Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2017, 06:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake wales , Florida
Black Water Tank Valve Stuck Closed

I have a 1976 Argosy 26' trailer with the valve stuck closed. It is rusty so I tried Blaster to no avail. Also, tried heating it up with a torch. I pushed and pulled the shaft, tapped it with a hammer and nothing worked. It didn't budge at all. Plus, unfortunately, it has sewage in it. I tried the Dawn soap with ice trick. Nothing. I can't even see how to get to the pipe that the valve opens. I removed one screw where the shaft goes through but the other screw is stripped. I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any idea how to get the thing to open?
coolbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey,
Is your valve a thetford type? I had the sme problem with my 325 classic.
I basically had th take it apart. All those screws on the outside of the white plastic body have to be removed. My valve had a rusted away shaft. You could pull it, but nothing happened. I replaced the guts of the valve and a new shaft, made of stainless steel. Put it back together, works great. I used a little grease on the assembly. The one side of the plastic body of the valve is glued to the pipe coming out of the black tank. I left that in tack. The other side I replaced. If the screws don t come out grind off the heads. Then you will be able to work them back and forth once the face of the valve is off. I used stainless screws upon rebuild. They don t rust. And I used a little silicone sealer on them too. Hope this helps. Dj
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake wales , Florida
Yes it is. How did you get to it to remove screws? Drain pipes are in the way.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake wales , Florida
Ok. I got one of the screws on the right side facing it off but cant even see any more because there is a rusty steel panel in the way. I can now see 2 screws on the left side. Are they the ones I have to remove?
Old 11-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I would just put a kiddie pool under the trailer and take the valve off and replace it.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I would just put a kiddie pool under the trailer and take the valve off and replace it.

I know you gotta empty the full tank, and this is a good plan to catch the "stuff" - but then what? [emoji15]

There's gotta be a less risky way...

Not sure - but I'm thinking of some campsites and other dump areas I've been where there's a well engineered intake to the sewer that includes a catch - I assume for the unlikely event the hose comes or during dumping - that looks like it would take everything down to the sewer without much potential for spillage all over the place. Rinse down with the hose and all is good.

So long as you could get the valve close enough to the right position ....

This is quite a puzzle!!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #7
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I probably wouldn't do it in the health department parking lot lot....lol....and I would guess a campground would frown on an intentional spill being done at their concrete funnel....I have plenty of bushes and trees that need fertilizing, though....of course, a guy could always pay a septic truck to stop by and suck out the kiddie pool.

I replaced both of my valves after their adapters broke. Sewage had been leaking into the belly pan for a few weeks. It wasn't all that traumatic of a job.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Of course - a honey wagon. That would work!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake wales , Florida
How did you take it apart?
Old 11-21-2017, 08:47 AM   #10
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I don't know the plumbing layout on a 1976 Argosy...On my trailer, the black and gray tanks face each other. I took the clamps off at each tank neck. I took the valve handles off. There was a rubber adapter between two pieces of the plumbing pipe. I took it out. That gave me wiggle room to take everything out. It only took a few minutes to remove it all.