Old 06-06-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Black Tank Valve Leaking

After the last couple of trips out, our black tank valve developed a small leak. Not bad, about a cup or two after a week, but nasty to deal with. I've flushed it out and cycled the valve several times as it was draining, but the leak persists. I'm thinking that I should fill the tank with soapy water, open the valve with the cap in place, and let the seal soak to see if whatever debris is causing the leak will dislodge. The alternative is opening the belly pan to get at the valveónot something I want to do.

Anyone else have this problem and solved it? I'd like to hear all ideas.

Randy

2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Well, I have cut a hole in my belly pan to replace both valves. They were over 20 years old and still worked fine. However, the valve to tank adapters had cracked and were causing a leak.....With all that said, I doubt if your 2014 needs replacements yet. I agree that something is probably stuck in the seal groove. I would fill with soapy water and open/close the valve multiple times while it drained. I would also try a flush wand.

CRH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Flushed it again, cycled the valve several times, then put about a gallon of clear water in. After three days had about a half cup of leaked water in the drain pipe. I now have the tank filled with about five gallons of soapy water, and have opened the valve with the cap on. Iím hoping that will soak all sides of the valve and loosen whatever is stuck in there. Iíll let you know in a few days if this works.

Randy

Old 07-14-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
It worked this time but it took about two weeks of soaking in soapy water and cycling the valve multiple times every few days. Drained all the soapy water out and put in water and chemicals in preparation for our trip to Doswell. We are on the road now and when I took the cap off, only a teaspoon of soapy water came out. No blue water. Hooray!

Old 07-14-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Glad it worked out
CRH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:43 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 Nest
2018 Atlas
New Bern , North Carolina
Your sewer valve is failing. There are 2 ways to fix this -- replace the gate valve -- an easy DYI repair. I did mine in 20 minutes. There are videos on YouTube that will show you how.

Or install a sewer cap with a hose fitting on it.

Then you can place the sewer hose into dump and hold the end that attaches at your RV open under the small hose cap. Open the hose cap and allow what has leaked to go into the sewer hose. Then remove the 3" cap and finish dumping as usual.

Eventually, the gate valve will fail completely so I would buy one now. The only time to replace it is after you have dumped the tanks and thoroughly rinsed them. Allowing time for everything to dry out makes the job less icky. I used a puppy training pad on the floor of the sewer bay to catch the drips.
Allen Arin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
We returned last week from a whole summer of travel. No issues with any black water leakage all summer, dumping once a week. I too was afraid of a failing valve, but it looks now that it was only some debris causing the leak. Being that my Airstream is a front bedroom model with the plumbing amidships, changing a valve is not that easy. I wasnít looking forward to opening the belly pan to get to the valve.

Randy