Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 05:40 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
West Halifax , Vermont
Question Can I/Should I Remove Screen on Water Inflow to Wastewater Tanks?

I'm a newbie with a 2015 Sport 22 with a question about the inflow port for flushing out the wastewater tanks. So far, I've only camped at VT state campgrounds, where the water hose at the dump station has a nozzle rather than garden hose type connector. Trying to shoot water into the flush line just gives me a free shower as it all shoots back out! It seems like the little screen that is part of the plastic connector at this port is the problem and I wonder if it's necessary. I don't see any way to remove it and sure don't want to do any damage to this beauty (the AS, not me!) trying. Any advice? Thanks!
Kellycanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:53 AM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Just fill your tanks with water before heading to the dump staton and don't worry about using the flusher. I always add a liberal squirt of dish soap to my grey tank as it's filling.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
That fitting is meant for a hose to be connected. The connector is connected to PEX which makes a 90 dee turn up to a back flow valve connected to PEX which goes back down to the black tank. Make sure you blow out the line with compressed air when you winterized. That plastic back flow valve will break if the small amount of water in it freezes.

Kelvin
Old 07-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
West Halifax , Vermont
Thanks, KJ, I am anticipating my first winterization with some trepidation and don't think the "training" on this topic when I picked up my AS will suffice. They didn't even mention using compressed air, which I see often on the forums.

I expect to continue using VT state campgrounds (not always, but often), so I'm still wondering about that screen and whether it can be removed without adverse consequences.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Cut off the end of an old garden hose at the end that will connect to your flush. Leave about 6" of hose. Screw that into the flush and force the campground nozzle into the end of the hose. You will get a good enough seal to make the flush operate without too much leakage.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Cut off the end of an old garden hose at the end that will connect to your flush. Leave about 6" of hose. Screw that into the flush and force the campground nozzle into the end of the hose. You will get a good enough seal to make the flush operate without too much leakage.
Google the term "Water thief" for a small device to connect your hose to a spigot which is not threaded. I carry two; one for fresh water and one for non-potable water (different colors).

As far as the filter screen, I would retain it. The sprayer nozzles inside the black tank can get clogged and I don't know of any way to reverse flush them to get them unclogged

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Clean Blackwater Tank

Make two foot long attachment for a garden hose and put it down the toilet. It does a good job. I can't figure out how to attach a picture. It's made out of cpvc plastic pipe with a 90° buisness end heated and flattened to make a spray pattern. The other end has a hose attachment and a shutoff valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	658.4 KB
ID:	243336  
dalemonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:36 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
I agree with using a Camco Water Bandit (Thief) to hook up to the water at the dump station water outlet that has no thread. Works great. Camco also makes a wand like Dalemonroe has, but the end spins and jets the water. Since we moved into a newer AS I use the flushing devise that's located above the city water inlet. It does a great job when you follow directions. Another helpful hint. Buy a clear hose attachment that fits on to your AS drain pipe. It sounds gross, but you can see what's coming out of your black and gray tanks. I keep the flusher going until I see the black tank is clear. If I have not been to a dump station in a couple of days, I have my wife fill the toilet 2 or 3 times to drop extra water into the black tank. You would be surprised to see the "extra" stuff that will float out. We communicate with walkie-talkies until all is clean... then we turn off the flusher and pull the gray tank lever. (Both the gray and black tanks should be quite full when you dump. It really pushes the material out.)
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Just dump a couple gallons of water down the toilet to flush it out. Don't need to flush each time or ever if you use enough waster during use.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:28 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
West Halifax , Vermont
Thanks, everyone, for the great advice!!!