Old 12-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Hobe Sound , Florida
Black water flush

What is supposed to happen when you hook up the hose to the black water flush thing and turn the water on full blast? I only heard a slight buzzing sound, sort of like a hum. Does that mean all the little jets were working? Then what do you do??

Old 12-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
LaSalle , Michigan
If I am flushing out the black water tank at my campsite (not at the public flush station), I usually let the fresh water run for 5 or 10 minutes to make sure thinks are really flushed out well. Then I close the black and open the gray to drain it. Unhook and rinse the hoses good and stow away. You're done. Make sure you add chemicals back in the black tank via the toilet unless you are storing for the Winter.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Hobe Sound , Florida
Thanks. Are you referring to the hose hook-up for the black tank flush that starts the jets running to spray all over the black tank? I hooked up the hose, let it run for a few minutes, all the while a buzzing/humming sound going on. When I turned off the water hose, the sound stopped. Am I done? Am I supposed to do something further to complete that process?
Old 12-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenturnr View Post
What is supposed to happen when you hook up the hose to the black water flush thing and turn the water on full blast? I only heard a slight buzzing sound, sort of like a hum. Does that mean all the little jets were working? Then what do you do??
The No-Fuss Black Tank Rinsing System is designed to rinse your black water tank AFTER you have emptied your black water tank.

After emptying the black water tank, I turn on the water hose that I attached to the black water tank flushing system. Ever since reading JmesDean's thread, Black Tank Flush, I have been careful to NOT turn on the water at full blast. When he did so, he heard a "POP" and then found that the system did not work properly. I can feel when the pressure in the supplying hose is adequate, and I can see clear water draining out through my clear plastic connector and I can hear the water spraying in the tank.

Then I close the black water tank valve and continue to fill the black tank with fresh water via the black tank rinsing system. While this is happening, I go into the trailer, make sure the water pump is off, get a flashlight, open the commode lid, press down on the commode pedal, and visually check the status of the black water tank. I can see the water swirling around and evaluate the cleanliness of the tank.

How much water I add varies as to how clean or dirty the tank is. At a certain point, I go back out and open the black water valve and allow the tank to empty. When the tank is empty, I close the valve and either repeat the process above or add just enough water to cover the bottom and add the tank treatment chemicals.

After the black water tank is emptied and cleaned, the gray water tank is emptied.

I then use the water hose to rinse out the sewer hose and then store both hoses.

Sometimes I use the Sewer Solution... but that's another story.

Then I try to remember to replace the dump valve cover!

Finally I wash my hands... then I am done!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I have a question regarding the black tank thing in general. We are new at this whole thing, so please forgive my stupidity. We were camping and had been out three days so I don't think there was a whole lot of waste in the tank. But when we turned on the vent in the bathroom or in the shower, we could smell sewage pretty strongly inside the trailer. I had added the 2 ounces of stuff to the tank as directed. But I sure didn't like that smell but want to use the vents/fans as appropriate. What are we doing wrong? Thanks so much for your ideas.
Terri
Old 03-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
You are probably going to need to add around 4oz of blue stuff. I have found that the liquid stuff is much better than the packet of granular. Also in regards to the black water rinse system I rinse mine for a long time filling and dumping the tank as it cleans it much better.

We have a rule also, no number 2s unless there is no other option!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by twestover View Post
I have a question regarding the black tank thing in general. We are new at this whole thing, so please forgive my stupidity. We were camping and had been out three days so I don't think there was a whole lot of waste in the tank. But when we turned on the vent in the bathroom or in the shower, we could smell sewage pretty strongly inside the trailer. I had added the 2 ounces of stuff to the tank as directed. But I sure didn't like that smell but want to use the vents/fans as appropriate. What are we doing wrong? Thanks so much for your ideas.
Terri
We've had similar problems and have found that whenever we use a fan to force air out of the trailer, we need to leave a window or another vent open elsewhere in the trailer to give us some air flow. Also, be sure to leave 2 or 3 inches of water in your toilet after it's flushed and closed to prevent odors from coming up through the toilet itself...the water seals it off. Make sure there is water in your other sink and shower traps to block the flow of odors from the grey tank which can be pretty nasty smelling on its own... (The water in traps can evaporate if you have not used the shower or sink while the rig was stored.) If the odor persists, have your dealer check the one-way valves on your sewer vent line...they are supposed to allow air into the lines to help vent the system, but if they are not working right, they can let odors out...they look like a black cap on top of an upward standing plastic pipe...somewhere along your sewer venting line...probably in an adjoining compartment to your bathroom such as a closet or under your vanity. Ours had to be replaced. I agree that you may need to use more chemicals, especially in warm weather. Experiment with different brands to find one that works well for you.

As to the flush system, we follow the same procedure as SilverGate, and if there is no pressure reducer on the hose, we don't use the water full force. If you have full hookups, don't leave the black tank drain valve open all the time while you are hooked up...let your black tank fill up some and empty it periodically as needed...if you leave it open all the time, the liquids drain out leaving the solids and that will eventually cause a bad build-up of not-so-pleasant stuff. You can leave the grey water tank drain valve open while hooked up if you wish, but we usually save that up, too, and release it after the black tank has been released so that it "rinses" the hose.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Don't over look the grey tank as the possible origin of the smell. Make sure that all the p-traps have water in them. If you are hooked to a sewer line and the valve is open the fumes can be pulled right into the trailer from a dry p-trap.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote