Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Moschelle , Nova Scotia
Black Water Tank Valve Won't Seat

The title pretty much says it all. Any suggestions on how to remedy the problem? I completely flushed the tank until the water runs clear. The valve handle ends up about 1/2 inch from being able to clip it closed. Any advice would be helpful as we about to embark on a 2-week trip in a few days. It's a 2011 Flying Cloud. Thanks.

Tom
tdmaymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
We had this problem once with the toilet. There was a peace of toilet paper stuck in the rubber gaskets. Get a flash light and take a look. I used a metal hanger to hook it out.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Vancouver , Washington
If you can't see it/snag it, can you try to backflush it?
techiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Try hot water into the tank with the valve closed, fill it up and with the drain hose hooked-up, move the shut-off back and forth as it drains. Try some WD-40 or such on the rod. TP does not get used in our black water tank because of the above problems, we simply have a little sack that gets disposed of daily.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
It is hard to imagine toilet paper jamming a gate valve open. Toilet paper has very little strength when soaked. The "sliding gates" in these valves are quite sharp on the moving end. Kinda like an real thin axe blade. A popcorn kernel from the kitchen sink could jam a valve open if a guy is really unlucky. Or the grand daughter flushing a rubber ducky down the toliet. Cute!

If something is jammed in the drain valve, it probably feels like it won't close all the way. Does your valve appear stuck open when trying to push it shut. Debris in the valve would cause a significant leak. So when your tank is half full of water, valve shut, do you see a significant flow out your sewer drain connection? More flow than a slow drip.

The cause of my leaking valve was a cut seal. Mine was just a slow drip leak, but after 400 miles on the road, I got maybe a cup of water when I took the sewer connection cap off. I agree with trying to pressure spray the valve area through the drain manifold. If repeated spraying does not get it, I am afraid you will have to disassemble the valve and examine the seals. At least the parts are cheap!

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote