Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2007, 05:29 AM   #1
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Combination Grey and Black Tank Idea!

I'm still a little ways out on making a final decision on this, but I thought I'd put it out there for opinions. On our little 1959 18 footer, I have dropped the idea of a wet bath and a shower all together. there's just not enough room, and with wood panels on the walls, I thought it too risky.

So, that got me thinking about simplifying the plumbing as well. Instead of a grey tank AND a black tank, I think I'm going to combind them into one larger tank. I have a 27 gallon tank that I had originally planned on using as the grey only. The plumbing requirements are now 1 sink, and 1 toilet. In looking at our potential use of this trailer, we don't plan on "soiling the throne" unless it's an absolute emergency, and the lack of a shower greatly cuts down on grey water. When I get to the actual plumbing part, I thought i might install a valve that would divert the sink water straight to the ground (for when we're at home or whatever, then divert it into the extra large grey/black tank when at campgrounds.

It seems like the perfect solution for a shortie with no shower. On my Globe Trotter Project however, we'll definitely have separate tanks, due to the shower and extra sink in the rear.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Huh? What? You mean there's a choice?? I only got a combined tank in my '84. As it didn't come with a shower I'm sure that's why AS did mine this way. I vote for a combined tank without the diverter to the ground. KISS.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
So, that got me thinking about simplifying the plumbing as well. Instead of a grey tank AND a black tank, I think I'm going to combind them into one larger tank. I have a 27 gallon tank

jp
jp

Here is a picture of a gray and a black tank on a 1957 bubble, thinking about going this way. Black & Gray Tanks Discharge. View of left tire, leaf spring, grey tank to the left, black tank to the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0327.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	36877  
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:04 AM   #4
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Huh? What? You mean there's a choice?? I only got a combined tank in my '84. As it didn't come with a shower I'm sure that's why AS did mine this way. I vote for a combined tank without the diverter to the ground. KISS.
Did your coach have a shower? I can't remember seeing one at the rally a few weeks ago. loosing the diverter isn't a bad idea. I just don't see the benefit in putting 2 tanks in a unit with one sink and one throne. On a positive note, the black tank would always be hosed out! ha!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 05-05-2007, 07:06 AM   #5
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie
jp

Here is a picture of a gray and a black tank on a 1957 bubble, thinking about going this way. Black & Gray Tanks Discharge. View of left tire, leaf spring, grey tank to the left, black tank to the right.
Does your bubble have a shower? i can't remember if they crammed one in those little guys or not. what would the total capacity be of both tanks?

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 05-05-2007, 07:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Does your bubble have a shower? i can't remember if they crammed one in those little guys or not. what would the total capacity be of both tanks?

jp
jp

This is a friends 1957 bubble and yes there is a shower, here are some more pic's...........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0330.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	36878   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0331.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	36879  

Name:	IMG_0332.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	36880  
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:01 AM   #7
7xp
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Santa Maria , California
Porta-Potty?

Quote:
we don't plan on "soiling the throne" unless it's an absolute emergency,jp
Why not get rid of the toilet and use a Porta-Potty? This way, no black tank would be needed. "Mac"
7xp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
diverter

hi jp- your idea sounds like a good one to me. I did what you're talking about on my '72 re-model: I have no bathroom sink, just a toilet and shower pan. The shower drains directly out, but for the kitchen sink there is the option to let it also drain directly out or divert it into the black tank. I thought this might come in handy for wal-mart overnighting, or just to add water to the black tank to help in flushing it out. Anyway- good luck with your project, hope these ideas help and will enclose a pic of the diverter arrangement. -tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	115-1546_IMG.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	36885  
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:52 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
We rented a new 4 winds class C in Alaska two years ago. Much to my surprise, both sinks drained into the black water tank. I found out when I pulled the plug on the bathroom sink and it didn't drain properly. I stepped on the toilet flush and up it came. Fortunately, our site had sewer, so were able to dump immediately. Only the shower across the hall drained into the gray tank. From then on, we dumped every two days.

If I were looking at buying something like this, it would be a show stopper.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote