Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
East Bernard , Texas
Black water backup in shower or not 67' Caravel

Per my Airstream owners manual on my 67 Caravel it says if you can not dump your gray water onto ground you can put cap on, open dump valve and the gray water will back up into the black water tank. Does this actually work it just seems like the gray water lines are lower than the holding tank but one guy at a dealer said it should work because the tank is vented. Am I gonna have stufff coming up through my tub drain and filling up my gray water lines or will all the tub, sink water back up in the black water holding tank?
Old 03-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Sure it works, but you will have a mess when it's time to dump it all. When you open that cap to put the hose on to dump, you'll have black water waiting to get out. Even if you close the black valve, the lines will be full. A good half gallon will shoot out at you. Plus the black tank will fill up quickly with shower water.
Easier to put a bucket under the outlet and collect the water then pour it down the toilet if you have no other way to get rid of it.(like after dark)
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967-Caravel View Post
Am I gonna have stufff coming up through my tub drain and filling up my gray water lines or will all the tub, sink water back up in the black water holding tank?
You will have a mess in your tub, that you don't even want to talk about, let alone see, and then.............clean it all up.

You will use words that make ears turn red, GUARANTEED.

That procedure is an absolute NO NO.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I think you'd be better off calling around to find someplace to dump it. Or call around to find out if it is legal in your area to drain gray on the ground. (There will probably be all sorts of restrictions even if it is allowed.)

You might also consider getting one of the blue tanks so that you can dump without moving the rig.

Lynn
Old 03-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It will work. I do it all the time when the gray has filled up and I have a day to two before I am leaving the camp site. We have gone as much as 10 days using this system and the campground bathrooms for showers.

With a full or near full gray water tank and the cap on the dump valve open the gray water valve. Now open the black water valve and count to 10, close the black water valve and then close the gray water valve. You don't want to do this too early, the gray water tank wants to be near full to insure you have a sufficient water head in the gray tank to have flow in towards the black tank.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Hi,

Best bet is to use the blue portable tanks.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I think it will back up into your shower pan. One time I tried to dump the black tank on our '65 Caravel into a "Blue Boy" using a small hose connection. There was no solid matter in the black tank, but the liquid did back up into the shower pan, as it could not exit through the garden size hose connection to the blue boy as fast as the gate valve let it out of the black tank. We now keep a rubber plug in the shower drain and remove it only to shower, just on the off chance that for some reason the drain hose backs up and does not drain fast enough when we empty the black tank.

The voice of a bad experience.....
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
It will work. I do it all the time when the gray has filled up and I have a day to two before I am leaving the camp site. We have gone as much as 10 days using this system and the campground bathrooms for showers.

With a full or near full gray water tank and the cap on the dump valve open the gray water valve. Now open the black water valve and count to 10, close the black water valve and then close the gray water valve. You don't want to do this too early, the gray water tank wants to be near full to insure you have a sufficient water head in the gray tank to have flow in towards the black tank.
That won't work in a 67 trailer, there is no gray water tank.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
Is it frowned upon to dump black tank into a blue boy for transport to a dump station- or are they typically for grey water only?
modarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:11 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
East Bernard , Texas
Yeah I guess your right although the owners manual says you can do it and it will work like Mr. Andy says do you really want to. To be honest I don't use it much for bathroom and shower mainly use the campsite facilities and just use the sink sometimes. I wouldn't call it the most comfortable area in this small trailer to be showering and going #2. I just bought this trailer 2 years ago and the valve leaks slighty and just got too looking around at the config. just to see what is going on.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by modarch View Post
Is it frowned upon to dump black tank into a blue boy for transport to a dump station- or are they typically for grey water only?
Put into the blue tank whatever you want, black or gray. It's a sealed system with no contamination.

Lynn
Old 03-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
East Bernard , Texas
Another thing I have the original Thetford 01447 Slide Ez Valve T-1169 Dump valve. When fully closed it does leak some and I can see that the seal looks worn and dry. Is there a rebuild kit or exact replacement? It looks to still have the original "outlet collector" that bolts to valve body below the dump for the gray water drain. I saw a picture online and it looks like the valve has a pup piece with an o ring and the outlet collector slips over this and bolts to the valve in a circular pattern, is this correct? And if so would I have to cut my smaller tub drain pipe to remove and add a rubbber collar afterwards? I was also thinking about putting a extension on the drain pipe below the leaky slide valve with the bayonet fitting and putting one of the twist on new replacement dump valves and just leaving the old one as a dummy valve. The reason is the 4 screws that bolt the valve to the holding tank and very rust and some barely have a head left on them and I'm afraid of breaking one off and doing more damage. Do they just screw into the plastic housing on the holding tank or they metal inserts sure dont' want to strip one out. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Andy has a replacement valve. I had to replace the one in our 67 last year. It did require removing the black tank in our case, maybe in your case, too.

Lynn

Tags
caravel