Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
BW tank in 59TW

I have removed the original BW tank from my trailer and have finally gotten the #%&^#@! original dump valve off. I plan to replace it, but have found that the tank doesn't empty completely due to the drain hole not being the lowest point in the tank. Not much remains, but some. Should I replace the tank while it is out or live with things the way they are?

Pics are posted on my page.

Thanks,
Bob Garver
bgarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I would recommend you cut the top off the tank, use fiberglass to build up the slope toward the drain, and then glass the top back on.

On mine the top of the tank was so sloped that I could not get the toilet to sit flat. The toilet was at least 1" higher on one side. So I cut the top off so I could put it back on level.

Also, the fiberglas around the outlet flange was cracked and needed to be repaired. While I was at it I added a cleanout hole on the top, and added a vent to replace the original vent, which was vulkemed into the back of the toilet.

Good luck whatever you do. If you want to see pics look on my page.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote