Old 08-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Question Black water overflow

Here's a new question: If the grey water tank overflows, the water comes into the shower first, if the potable water tank overflows, the water comes out the vent at the fill station, but if the black water tank over flows, where does the water first show up? Assuming of course that the flush flapper is shut, so It won't back up into the bowl. Trailer is a 2011 FC23FB.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Assuming that waste only enters the black tank from the toilet, it will not overflow. It merely will not flush any longer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The bathroom sink, which drains into the black tank. Don't let it happen though, yuk.

doug k
Old 08-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedwid View Post
Here's a new question: If the grey water tank overflows, the water comes into the shower first, if the potable water tank overflows, the water comes out the vent at the fill station, but if the black water tank over flows, where does the water first show up? Assuming of course that the flush flapper is shut, so It won't back up into the bowl. Trailer is a 2011 FC23FB.
It would start to go up the vent pipe. In most trailers, the toilet is the only thing that drains into the Black tank, so this shouldn't occur, because you would notice it when you flush the toilet. However some newer Airstreams have the bathroom vanity sink draining into the the the black tank also. In that case it would also back up into that sink. I can see a problem, because if it did got to that point, and then someone opened the trailer flush valve, there would be a gush of black water up into and possibly out of the toilet bowl. If you are concerned about this you can see the level in the tank, by shining a flashlight down the toilet. If you don't trust your sensors, I would recommend checking the level occasionally.

Ken
Old 08-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Quote:
However some newer Airstreams have the bathroom vanity sink draining into the the the black tank also. In that case it would also back up into that sink.
Doesn't this defeat the seperation of 'black' and 'grey' systems?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Plumbing 101 - "S#!t flows downhill" Since the sink is at a higher level than the toilet the black water will not get to the bathroom sink. Unless the trailer is upside down then there are other problems to worry about.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBPete View Post
Plumbing 101 - "S#!t flows downhill" Since the sink is at a higher level than the toilet the black water will not get to the bathroom sink. Unless the trailer is upside down then there are other problems to worry about.
Yup, I suppose if some of the units drain the bath sink into the black tank (Don't think mine does) then you could get some backflow into the toilet the next time you tried to flush. But it would always fill the toilet bowl and eventually overflow there before anywhere else.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBPete View Post
Or if the flush flapper remains closed and you forget to shut off the bathroom faucet.

doug k
Old 08-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Or if the flush flapper remains closed and you forget to shut off the bathroom faucet.

doug k
That should be stratified clear (bath sink) water. Just don't open the toilet if this occurs! Again, I don't know how many model drain the sink in the black tank....I remember this discussion in the past, and I think it was just a couple of the newer shorter models, but I can't remember which.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
I didn't cut enough from my quote. I understand the flow of fluids with relation to gravity. My comment was more in determining the seperation of 'black' and 'grey' systems, and if the sink was tied to the black tank, was this a design change, or a short-cut in fabrication?
Old 08-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post
I didn't cut enough from my quote. I understand the flow of fluids with relation to gravity. My comment was more in determining the separation of 'black' and 'grey' systems, and if the sink was tied to the black tank, was this a design change, or a short-cut in fabrication?
There is still separation. The vanity sink just becomes part of the black water system. Its not a pleasant thought as you stand there brushing your teeth.
I am pretty sure it is a design change.

Ken
Old 08-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Not sure about other models, but in our 19-foot Bambi, we often run the fresh water tank dry during boondocking; and neither gray or black water tanks are near full. In fact, after doing some calculations on tank capacities, we now run the fresh water tank dry and add another 7 gallons. So far, the other tanks still aren't full when the FW tank runs dry the second time.

============

Oops; looks like thread shifted. Please ignore the above, if it is now off topic.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #13

Here is one previous thread on the subject. I am sure there is another longer one, but I can't locate it.

This thread starts out with the worst case scenario.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...ity-78903.html

Ken
Old 08-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Our friends 2004 safari has a combined black and grey. Not a good design in my opinion. I prefer to have the poop with the pee, and the grey water with the grey water.

Most trailers have larger grey tanks than fresh tanks so you don't fill up and over flow..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote