Old 10-17-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Black water tank valve

My black water tank valve will not close all the way. I took the advice in another thread and bought a back valve flusher. I back valved flushed numerous times, like for over a good hour and it still will not close all the way. So I was wondering what I should do next. I was thinking of using a rubber mallet and tapping it easy to see if that works. But before I do that I am wondering what other steps I might take

Old 10-18-2016, 05:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Frustrated to say the least. I want back an backed flush the tank again many,many time. In fact for well over an hour. Still could not close it all the way. So I am now trying the partial fill with water along with a chemical and drove it around. So tomorrow I will back flush again to see if that works.

Until then I am going to sip rum but I am still looking for other ideas. Some have suggested using a rod or sticking one's hand down the bowl to free it. First I am not sure where the value is on the inside of the tank and I don't think my arm is long enough to reach what ever I am looking for. Any assistance is greatly appreciated in the meantime I am back with my rum.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Disclaimer - I really don't know what I'm talking about so take this with a salt lick.

Is it possible your valve isn't clogged but the handle has untwisted a bit so when you're trying to put the wing pins on to hold it in place they're not fitting?

Please - no flames if that's the stupidest thing you've ever heard. Like I said - I don't know what I'm talking about....
Old 10-18-2016, 07:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The seal could be damaged or there is something lodged in the grove where the blade slides into to make the seal.
I doubt you could access it thru the toilet.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Do u think I could pound it gently with a rubber mallet
Old 10-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #6
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
IMO, hammering it will damage it. Might as well try, though....Worst case is you will have to replace the valve. I replaced both of mine last summer. It wasn't difficult.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have looked for the values but not sure where they are located. Are they inside the black water tank .Where are the values located
Old 10-18-2016, 08:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The valve is not inside the BW tank. It is in the 3" pipe which is attached to the BW tank. Hard to tell how far downstream from the tank outlet the valve is located. Most are located relatively close to the tank outlet. It's too bad there are no access panels at the valve location.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:53 PM   #9
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My Airstream manual says the way a dealer does the repair is to cut an access hole in the belly pan. That is what I did. I made a cover for the opening out of a street sign from the local recycler.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I was thinking of using a rubber mallet.....
Whatever you do, don't force it!!

1) A foreign object made it's way into the tank and now it's blocking the valve.....OR,

2) One of the seals is pinched.

You need to do a visual inspection.

Google: flexible snake scope camera

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...e+scope+camera

Tom
Old 10-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
1985 25' Sovereign
LaGrange Highlands , Illinois
It is possible that the gasket is bad. I had the prob but after I took it apart I found that some woman had dripped her Tampax down in the tank. One end stayed in the tank and the other went through. The string rotted the rubber seal out. So I replaced the seal and A-OK
Old 10-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
I just had the same problem. The seals in both valves were "kinked", and wouldn't allow the valves to close. The only solution is to either rebuild the valves, (if they are Thetford)
or replace them with Valtara valves.
It's not major, but it can intimidating if you haven't done it before....
Good luck

Larry C

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Don't want to sidetrack the thread, but I have allways been curious - is there much clearance between the belly pan and the plastic tank?

I have wondered what the best tool to cut an access hole would be:

- tin snips?
- nibbler?
- cut off wheel on a die grinder?

I suppose it would be safest to very carefull drill a hole first with a drill stop and then to probe in order to find out how much clearance there is to avoid damage to the tank.

Don't have any problem at present but maybe one day I will need the get to the valves!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Sherwood , Oregon
If the jam nut is not tight the valve rod could have rotated longer just from use as SteveSueMac mentioned. Is the valve leaking or is it just not closing all the way? Mine would not lock with the wing springs and the jam nut was tight so I knew the valve was not seating but it was not leaking. I ignored it until this last trip when I dumped with a near full tank and used the tank wash connection to flush it numerous times. It cleared whatever was jammed in the seat (probably toilet paper that finally dissolved).