Old 04-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Send a message via Yahoo to Larry71
Black Water Tank Replacement Problem

I have had a small leak in my 1971 Safari black water tank for some time. I finally took it out. The tank is made of polypropylene and the only way to make the repair was to have it "plastic welded" All the other patching compounds would not adhere to the old tank.

I am in the process of reinstalling the repaired black water tank. I have it hooked up to the dump valve and filled with water. I have a small drip from the tank and can't figure how to stop it. I have had the tank out three times and each time I make sure the seal is properly aligned and all the screws tight as they can be. I even coated the seal with o-ring grease to help with the sealing. After I used the o-ring grease the leak is at it's slowest, about a drop every five seconds.

Does anyone know why this tank continues to leak? If I just leave it be will it eventually seal itself once it gets solids in the tank? Any advice would be appreciated.

Larry

Old 04-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry71
I have had a small leak in my 1971 Safari black water tank for some time. I finally took it out. The tank is made of polypropylene and the only way to make the repair was to have it "plastic welded" All the other patching compounds would not adhere to the old tank.

I am in the process of reinstalling the repaired black water tank. I have it hooked up to the dump valve and filled with water. I have a small drip from the tank and can't figure how to stop it. I have had the tank out three times and each time I make sure the seal is properly aligned and all the screws tight as they can be. I even coated the seal with o-ring grease to help with the sealing. After I used the o-ring grease the leak is at it's slowest, about a drop every five seconds.

Does anyone know why this tank continues to leak? If I just leave it be will it eventually seal itself once it gets solids in the tank? Any advice would be appreciated.

Larry

Only 3 times? By the time your done, it may be 23 times.

We have fiberglass replacements.

Andy

Old 04-18-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
leaks can be hard to chase down...try some food coloring in the water...most leaks happen at one of the flanges...

welding plastic is usually a hit or miss proposition (unless you do it all day for a living), but even if it fails later you can then buy a new tank knowing you gave d.i.y. your best shot:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/511474-post37.html

view the entire thread for other ideas/approaches
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:57 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Allentown , New Jersey
Send a message via Yahoo to Larry71
The leak is actually coming from the connection between the flange device on the bottom of the tank and the dump valve. There is a large O-ring between these two connections that should keep the water in the black tank. The leak is not coming from the tank itself, just from the connection to the tank. If the connections are tight is should not leak but it still does.

Andy, if I keep removing and reinstalling the tank will I eventually get it to be leak free? Does it have something to do with proper allignment of the tank over the dump valve?

Larry
Old 04-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We had a small leak in a black tank in one of our trailers, and finally in frustration I put a few gallons of water in the tank, and added a couple bottles of--

are you ready for this "fix"?

You won't believe it...

Radiator stop-leak.

The tank didn't drip again. I pulled the trailer around for about a half hour, to slosh everything around, let it sit overnight, and drained the tank.

If it doesn't work, you're only out a few bucks for the sealer, and you can get a new tank from Inland Andy.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:14 PM   #6
JLester

1962 19' Globetrotter
Canyon Creek , Montana
Send a message via Yahoo to jlester
My 1962 globetrotter frame off restoration is about ready for the black water tank. Is there a replacement available? I do not really want to re-install such an old tank, I would hate to try and get it ready to be re-installed if I can purchase a new one. The round holes have been buggered up quite a bit.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlester
My 1962 globetrotter frame off restoration is about ready for the black water tank. Is there a replacement available? I do not really want to re-install such an old tank, I would hate to try and get it ready to be re-installed if I can purchase a new one. The round holes have been buggered up quite a bit.
We have that tank in stock.

Andy
Old 04-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Andy....what is the difference between half bath and full bath when looking at the tanks on your web site?

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlester
check out this site for ABS tanks. this is what i am using for my '56 flying cloud.

Holding Tanks - Icon Technologies Limited

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman
Andy....what is the difference between half bath and full bath when looking at the tanks on your web site?

Thanks!
Depending on the year and length, there are full baths, center baths and 3/4 baths.

Usally, but not always, the full baths have the largest tanks, followed by the center bath, and the 3/4 baths have the smallest tanks.

Our web site does not show al the tanks that we have.

All we need is the trailer serial number, to identify the correct tank or tanks.

Andy