Old 03-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Savannah , Georgia
Blackwater valve replacement..

A question to my beloved airstream living Librium Folk, I own a 68 Sover with a Black water valve that will no longer close al the way.. the lever is just in front of the blackwater tank. It is both hard to reach and repair. I had thought of pulling it open and leaving it that way and attaching a new black water valve at the end of the blackwater pipe in the storage area where you store the hose.. that way it is easy to replace when need and I can easily reach it to open it.. Though about turning it sideways so it open within the storage area.. I will try to attach pics to this thread if not I will attach them to my profiles picks.. your wealth of knowledge I await and thank you in advance..

David

I am asking these questions as I have a hard time finding help fixing my beloved child so I must look to myself for her loving repair.. lol
Attached Images

WBCCI #1807
TAC GA-21
A person who is nice to you but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person...
tvadman1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Will this work for you?

3 in Twist on Waste Valve 89-8304 [T58] - $21.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

Chris

Old 03-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Savannah , Georgia
That will work!
WBCCI #1807
TAC GA-21
Old 03-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I thought about this kind of thing, but decided against it: Because the hose needs to curve downwards pretty quickly, you wind up with not a whole lot of space behind the orfice of the valve.

If it does work, though, I'd strongly recommend one of the curved or even 90-degree connectors for your hose.

If it doesn't, well, it's not that terrible to have to remove the black tank. That'll allow you also to go through the brackets that hold it in position, check for leaks, rust, and so forth.

Lynn
Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I bought one of the twist on waste valves from Camping world. It does not work well at all on an Airstream. Main problem is that there is no good way to mount it so that you can get both the black water and grey water tank valves open. In addition the waste valve is pretty heavy and you have to tie it up somehow to keep it from roating and coming off or dragging while on the road.
I went ahead and repaired the dump valve on mine. Was not as bad as I thought it would be. I went to Harbor freight and bought a nibbler to cut the hole. After I got the hole cut it was pretty straight foward to take apart the dump valve and replace the seals.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Savannah , Georgia
An update..

Just thought I would update you on my adventures in black-water fun... I bought the pieces to put on the black water valve... For those of you who are not aware I am not the most dexterous person. I have two hand but the right hand the fingers don't work.. So sometimes have to hire hands to do the things that most people take for granted.. ( Doesn't Bother me it just the way it is.) Anyway I had my helper worker help me see why the valve was not closing and we found an old rusty bolt that fastened the old toilet to the bathroom in the airstream. Why any repair shop worth their salt would put bolts in the black-water tank I will never know... I lucked out with the black-water valve as it works fine.. Next repainting the tounge and my tanks.. She is my land ship and she must look ship shape... Thanks for your help everyone..
WBCCI #1807
TAC GA-21
Old 06-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Florence , Kentucky
Black valve replacement 68 tradewind 24'

Has anyone replaced one of these valves? Do you have to remove the belly skin? any hints from anyone?