Old 07-25-2007, 03:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
There is quite a lot of fluctuation in state laws on this. In AZ and NM, for example, it is legal to let gray water onto the ground, subject to several provisions:

1. It may be outlawed by local provision.
2. It may not be used for commercial enterprises (e.g., to water lawns at a company).
3. It may not be sprayed.
4. It may not come from kitchen sinks. (Showers and bathroom sinks are ok.)

Lynn
Thanks, Lynn, for posting this. I always wondered what the law was here in AZ. Where did you find this information?

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #16
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
When NM was working on its law a couple of years ago, several articles appeared about it. They based their law entirely on the research that stood behind the AZ law -- and wound up with almost the identical law.

Lynn

Old 07-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Showers

A lot of good comments. The one about the outdoor shower was the one that will affect a lot of us. I am using some judgement based on Wisconsin Administrative Codes and what we would simply refer to as professional judgement about the intent of the Admin Codes.

If I were cornered to make a decision about the outdoor shower I would say if it is a common rinse down such as what may be done with a garden hose after swimming then I would ignore the problem so long as no harm or inconvienience were being done. If it is a cleaning shower (soap and a real shower) then it is grey water and other circumstances would need to be evaluated. Where is the camp--in the boonies or in a campground, is there a surface water that it is running into, a lot of things. Knocking the dust off--well no point in getting too nit picky. Cleaning Fido, even with a bit of soap--once again-professional judgement.

Some of the other commnets--I pick up after my dogs as well.

To find out what the law is in your state try one of these sources.

1 Local Zoning Administrator--county level. Many state have plumbing & sanitation enforced via zoning administrators.

2 A bureau within a department (in Wisconsin the Dept of Commerce, bureau of building & safety (sub--Plumbing)

3 State EPA/DNR of State Board of Health.

If you do get a citation, argue it in court not with a regulator. It can get out of hand real quick. The case I observed the other day, either the ZA (Zoning Administrator) or me could have issued citations under more than one code. It is not double jeopardy. One citations (ZA) would be a plubming code violation..not sure I think about 3 bills + court costs = about 4.5 c notes. The DNR version would have been for discharging septage without a business license 5 bills, + failure to have an operators cert about 3 bills, dishcargin in an unauthorized area I believe is another 5 bills, failure to maintain septage logs another 3 failure to practice vector controls another 3 bills....can you see where it can go. Those are all separate items. I doubt a judge will max you on all of them, but if there are that many written he or she will sort of wonder what else is going on. Warnings are much better and don't ruin vacations. Notice I did not say anything about creating a health hazard, the ZA could also do that, but then we would need a deputy or a warden to take them into custody for booking.

I probaly speak for every state when I say we want you to enjoy your vacation. Just follow that advice about leaving a few footprints and not much else. Then the next person can enjoy hwat you had and you may someday meet that person and be able to reminice over beers! (Maybe the will even buy the next round)

One last thought...contact the state department of Tourism, they can be a treasure trove of information and what they don't know a good state agent will find out, that includes waste laws as well as places to go.

Now I have to consider if I want to go back and look at the 65 or 66 single axle AS the guy wanted to get rid of!
Old 07-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Pools

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV
What happens to all of the pool (cement bathtub) water? Some even contains Vitamin "P".
Pool water (in my state) may be discharged to the ground (we still recomend dechlorination), it is subject to a state permit (which most pools do not have). Surface water discharge is a bit more rigorous. The Phosphorus content is not significant. The content of vitamins is not something I have come across in professional literature. Some estrogens have been found in treated sewage discharges. There is a lot of ongoing work and discussions in the EPA and some state agencies about it. Most pools use a ground discharge.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Given the disposal of gray water would in most states require dumping into a treatment system, tank, or sewer, is there any advantage with a separate gray water tank or just a single tank system suffice? Obviously, larger quantity of waist water...but if dumping would need to be in a system...am I over analyzing
Old 07-25-2007, 08:10 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Tucson , Arizona
This is why I need to get my Thermasan system up and running again.

T
Old 07-26-2007, 09:20 AM   #21
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpray
Given the disposal of gray water would in most states require dumping into a treatment system, tank, or sewer, is there any advantage with a separate gray water tank or just a single tank system suffice? Obviously, larger quantity of waist water...but if dumping would need to be in a system...am I over analyzing
absolutely, there is an advantage to having seperate tanks. you can empty your grey tank into a blue-boy and shuttle it from your camper's parking spot over to an appropriate dumping facility. Since its just soapy water, it is not an unpleasant task. however, if your single black/grey combined tank was full...you'd have to pull up camp, hookup the whole trailer, and shuttle the whole kit-n-kabootle over to the dump station, which is a major pita. you "could" use the blue boy for this, too...if you absolutely had to...but that is a very unpleasant task.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Plus for Greywater tank

I endorse Chuck's comment. There are advantages to a separte grey water tank. I wish my old Tradewind had one, but that is life. Using the greywater to flush the black water is a definate advantage.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
I am sitting here wondering how the heck we got this far before 'chamber pots' and, the invention of the craper?
HEY, that's my tree~!!
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I was camping in Quebec this past weekend, and was stunned to see the tent trailer in the campsite next to us dumping their grey water on a continual basis. By that I mean the outlet was completely open all the time.

I'm continually amazed by the ignorance of certain individuals. I was very new to the RV world until last year, but I thought it was common knowledge that you don't dump your grey water on the ground, especially at a campground.

Guess not. Perhaps it's a more common occurrence that I had thought?
Old 07-30-2007, 03:40 PM   #25
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
A lot of tent trailers don't have any tanks at all; they've just got a hose leading from the sink right out the side and onto the ground.
Lynn
Old 07-30-2007, 03:47 PM   #26
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Since its just soapy water, it is not an unpleasant task.
Speak for yourself. Twenty-five gallons of soapy water is heavy to drag through loose, sandy soil. It also smells no matter if it is "just soapy water"; it still contains food bits, cooking grease residue, and body oils. After fermenting in the summer heat over night or all day or both, it can be pretty gross. Take my word. I empty my gray water tank daily with my blue tank and it is the worst part of camping without sewer hook-ups.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:10 AM   #27
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Speak for yourself. Twenty-five gallons of soapy water is heavy to drag through loose, sandy soil.
I hook it up to my truck, and it doesn't seem to mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
It also smells no matter if it is "just soapy water"; it still contains food bits, cooking grease residue, and body oils. After fermenting in the summer heat over night or all day or both, it can be pretty gross. Take my word. I empty my gray water tank daily with my blue tank and it is the worst part of camping without sewer hook-ups.
well, if thats the case, there is something very, very wrong going on inside your tank. A load of wash-water that is <=24hrs old should not be offensive.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:53 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
I just recently discovered something about our '76 after 11 years , the kitchen sink drains into the black tank along with the WC. Only the shower and bath sink drain to the grey tank . Makes sense when you think about it. How are other years/models set up ?