Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Birmingham , Alabama
Question Black Water Tank Cover

We are new to the Airstream World. We have never been around the camping life what-so-ever so we are lost. I read the Airstream Forums and learn what I can. My husband and I have a little bit of general knowledge, so I think we can be taught.

I will be retiring from teaching on Dec 1,2011. My parents bought us a 1985 Excella. It is 31 ft. and has a middle bath. They waited too long and worked too hard and did not get to enjoy their retirement before dads health declined. I am so lucky to have parents that love me and want me to enjoy the "Wild Blue Yonder" while I am still young and healthy!

Our project this week is to remove the black water tank cover to expose the holding tanks. Something has a small leak and that needs to be fixed. It looks like there are bolts holding it on with some type of caulking around the top. Before we begin... Is there any suggestions?

We are excited to begin this new chapter in our lives. Thanks for any suggestions. I look forward to bonding with fellow Airstreamers!
Tartimisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartimisi View Post
We are new to the Airstream World. We have never been around the camping life what-so-ever so we are lost. I read the Airstream Forums and learn what I can. My husband and I have a little bit of general knowledge, so I think we can be taught.

I will be retiring from teaching on Dec 1,2011. My parents bought us a 1985 Excella. It is 31 ft. and has a middle bath. They waited too long and worked too hard and did not get to enjoy their retirement before dads health declined. I am so lucky to have parents that love me and want me to enjoy the "Wild Blue Yonder" while I am still young and healthy!

Our project this week is to remove the black water tank cover to expose the holding tanks. Something has a small leak and that needs to be fixed. It looks like there are bolts holding it on with some type of caulking around the top. Before we begin... Is there any suggestions?

We are excited to begin this new chapter in our lives. Thanks for any suggestions. I look forward to bonding with fellow Airstreamers!
I am not familiar with your trailer, so I can't directly help. However since this thread is about to drop off the portal, I thought I would make one comment. I have seen posts that state that the holding tanks in at least some trailers are partially supported by the tank cover. So make sure you have heard from someone who actually knows, before you get started.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote