Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
black tank/water heater repair questions

Well, I just purchased the tow vehicle for the 1965 Overlander. Now, when I get a chance to retrieve the trailer (half a country away), it is going directly to the shop for an AC installation and other fixer-uppers. I think the shop is a good shop--but being a novice, I could be completely taken advantage of and probably not even know it . Now, the questions. The previous owner had the black water tank removed (reason-unknown), so this will need to be done. Being a newbie, I know nothing about black water tanks (other than the stink factor!). should i just have the repair shop purchase one for the install or should I shop around? What am I talking about in terms of price for the tank itself? Second question, the 65 comes with the original Bowen 9 gallon water heater. Seller indicated that the water heater did work upon a "heat test", but that he would recommend replacing the pilot assembly. Is this reasonable or should the water heater be repalced for safety reasons. What brand is recommended, will I be able to find a heater with a 9 gallon capacity, what is a reasonable cost for a replacement water heater (if necessary)?

Kathy
kdenault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:28 PM   #2
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Lightbulb A Nasty Job ... !

KDENAULT (Kathy),

Follow some of THIS MEMBER’S threads.

He accomplished a Great restoration, and a black tank renewal is addressed within his posts. Go to his profile and click on:
Find all posts by C Johnson
Find all threads started by C Johnson

Or if the above are HOT then click on them.
For Pictures of a custom built tank, HERE

There are some excellent threads on the hot water heater and it's operating components, although I can't think of one at this time. From my reading this Forum, the Bowen seems to be quite a fixable unit if the tank is not blown-out.

Good Luck!
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Hi Kathy,
I have a '65 Overlander as well. Fortunately, our black water tank was in good condition as the only place I've seen a replacement online was Inland RV and they are $445. I dunno if our original Bowen hot water tank worked, but I replaced it with a 6 gallon Atwood with the electronic ignition. It was about $300 if memory serves me right. I ran a switch inside the bathroom for the hot water tank. Just flip it on and the heater lights itself and we have hot water in 20 min. or so. If you decide to keep the Bowen and need some parts, let me know. Our old one is around here somewhere and still intact. Post some pics when you get it home! --dave
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote