Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Bugs in Black Water Tank

I have the AS at home and I can dump the black water into a 5 gallon bucket then close the valve and haul it to the nearby power room toilet in my house. I've used the black water flush to clean out the tank and as the water cleared I noticed what seems to be insect larvae in the water. Anyone notice this? Would using tank deodorant prevent the bugs?

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ick!

Have never noticed that, but I would sure do whatever is needed to get rid of them. And, not sit on that toilet til I was sure they were gone.

Sounds like your tank is not being emptied completely, perhaps?? Maybe find a dump with a long hose, put it down the toilet and give it a good cleaning.

You can also buy an attachment for a garden hose that creates pressure and do the same thing.

Maggie
Old 10-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Fly larvae?????? What Maggie said...they need poop to lay eggs. Flush it good. I have never seen that either. Something must not have gottten cleaned out last time

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I am very curious about how long the black tank was left without being emptied.

Keep in mind that insects can, and probably occasionally do, access both the black and gray tanks, through the roof vents. A good ripe black tank would probably lure a lot of flies. I wouldn't be concerned, unless bugs start flying out of the toilet when you flush it.

I would just empty it, flush it, and in the future don't look to see what comes out of it when you drain it.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I seen that sometimes, especially when going down south where it is warm and humid.
Flies and gnats can get down through the plumbing vents into the tanks.
Dumping every 4-5 days and taking time to rinse and flush really good after dumping the waste tanks solves this problem.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
No bugs found in the toilet bowl or the trailer. Usually when I'm at a campsite with water before I go to the dump station I fill the black tank almost full with the black water flush. They are small, 1/4" long x 1 1/16" wide. Maybe they are mosquito larvae. Maybe I'll put some chloride don't the tank before I go out next weekend.

Kelvin
Old 10-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

This is what water mosquito larvae look like if you scuba dive in your holding tank.

Controlling Mosquitoes at the Larval Stage | Mosquito Control | US EPA

I'm guessing yours were some sort of fly larvae(maggot).

Ken
Old 10-26-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
How can mosquito/ fly larvae survive the chemicals we add?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrosti View Post
How can mosquito/ fly larvae survive the chemicals we add?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
I'm sure it depends which of the many various products are used. Some are simply deodorants. Some are biologic enzymes that break down the waste. Some people probably don't use any.

Maybe they use floating objects as rafts.

Ken
Old 10-27-2014, 05:09 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Living in an area where mosquitoes grow the size of Cessnas, this is a subject near and dear to my heart… The accepted method of killing mosquito larvae (and by extension any insect larvae) in standing water is:
1 - Add mineral oil to the water. Mineral oil floats, and forms a barrier that prevents the water from being oxygenated.
2 - Squirt in dish soap. This poisons the water and kills the little buggers that survived the mineral oil. If you wash dishes in a washbasin and dump the basin in the toilet, that works too, in addition to stretching your gray tank capacity.

Sidebar— The fact that dish soap kills insect larvae is one reason why you only see the larvae in the black tank, not the gray tank.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's good info, Protag.

There are at least a few pans of dishwater in every tank we dump, always. May have been accidentally preventing insects all along.

This also makes a good case for dumping frequently.....not usually a problem when you have small tanks like ours.

If I were to find insect larvae moving around in my toilet, I would be one freaked out woman.

Maggie
Old 10-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
Protag - That is a wonderful idea about the dishwater. I had no idea the dish soap would kill those insects in the black water tank. (though we have always used plain Dawn on the many rescue dogs and puppies we fostered to kill fleas) Now that we are finally getting on the road, this is a great tip!
WBCCI #4447
AIR #70157
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I don't find the bugs in my grey water so the dishwater must do the trick. They are not mosquito larvae looking at a previous post link so must be something else. They almost look like seeds but there seems to be a small head at one end. Several flushes of the tank in preparation for monitor recalibration and I still saw some in the bucket. I'll add some dish soap to the tank before heading out this weekend.

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 10-27-2014, 11:01 AM   #14
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I'm sure a bit of chlorox in the black tank would effectively terminate any residuals that may have survived your prior efforts. It would also end any biologic action going on and then that would need to be regenerated on it's own time. I guess that I have unknowingly prevented such growth by the occasional dishwater deposited in my effort to save some grey tank space. Amazing some of the good things that happen out of ignorance.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I'm sure a bit of chlorox in the black tank would effectively terminate any residuals that may have survived your prior efforts. It would also end any biologic action going on and then that would need to be regenerated on it's own time.
Actually, while dish soap kills aerobic (oxygen-breathing) mosquito larvae, it doesn't actually kill the anaerobic (non-oxygen-breathing) baceria that breaks down solid waste. Otherwise a residential septic tank would never work. You can add enzymes at the same time you add dish soap, and both will still work.

On the other hand, chlorine kills all organics, including the beneficial anaerobic bacteria. Don't add chlorine to your black tank.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
If you really want to kill the little devils go to Home Depot or Lowes and purchase some pool shock. Mix up a little in a gallon of water and pour down through the toilet (be careful as it turns into ~90% chlorine and will bleach/eat almost anything ) followed by filling the tank; let steep about an hour and dump tank; fill and dump tank twice to remove the shock and ALL living things will cease .
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Pool shock treatment might be a bit too harsh. I'm sure it wouldn't cause immediate failure of the tank, but over time it could accelerate normal wear making it brittle and subject to leaks. A quarter cup of bleach may be just as effective and you're bound to have some already.

Part of what dish detergent does is lower the surface tension of the water. If you ever watch mosquitos, the mature ones will literally walk on water. If you have a sadistic streak (and I do hate mosquitos) just add a squirt of detergent to any stagnant water and the skeeters will start sinking like rocks. The larvae may simply lose the the integrity of their outside membrane once dish detergent enters the picture.

Carrying buckets of effluvient. This is a job for the Sewer Solution. If your plumbing is less than 60 years old, you are sure to have an "outside cleanout" somewhere on your property. Even if it is slightly UPHILL from your Airstream, the Sewer Solution, with assistance from water supplied via garden hose, can drain your tanks. It's certainly neater than the bucket route, and no tripping and spilling "IT" all over your bathroom!
Look at their website to see how it works.

Paula
Old 10-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Pool shock treatment might be a bit too harsh. I'm sure it wouldn't cause immediate failure of the tank, but over time it could accelerate normal wear making it brittle and subject to leaks. A quarter cup of bleach may be just as effective and you're bound to have some already.

Paula
I agree it's harsh, but after two flushings (complete tank fill) it is essentially all removed. I use it since I have a pool and it's readily available; additionally I do have a sewer clean-out which I use 2" PVC to gravity flow to; it's located literally within two feet of my pool steps, go figure .
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote