Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Carbondale , Colorado
Black Water Sensor

We bought a used 2011 25 FB. The black water shows the tank full even though it is empty. I tried putting a bunch of water in through the flush inlet with no change. Any suggestions to get the sensor reading correctly would be appreciated. Any info on replacing the sensor would be appreciated as well if that is the solution. Thanks.
thinairflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I have read on the forums, some folks pour a bag of ice and dish soap down the toilet, and drive down the road. I think the idea is that the ice will clean any gunk off the sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
We had our black water sensor changed while in JC this spring. The part was not expensive, and labour was minimal. You can see the sensor mounted on the 3 inch pipe below the blackwater tank (at least on our model).
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Had this same issue on my black water tank on my preowned 2008 Classic 25. The ice trick helped but the problem came back. What I found that corrected the problem was to use the black water flush to fill up the tank half way and put some powered Biz down the toilet. Then drive the AS around to get the water to slosh around. The Biz should remove the items off the side walls and anything on the sensor. I use RV toilet treatment to break up any paper and solids. Then dump and repeat the process. Every time I dump I use a little Biz and toilet treatment in a few gallons of water so while I'm towing it sloshes things around. There is a youTube video that shows some testing of various flushing products and because the bend in the sewer lines the products that attach to the drain and shoot water up the sewer pipe do not work and solids remain at the bottom. Hopefully, if you do this process several times the sensor will start to register correctly.

To gain access to the gray and black sensors the bottom aluminum pan that covers the holding tanks will have to have a section cut out. An aluminum hatch will then need to be made to cover the opening. Same thing if you have to replace the plastic water tank drain so if you have to revert to replacing the sensors have them replace the water drain with a metal type also while they are under there.

Good luck

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
tank

yeah you can use Culligan dishwasher powder or Calgon. Put it in the tank with a good bit of water and let is slosh on the way home or where ever you are headed, rinse repeat, should take care of it. With or without ice cubes. Over on the some other brand message board, it was reported that it worked quite well. I have washed mine that way on the previous trailer I owned and I never had an issue. I hope it helps.
Have a good one !
Old 07-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The toilet bowl in our 19-foot Bambi looks straight down into the black tank. Are larger models different?

I gave up on our intermittent and inaccurate black water sensor the first year after we bought our Airstream, new, in 2005. Now, we just shine a flashlight down the hole. Low tech, but it works. I just have to make sure I have a good grip on the flashlight before stepping on the pedal.

Although, Gene, dropping the flashlight in the hole might help you find that elusive fork...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Our dealer recommended a product called "RV Digest It" made by a company in Colorado. So far, so good. We are pretty conservative about what goes in the black tank. Our output, copious amounts of water, and Scotts single ply toilet paper. And the Digest It. That's all.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
1970 21' Globetrotter
Hamilton , Montana
Just read the GEO method for keeping tanks clean. https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
gdod25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:35 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
The toilet bowl in our 19-foot Bambi looks straight down into the black tank. Are larger models different?

I gave up on our intermittent and inaccurate black water sensor the first year after we bought our Airstream, new, in 2005. Now, we just shine a flashlight down the hole. Low tech, but it works. I just have to make sure I have a good grip on the flashlight before stepping on the pedal.

Although, Gene, dropping the flashlight in the hole might help you find that elusive fork...
Nope, every RV toilet I have ever seen is a dead drop into the black tank. House rules around our place... KEEP THE LID CLOSED! Unless you are sitting on it.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Off topic just a bit. Regarding pipe straight into the tank. My drain is offset into the tank therefore not able to see directly into the tank. BTW I replaced my toilet 3 years ago with a Thedford china model. Had to replace the rubber seal in the bottom of the bowl once so far. The reason, I assume was I let the water evaporate and the rubber dried out. Upon inspection after removal I saw cracking. I now use a valve lubricant for the rubber seals. So far so good. Keep the seals wet!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote