Old 08-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #15
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
I checked my rig to see where the bathroom sink drain goes. It certainly goes to the gray tank.
Opened the gray tank valve and turned on the bathroom sink, sure enough the water was coming out. The 18 gallons capacity of black tank is plenty for two of us and we have boondock for a week.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zia View Post
I checked my rig to see where the bathroom sink drain goes. It certainly goes to the gray tank.
Opened the gray tank valve and turned on the bathroom sink, sure enough the water was coming out. The 18 gallons capacity of black tank is plenty for two of us and we have boondock for a week.
I think my black tank is about the same size, it lasted the wife and I, plus the four kids 6 days. I we don't use camp ground bathrooms much. I figure, I have my own toilet might as well use it.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The bathroom sink, which drains into the black tank. Don't let it happen though, yuk.

doug k
Doug I checked my sink goes to the GRAY tank. BLEW out the trap in the shower with compressed air, then ran hot water down sink until steam came out of the shower drain.

Big WHEW for me, but since I've been boondocking a bit more I want to know how to maximize use of both black and gray before I have to go to a dump station or full hookup.

Paula
Old 08-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Don't know if this will help much but if the question is "where exactly does the black tank overflow first, assuming the bath sink is not part of the system" my response would that you'd likely see the overflow at the base of the toilet. I had some toilet problems with my 2006 Safari and that is what happened, not enough to destroy the trailer thankfully. If that seal that sit between the toilet metal flange and the plastic toilet itself is not perfectly installed, fluids coming up from the black tank will leech out that gap. The same seal does a pretty good job concerning fluids introduced from the top of the toilet. But in an overflow situation, you're talking about fluid completely covering the seal and bottom or the toilet. Any gap whatsover, and you'll be dealing with fluids coming out the base of the toilet. As I say, I speak from experience on this.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I believe the reason for the bath sink draining into the black tank is that the grey tank is usually the first one to fill up in normal use. And it is also nearby.

I don't know when this design change occurred, but easy to check if you have it. Just fill the bath sink basin with water, turn off the city water supply or pump, open the toilet flush valve, then pull the plug at the bath sink and you will hear/see the water run into the black tank.

doug k
Old 08-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Some of the older 60s and 70s trailers only have a black tank. The grey water used to be diverted and dumped on the ground. We overflowed our tank once since the grey water was being stored in the black tank, the seal under the toilet must have been bad since water flowed from under the toilet all over the bathroom floor! My wife went nutty for a bit, but we got it cleaned up. After that, we put into place a no #2 rule. Wall you butt up to the camp bathroom!

I could see it flowing out the toilet and over the top if your sinks were backed all the way up. At that point keep the flapper shut!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
I checked my trailer last night, and the bathroom sink drains to the grey tank.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post
I checked my trailer last night, and the bathroom sink drains to the grey tank.
Wow, nothing universal here is there? Checked mine again, bath sink drains to BLACK tan. Same on my 2007 Safari 20'.

doug k