Old 02-01-2016, 11:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Can the waste tank be partially used in a composting system

We enjoy boondocking with friends in AZ (Quartzsite, Yuma, Lake Havasu City, etc). I find that once a week I'm looking for a dump station for our black tank, and the cost of a dump is now around $20.

I'm toying with the idea of installing either a Nature's Head or Air Head composting toilet in my 32-ft Excella. From what I read, both have a urine capture tank of 2 gallons. That 2 gallons would barely suffice for a week, while I could get close to 2 months with the compost of the solids. Is it possible to have the urine drain directly into the existing 30-gallon waste tank, which would otherwise go unused?

Has anyone done this?

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #2
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I just installed one: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...ll-146271.html

You could plumb it to your old black tank, but I thought about what that would involve. Let me give you an idea. You'll need to cut a hole in your bathroom floor to access the top of the black tank. Cut a hole in the black tank, and then plumb the toilet's urine diverter to the black tank. And seal both. And then put your floor back around your new pipe. That's some work.

The Nature's Head came with two 2.1 gallon jugs. And you can just pour it outside. No different than peeing outside. Or pour it into your gray tank. Or take it to a pit toilet or something and pour it in there.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Or pour it into your gray tank.
That turns the gray tank into a black tank.

Just to explore other options…

You could obtain a GoPilot portable urinal, and plumb it to the otherwise-unused black tank in place of the portable tank the urinal comes with, so that when you only need #1, it still goes straight to the black tank instead of into the composting toilet. Then you just need a wall bracket to hang the end on, and you're set.

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotS...tE8aAmzH8P8HAQ
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
BoldAdventure - Thanks for the info. My preference would be to somehow plumb the urine to go to the black tank, giving me a 30-gallon repository (good for 2 months of boondocking). I'll be following the experiences of those with composting heads, and, when I'm getting service done in JC in April I'll find out what they would need to do for the modification and the costs thereof.
more
Protagonist - I'll pass on your suggestion. That's adding more space-stealing gear which I would want to avoid; in addition I'm quite sure the XYL (ham-speak for wife) would not be happy with a urinal hung onto the wall.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Give the guy at NH an email you, he has a method to plumb the urine into the black tank.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
There really is no need to go to such length. While urine is not actually sterile, it is in no way a hazard to the environment. Just dump it behind a tree and be done with it. Use the combined tanks as one large grey tank.

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/gor...ither-rest-you
Old 02-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Give the guy at NH an email you, he has a method to plumb the urine into the black tank.
Thanks. That's what I prefer doing.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
1632 by Eric Flint

Blame this post on Overlander63.

He's the one who got me started reading this alternate reality series and I've got to tell you it's interesting, informative, silly and highly entertaining. The story starts when a town in West Virginia, year 2000 is transported to the year 1632 in Germany in the middle of the 30 Year War. The collaborative stories go in every which direction. Sourcing food - and doing without things that are taken for granted in the year 2000 - are thought provoking. Coffee... what do you mean there's no coffee? It has to be imported from Turkey? (A weed called chicory that grows wild in W. Va. will help stretch the supply.)

And the one that fits in with this thread is - BISCUITS - how the heck do we make biscuits when baking soda hasn't been invented? One of the starter ingredients for baking soda turns out to be UREA... and an enterprising downtimer chemist gets a "cheat sheet" showing how make baking soda, and how to make urea from urine.... So collection tanks are installed in bars, hotels and stables.

So, lets all go to Hardee's and enjoy some biscuits and gravy tomorrow.

Our infrastructure makes it very easy to not know stuff like that, doesn't it?

Paula
Old 02-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Racine , Wisconsin
Old pee smells worse than old poop. Ever been to a bathroom where someone peed the day(or week before) and didn't flush! We don't store ours and would highly recommend not! Second season with our Natures Head.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
So could you add some sort of deoderant? For our waste tank we add 8 oz of home-brew. Home brew is made of 48 oz Pinesol plus 48 oz water plus 1 cup of Calgon bath beads.