Old 10-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I'm sure a bit of chlorox in the black tank would effectively terminate any residuals that may have survived your prior efforts. It would also end any biologic action going on and then that would need to be regenerated on it's own time.
Actually, while dish soap kills aerobic (oxygen-breathing) mosquito larvae, it doesn't actually kill the anaerobic (non-oxygen-breathing) baceria that breaks down solid waste. Otherwise a residential septic tank would never work. You can add enzymes at the same time you add dish soap, and both will still work.

On the other hand, chlorine kills all organics, including the beneficial anaerobic bacteria. Don't add chlorine to your black tank.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
If you really want to kill the little devils go to Home Depot or Lowes and purchase some pool shock. Mix up a little in a gallon of water and pour down through the toilet (be careful as it turns into ~90% chlorine and will bleach/eat almost anything ) followed by filling the tank; let steep about an hour and dump tank; fill and dump tank twice to remove the shock and ALL living things will cease .

Old 10-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Pool shock treatment might be a bit too harsh. I'm sure it wouldn't cause immediate failure of the tank, but over time it could accelerate normal wear making it brittle and subject to leaks. A quarter cup of bleach may be just as effective and you're bound to have some already.

Part of what dish detergent does is lower the surface tension of the water. If you ever watch mosquitos, the mature ones will literally walk on water. If you have a sadistic streak (and I do hate mosquitos) just add a squirt of detergent to any stagnant water and the skeeters will start sinking like rocks. The larvae may simply lose the the integrity of their outside membrane once dish detergent enters the picture.

Carrying buckets of effluvient. This is a job for the Sewer Solution. If your plumbing is less than 60 years old, you are sure to have an "outside cleanout" somewhere on your property. Even if it is slightly UPHILL from your Airstream, the Sewer Solution, with assistance from water supplied via garden hose, can drain your tanks. It's certainly neater than the bucket route, and no tripping and spilling "IT" all over your bathroom!
Look at their website to see how it works.

Paula
Old 10-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Pool shock treatment might be a bit too harsh. I'm sure it wouldn't cause immediate failure of the tank, but over time it could accelerate normal wear making it brittle and subject to leaks. A quarter cup of bleach may be just as effective and you're bound to have some already.

Paula
I agree it's harsh, but after two flushings (complete tank fill) it is essentially all removed. I use it since I have a pool and it's readily available; additionally I do have a sewer clean-out which I use 2" PVC to gravity flow to; it's located literally within two feet of my pool steps, go figure .