black water tank anyway. Will I have to drain the tank before each shower to be on the safe side?

3.) Water hookup - no direct drain at campsite: In this scenario it seems like I will have to monitor my tank levels regardless of if they are combined or not. I picture having to have a blue boy tank to cart the fluids off to a dump location regardless of combined or not.

4.) Other scenarios with water and without a dump site available: I don't have any feel for how often this type of scenario is likely to happen. In general it seems a bit unlikely to me that we will find ourselves in such a situation.

I would appreciate any feed back on the various scenarios above. Have I missed something alltogether?

Thanks,

Malcolm
Old 07-29-2004, 04:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
Malcolm, It looks like you are very well informed & aware of both sides of the 'equation'. It is true that A/S has gone to a single tank solution in some of their floor-plans ONLY because of weight placement/distribution. My main reason for bias toward the dual tank solution comes from our experience with our last sob, a Casita. It comes with a small, non-metered/monitored grey tank. Actually none of the tanks have any monitoring except 'manual'! No matter how much we tried it seemed the only time we knew for sure the grey tank was at capacity is when the shower pan (lowest drain point) started to fill with standing water. I tried all kinds of means to avoid this , BUT it still happened more than once after we had a good feel for our trailer. POINT: With only grey water it was never a concern other than stopping, draining, & continuing. If black water were mixed, a number of sanitation issues would arise. Don't know how this would affect (effect?!) athlete's foot ...but!!!! Anyway, I believe your cognitive approach to the dilemma is carefully balanced. Good luck with your solution.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
One-way valve between shower and tank?

How about putting a one-way valve on the shower drain? This way if the combined gray/black tank was full the shower would stop draining but would not back fill with anything from the tank. Who sells this type of valve?

Malcolm
Old 07-29-2004, 05:01 PM   #21
Site Team

, Minnesota
Oneway valve

Malcolm,
I'm adding a one-way valve on the shower drain. I don't know if or how well it will work. It's a common check valve used on irrigation pumps. See the red and blue plastic thing low right center of the picture.
If it doesn't work, I'll take it out. Cost is $10.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	utilruns002.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	8087  
Old 07-29-2004, 08:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Check valve?

I would like to add a similar valve to my shower and see what happens. Am I going to be able to find this at a local hardware or plumbing store?

Malcolm
Old 07-29-2004, 09:16 PM   #23
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
I would like to add a similar valve to my shower and see what happens. Am I going to be able to find this at a local hardware or plumbing store?

Malcolm
Yeah. Home Depot has them, near the sump pump section. Also check "Fernco" brand rubber tees and elbows in the same area. Better for plumbing connections I think because they soak up a lot of vibration.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I like the idea of flexible plumbing...

Don,

Thanks for the tip about flexible fittings (and where to find the check valve). That seems like a great idea for the type of application we are working on.

Malcolm
Old 08-04-2004, 07:07 PM   #25
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
Uwe,
Actually the Inca Plastics site does make custom tanks and at reasonable prices from what I can tell so far.

http://www.incaplastics.com/rvtanks.htm

They want a fax of a drawing or an emailed request for quote if the shape is a simple one.

Malcolm
They will after making a mold for each tank you need, and if you buy in quantity.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:10 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Flexible tanks

For special applications you might consider a flexible tank. I've used these for years on sail and powerboats and they are great for fillling in tight, irregular spaces. You can always use two or more for added capacity and weight distribution. They aren't cheap, but they will do the job.

http://www.imtra.com/index.cfm?fa=pr...productId=1680
Old 08-05-2004, 06:42 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Flexible tanks issue?

AirConditioner,

I am willing to consider using flexible tanks if it makes sense. I did find a less expensive source for them at the following location that someone else in these forums pointed to:
http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/VTWASTETANKS.htm

It seemed to me that the marine style installations typically have a macerator pump on the input side of the flexible tanks. Also the typical fittings on the flex tanks seem to be no bigger than 1-1/2". I don't know about using a marine style toilet with a macerator pump. I would guess they would tend to be a bit noisy for middle of the night use.

Uwe,

You are right about Inca. I found out the same when I asked for a quote for a specific size. I did find another site that claims they can make custom sizes by welding flat stock together. I have not requested a quote from them but you might want to check them out:

http://all-rite.com/

I think that I will check with them about something and I will post what I find out here in this thread. Otherwise I have almost decided to use a flat bottomed water holding tank which I would mount with a slight slope.

Malcolm
Old 08-05-2004, 07:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
All-Rite tank qoute...

I just called the customer service number at All-Rite (800-642-9988) and was given an initial quote over the phone. I was told that they would want me to fax a drawing with the exact details for final confirmation. They make welded polyethelene tanks out of flat sheets. I asked about a tank with the following aproximate dimensions:

20" wide
54" long
9" tall

I asked for a slope from one end to the other and a 3" fitting on the side at the down-hill end. This overall size would be around 40 gallons by the way.

I was told that a tank of that size and description would cost $366.77. The manufacturing lead time would be about 48 hours. Shipping costs from California to Oregon would be about $25. While that price is a bit higher than what I have been seeing for stock items it does not sound too bad for a completely custom product. For perspective I have found completely rectangular water tanks with no fittings in that general size for around $200 or so. RV Parts Outlet has one of that size in stock at their warehouse for $222.00 (no shipping charge since they are local for me). I have been told that water tanks are typically not as thick as holding tanks though. I have seen stock 40 gal holding tanks of the same aproximate capacity for in the range of $175 to $240.

My problem is that I have been having trouble finding a stock holding tank of about 40 gallons that will fit between the frame cross-members without any modification (to the cross-members). I figure the max width I can fit in is 23-1/2" wide. I want to put the tank in the cavity just behind my rear axle. That space is still between the wheel wells so I need to have the outlet be on the side of the tank facing toward the rear of my trailer. I have found combinations that come close but not close enough. Does anyone know of any sources that have not already been mentioned in this thread?

Malcolm