Old 05-31-2005, 03:03 PM   #15
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Here's the poop....

I have a set of incredibly calibrated sensors....my own eyes! With the exception of the fresh water and battery indicator, the gray and black are most certainly wigged out...

Like Pahaska, I do a "visual" check down the poop chute of the toilet. To give you an idea, we have gone out for 5-6 nites without dumping.

You may not want to hear our method, but it is what my wife and I call the "every two tinkles" flush, and rinse bowl sparingly. Not real pretty, but that is how we spread out the use of our toilet. BTW- the black tank is just the toilet stuff. Gray is kitchen, vanity, and shower.

Obviously it really helps to have an understanding partner in crime!!!

As far as the gray water tank, we use the shower drain as our guide. It ussualy makes an audible gurgle just before the shower base/pan starts to show gray back up.

It is at this point I may descretly drain off a couple of gallons so we can make it through our trip.

Jonathan

Old 05-31-2005, 05:29 PM   #16
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeagle313
that is somewhat of a relief. At least we will have a "visual" warning.

Randi
Yes ... and your nose will "see" it too.

I should mention here that my fresh and grey water tanks are quite accurate.

Also, while wintering in AZ ... I won a door prize. It was one of those tank ream out services ($175 value) ... where they stick a camera up inside your tanks and show you what it is like ... then blast it clean.

My black tank was cleaner than my grey tank ... both had mostly calcium deposits ... but very minor. However, after a thorough cleaning ... the black tank is still goofy.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 01:32 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Our black water sensor is always "full". We've tried flushing from the top, using the built in flush valve, etc. Nothing helps. After 3 warranty repairs, nothing helped.

Gray water sensor seems to be pretty good.

73/gus
Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 01:46 PM   #18
Alaskan Camper

Fairbanks , Alaska
I was concerned about were the overflow might go, seems like the guy at the RV dealer said that the blackwater would backup into the shower .

We have not been using it much and empty it after every couple flushs to make sure it's not going to overflow into the shower, but if you can see it backing up In the toilet I will keep a eye on it there.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
I too have been told that the shower is where you'll get "notified" of a full black tank, which is called "main holding tank" in the book. The grey is called an "auxillary holding tank". My indicator board ALWAYS shows empty for all tanks, incl. propane, and the battery lights say they are all dead. So I mainly use it as a visual display to show people how the nice red lights are supposed to work. I check propane every trip with the visual gauge on the tank. The book says that the fresh water is 50 gal., and the black is 25gal. and grey is 35 gal. capacity.
So I suppose I'm lucky that if I use all the fresh water, if I measure the input into each tank correctly, they will NEVER overflow.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:20 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I may be wrong here, but the shower only "gurgles" when the gray tank is full on newer coaches. The black tank is seperate from the gray tank. This might not be the case with older coaches. I say this because I'm not sure about the threads direction....having started from what I thought was a newer coach, to possibly a vintage.

At any rate, that's the story I'm stickin' with!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
You're right, I was using my old 1981 as an example, and that's a motorhome too, so maybe way off course here about fluids and such. The main point was about that indicator board not being accurate...I guess that's why they're called "idiot lights" like in the autos too. I ran out and got a pic of what mine does when i test it. They are all lit on the left, indicating empty or low or dead, which they are not. I don't think there's a real fix for that. I just grin and bare it, hoping there's room enuf!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	status indicator.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	12664  
Old 06-06-2005, 01:51 AM   #22
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE

2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
Our black tank still says "full" and it was recalibrated, so like Porky I'm not going to fix again as all other sensors work perfect and I may end up with worse, like black tanks that read empty when full as someone else did on this forum!

Barb
Old 06-06-2005, 07:41 AM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yea, that is the risk you run with these new type systems. I don't recall the process allowing you to just do one tank. I did the recal 2x on our coach and had pretty much written it off. They did something at the Airstream Service Center that fixed it.....just hope it stays fixed.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 06-06-2005, 09:20 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
black water tank indicator

We've gone to the timing method of monitoring the Bambi tanks.....two days for grey and three for black.
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:22 AM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler
We've gone to the timing method of monitoring the Bambi tanks.....two days for grey and three for black.
Wow...thats not really long at all. We got a bit over a week out of our black tank and still had a few gallons left. Grey, without using the shower could have lasted several weeks.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:28 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Well, the capacity's only about 20 gallon on each. And of course we take showers each day following a long bicycle ride, "sailor" showers. So 2 days seems pretty good to us. Also we're not much on "public" facilities so we use our own.
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:35 PM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler
Well, the capacity's only about 20 gallon on each. And of course we take showers each day following a long bicycle ride, "sailor" showers. So 2 days seems pretty good to us. Also we're not much on "public" facilities so we use our own.

I see. I thought you were talking about the Safari. That's pretty interesting on the Bambi. You're right it is about 20 gals for both. Our Safari has the exact same black tank and with the two of us with the few stops in from my brother when he's out with us, the black tank still takes over a week to fill. I hear ya on the public facilities.

Of course if you're connected to city water, but don't have a sewer connection, you are gonna fill that gray tank REAL fast in a Bambi.