Old 06-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Jamul , California
Black Water Sensor Problems

I have a 2007 Safari SE 20 footer. The monitor read out works fine for all but the black water tank --- the light does not illuminate for the black water tank. I contacted Catcon and spoke with Steve who sent me some info on how to diagnose the problem. I unplugged the cable and cleaned the connector on the end of the cable. Still no reading. Sounds like I need to replace the black water sensor. Question is, how do I get to it to remove and replace it?

Old 06-14-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamulian View Post
I have a 2007 Safari SE 20 footer. The monitor read out works fine for all but the black water tank --- the light does not illuminate for the black water tank. I contacted Catcon and spoke with Steve who sent me some info on how to diagnose the problem. I unplugged the cable and cleaned the connector on the end of the cable. Still no reading. Sounds like I need to replace the black water sensor. Question is, how do I get to it to remove and replace it?
Since your trailer is realtively new you will have to cut a hole in the belly pan.
You have a Safari. I have a Classic. My sensor is right next to the outlet from the tank. You will have to locate your black tank. It will be upstream of the dump valve. For a definitive answer call the factory and get to tech support. they can tell you the location of the tank and the sensor.
You will need to make a cover plate since what you cut out will not cover the hole.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I'd want to make sure that it is, in fact, a bad sensor and not a wiring or monitor light problem before I started cutting holes anywhere...especially since it's so new. Is it still under warranty? If so a dealer/service center can deal with it at no cost to you. Just my thoughts.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:59 AM   #4
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Mine is a 2005 CCD 19' Bambi. The black water sensor is just up and behind the dump value. It is NOT inside the belly pan. Look for a small black cap that is drilled into the 3' black water pipe. You will see the telephone cord connecting to it. Hope that helps.

You may try unplugging and cleaning the connector at this end too. (Mine had a problem at this connection point too.)

It is relatively easy to unscrew and replace the sensor if you see it. Use Teflon tape like any other plumbing connection. (Make sure the tanks are empty first... )
Old 06-15-2009, 05:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL View Post
Mine is a 2005 CCD 19' Bambi. The black water sensor is just up and behind the dump value. It is NOT inside the belly pan. Look for a small black cap that is drilled into the 3' black water pipe. You will see the telephone cord connecting to it. Hope that helps.
There is a sensor in the same location on my 2007 20' Safari.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Muncie , Indiana
In the same vein, I just took my 2006 25' Safari FB for its maiden voyage. All went great except that the monitor reading for the fresh water stays on red. It read empty right after I sanitized and then completely filled the tank and about 600 miles of towing didn't change anything. Since I'm getting a signal, my assumption is that I have a good connection but that there's a problem with the sensor. Any suggestions on how to test this out or who I might contact for guidance?
Thanks for any help.
Steve
Old 06-16-2009, 03:26 AM   #7
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Sounds like yours just needs to be re-calibrated.

Call Catcon and talk with Steve. Or your manual should tell you how to re-calibrate. Be sure you have full hook ups as you will need to drain and re-fill the tank(s). Its a bit tricky but you can do it.

jd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSteve View Post
In the same vein, I just took my 2006 25' Safari FB for its maiden voyage. All went great except that the monitor reading for the fresh water stays on red. It read empty right after I sanitized and then completely filled the tank and about 600 miles of towing didn't change anything. Since I'm getting a signal, my assumption is that I have a good connection but that there's a problem with the sensor. Any suggestions on how to test this out or who I might contact for guidance?
Thanks for any help.
Steve
Old 06-16-2009, 07:47 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Steve is a great guy. The product when installed correctly does work well. My Safari was the first year these were installed and as such I have had NOTHING but problems with mine. I have had 3 face units installed all under warranty, after calibrating the unit 3x myself and one time at the factory, they once again no longer are accurate and now I have a new twist, three of the tank monitors randomly stop reporting, then begin to report again. It appears that the shaking of the wires gets them to stop and start.

If the 20' has the rear corner bath, then your black tank sensor is by the dump valve.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We've had the monitor replaced once and they may have cleaned contacts, under warranty. They use telephone wire with the same connectors you have at home and they get dirty and don't work. Since it was fixed, it has worked well, but when I was filling the grey tank it went from 1/2 to full in a very, very short time. Accuracy is not the monitor's strong point.

I know some of you are asking—why would he fill the grey tank? To increase weight in the trailer so I could adjust the WD hitch.

Gene
Old 06-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Calcon told me to swap the connectors for the readings of the black tank and grey tank, just to see if there was any difference. Mine WAS the sensor but you need to make sure it is not the panel before cutting into your baby.

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank