Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Nottingham , New Hampshire
Question Closet Flange question

I'm having Inca make a new black tank for my 72 Tradewind LY. The old tank had a threaded fitting for the closet fange. I'm trying to decide if I should ask Inca to put a threaded or smooth fitting in the new tank. I seem to remember that finding a replacement threaded closet flange was difficult when I looked last year and I'd just assume skip the aggravation this time.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks,

Jeff
jeffdales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdales
I'm having Inca make a new black tank for my 72 Tradewind LY. The old tank had a threaded fitting for the closet fange. I'm trying to decide if I should ask Inca to put a threaded or smooth fitting in the new tank. I seem to remember that finding a replacement threaded closet flange was difficult when I looked last year and I'd just assume skip the aggravation this time.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff.

We have that tank. It's made with fiberglass.

We supply the drain fitting, the threaded flange, and the vent pipe fitting.

There was a variation between Airstream plants, as to where the fittings were located.

Our tank is blank, and you simply glass in the fittings to match your old tank.

Plus, we all know that a fiberglass tank is superior to a plastic tank.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I would go back with the threaded fitting, it will tend to stay in the tank, rather than slip out when traveling. If that happens, it could be a smelly mess.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Jeff.

There was a variation between Airstream plants, as to where the fittings were located.

Andy
Andy do you have the same for a 69? If so could you pm a cost?
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Glad to see your progressing, I had mine fitted with a threaded fitting. I figure there will probably be some moving around of plumbing or vents no matter how well I measure and align the installation. I went with the threaded fitting only because that is what was there when I started. Can you re-use the original flange or is it not in adequate condition?
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:02 AM   #6
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
They are pretty easy to find at camping world. They have both male and female threading flanges. Fairly inexpensive.

Get a new rubber seal while your at it. A new toilet will come with the seal if you're getting one.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:27 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Nottingham , New Hampshire
I decided to go with threaded top and bottom. I'm afraid the old flange is toast, but I do have one from Camping World that I bought when we swapped the toilet for a Sealand model last year. A the time the threads weren't long enough to reach the tank, but with things disassembled I don't think it'll be a problem. I think I'm also going to pass on the old Thetford plumbing on the bottom and switch to Valterra.

We've been looking forward to this bathroom remodel for some time, it'll be nice to start putting stuff back in. Right now, I've got the whole bathroom removed and we're busy replacing the floor. We're going to leave out the left-hand closet and extend the bathroom across the whole width with a new 41" shower pan. Should be nice and roomy.

Camel, thanks so much for your help on the tank.

Jeff
jeffdales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1965 28' Ambassador
Minnetonka , Minnesota
Elaborate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Jeff.

Andy
Andy,

Hey, I got one of those tanks from you....thanks, it's beautiful. My camper had the toilet and black tank completely removed so I have no template (or left over piece/parts) to work from. Also, someone completely butchered the seat portion of the shower/sink/toilet plastic form so I'm free to be creative with position, configuration etc for the toilet installation.

So with this new tank, I only got a vent fitting and a threaded flange....no drain fitting (as you state). Please elaborate on "glassing in" fittings. Do you have instructions and a parts list for all needed between toilet and tank...and how to connect them? (I have a new Thetford Aq mgc V toilet...instrctns not much help). I also bought a drain valve from Cmpr Wrld.....the holes don't line up with the screw holes in the tank.....is there something I should know? Or are they even screw holes? How many things are there between the tank and the valve and between the valve and the drain pipe and how is it all attached. The drain pipe is still suspended in place by the grey water pipe coming in from the side. To add to the confusion, the screw/bolt holes from the drain pipe flange don't align with the drain valve either...it only has 3 holes. What's that all about?

Anyway, what do I do now?
woliners is offline   Reply With Quote