Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2007, 12:32 AM   #1
The Aluminum Falcon

1973 31' Sovereign
Thousand Oaks , California
Black water shut off valve? '73 Sovereign

I have located a guillotine type valve just above what seems to be the "grey water" lines and it's frozen solid any advice on getting this bad boy to move? I don't want to wreck it trying but it appears to lock into place when closed with to clips like the ones on a serial port connection (older printers and monitors) on the back of your computer. I think that once this is done I can commission the head on The Aluminum Falcon am I wishing too hard or is this close to the truth? Any help would be appreciated greatly, Thank you.

As always... May the force be with you!

The Aluminum Falcon

(but you can call me Al)
Al Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:58 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
By a strange coincidence, I had the same issue just yesterday with our grey valve. I unclipped the two retainer clips you mentioned, and while pulling outward on the handle, I tapped the body of the valve witha small hammer. After more than a few light (and a couple not so light) taps, the valve moved, and opened. Of course, now it won't seal again, but these valves can be rebuilt. If there is currently nothing in you tank, you can pour a mixture of water and liquid clothes soap through the toilet, and let it sit for a couple of hours before trying this, the soap will lubricate the seals, and with any luck, they won't leak.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
The Aluminum Falcon

1973 31' Sovereign
overlander63,

Just my luck the valve is stuck open, so I am fairly certian that the holding tanks are empty? I am however still tryiing to figure out where the grey water is pumped out at, it seems to be somewhere else from where the manual says it should be (inside the rear bumper) I think anyway.

May the force be with you!

The Aluminum Falcon

(but you can call me Al)
Old 05-13-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Taylors Falls , Minnesota
E. you say holding tanks.. a 73 should only have one ( for black water only) right? the rest(grey) just runs out. Dallas
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I believe that '74 was the first year for Grey tanks. My '72 does not have one.
Anytime you use water in sink/shower, it runs out near the rear bumper, provided you don't have the cap on. If the cap is on, it will back up in the shower.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 03:26 PM   #6
The Aluminum Falcon

1973 31' Sovereign
OK, Thanks Dallas and Fyrzowt, That would explain why I couldn't find it. Is that something (dumping grey water on the ground) frowned upon at RV parks and camping grounds? I wouldn't want to commit a major fopah on my first outing oops!

The Aluminum Falcon

(but you can call me Al)
Old 05-13-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Falcon
OK, Thanks Dallas and Fyrzowt, That would explain why I couldn't find it. Is that something (dumping grey water on the ground) frowned upon at RV parks and camping grounds? I wouldn't want to commit a major fopah on my first outing oops!
You shouldn't dump grey on the ground, unless the campground says you can, as far as the law is concerned, it is almost like dumping toxice waste on the ground (somebody must have given the Feds my Chili recipe).
Some 1973 International models had grey tanks, the easiest way to tell you have one is to look inside the rear bumper, if there are two large PVC pipes leading to your dump fitting, you have a grey tank, if only one, you don't. Another way to tell, is look at your control panel, you will have a gauge labeled "Main Holding" and "Aux Holding" if you have one, and "main holding" only if you don't.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Those of us without a grey tank use a "blue tote" to catch the grey water for later dumping at the dump site. There are various sizes and styles, but they are a plastic container with wheels and a fitting for the drain hose.
Dave
Old 05-13-2007, 11:16 PM   #9
The Aluminum Falcon

1973 31' Sovereign
Thank you both again, I suppose these "blue totes" are available at RV dealers and online? I will certainly locate one prior to my use of any source of grey water, I love the environment and wouldn't want to ruin anyone's experience. I am a newbie so I rely on your expertise and experience in my endeavors as a fledgling airstreamer. Looks like I will need a "blue tote" and then some. Can’t thank you enough!

The Aluminum Falcon

(but you can call me Al)
Old 05-13-2007, 11:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
That's what this forum is all about!!
You can get the tote at Camping world or most any RV dealer that carries much inventory. I'm sure they're available online as well from C.W. and others.
Some people carry them for a little extra capacity even if they have both tanks, they're widely available.
Dave
Old 05-14-2007, 04:28 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Here's a link to CW's stock of dumping tanks:
Thetford SmartTote Portable Waste Tanks - Camping World