Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2018, 05:12 PM   #21
tracker

1969 23' Safari
crescent city , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
Thanks again Venturewest. I am still in the information stage of this project but I know if it's going to get done I will have to be the one to do it. And I need to start before the rains start. I was wondering if you had to remove the belly skin order to make your repairs or to remove the black water tank. Or if you might have any other hints. Thanks.

Sorry I just realizes that the photos you posted answered my question about removing the belly skin.
Did you find the galv. box to be screwed to the angle iron frame? Thank again.
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:05 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
Sorry I just realizes that the photos you posted answered my question about removing the belly skin.
Did you find the galv. box to be screwed to the angle iron frame? Thank again.
I didn't ever remove the galvanized box so I didn't pay attention to how it was mounted. I was able to repair mine in place. I doubt it is screwed though. It may just sit on the front and rear angle iron.
Venturewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 06:14 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Hudsonville , Michigan
1968 Tradewind rear end rusted support

I have been reading through this thread. I have a 1968 Tradewind with the rusted support that holds the black water tank - looks similar to the pictures that Venturewest posted of his trailer rear end issues. I see that Venturewest had access to the blackwater tank through the bathroom floor. Unfortunately for this project our bathroom is intact and I am hoping not having to remove the flooring. Is it possible to remove the toilet, drop the belly pan and drop the box that contains the blackwater tank from underneath? We feel the galvanized box will have to be rebuilt, will be checking if our blackwater tank is still in good condition, along with our connections. The original thread on this post was from 2018 - please let me know how everything has worked for you over the last few years and any changes. Thank you for any and all help.
Redteddy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 06:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
To answer your questions in a word: yes, it is possible to drop the black tank with the bath and floor kinda in place. Gotta remove the toilet of course. Here are some photos of my 66 Trade Wind which may or may not be similar to your trailer. It isn't just the easiest of jobs. The bath design was improved in 67.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1311 Belly Removed Rear 1-800x600.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	402069   Click image for larger version

Name:	1311 Tank Rear.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	402070  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1311 Toilet Removed-800x600.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	402071   Click image for larger version

Name:	1311 Tank Black Removed (Small).JPG
Views:	26
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	402072  

WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:48 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
Blackwater tank support repair from below?

Redteddy, Although I agree with David, a guy who was mighty helpful during revitalizing of our '67 Safari, we removed our BW tank and replaced its support from above. See our project at https://www.airforums.com/forums/f192/jim-janes-67-safari-86747-2.html
The galvanized pan that held the tank was quite rusted and it and the steel angles supporting it were failing. I had a stainless steel pan fabricated, salvaged the styrofoam liner that fit the tank profile and set the tank back in place. Note that the styrofoam had been mouse chewed.
My BW tank was sound but it had a leaking dump valve. Toilet flange was a real challenge to unscrew, a necessary step since it has to attach to subfloor since it puts toilet weight on the floor, not the tank. I finally filled the tank with hot water to do the trick.
Welcome to Air Forums!
Old 08-18-2021, 08:42 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
West Fork , Arkansas
a second thought

Consider, assuming the BW tank is OK, not disturbing it or the toilet and remove that part of the belly pan to gain access to the steel angle supports and frame. Remove the pan only if necessary. it could probably be dropped, still with the BW tank remaining in place. If this works for your situation, it should simplify repair.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:22 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Hudsonville , Michigan
1968 Tradewind rear end rusted support

That is what we are hoping to do - just dropping the pan from below so we do not have to remove bathroom flooring and subfloor. We renovated our trailer about 17 years ago and really do not want to take the bathroom apart at this time, as it is in good condition. The metal supports holding the galvanized box and the box itself that hold the black water tank are very rusty at this point and in deseparte need of replacing and repairs. We plan on also taking a very close look at our blackwater holding tank at that time to make sure it is sound. Like others talk about we believe our valve on the tank may need to be replaced also. Definitely open to all ideas before we tackle this repair.
Redteddy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I've replaced many dump valves with the Valterra valve, which I think is a better design and is lower cost. Replacing it is going to be the easiest part of your project.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags