Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Fort McCoy , Florida
Question Black Tank-To Flange or not to Flange?

1972 AS Ambassador 29ft

Ok, soft floor in bathroom-started to remove skin-found the "box" that holds the Black Water Tank, it is leaking and has eroded the bolted crossbrace attached to either side of the frame. Looks like a real pain to duplicate the box and find the proper tank. I understand the heating vent and the styrofoam-neat idea-somewhat dated and estimated time to replace. Ten hours minimum. Should I or could I omit the "box" run a new brace and secure a new tank using its flanges. I know some of you have screwed directly to the floor-which will be new, but I question the integrity. I know I can find a 18 to 20 gallon flat black water tank that would still be concealed by the belly skin-so Flange or no Flange?
Mrwaterway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Mrwaterway,

There are alot of folks here that have
70's trailers. You are a good writer, but
a couple of digital photo's would really
help bring you some answers.

Just a suggestion
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
You can mount a black tank above the floor, but you will have to use a low profile toilet and mount it on top of the tank. I have seen where others have used just the flange to mount the tank using angle iron bolted to the crossmembers to support the flange. Most also use additional straps under the tank for even more support.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwaterway View Post
1972 AS Ambassador 29ft

find the proper tank.
I would put my hands on whatever tank you plan on using. That will determine how you want to go about it.

The Toilet Flange on top is made of a plastic which is allot stronger than years of old. Thinking about that in your plans will help how you design your fix. Food for thought.

Click here to see it.

Dan
Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
If your 72 Ambassador is anything like our 72 Sovereign, then I think the metal box that supports the black water tank provides additional support for the rear of the floor. When we took Littler Girl apart, the metal box and its supports were pretty much gone, so I fabricated a new box, and welded on one new bracket for the box support rails. Take a look at post 31 in our thread:http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185/little-girl-refurb-50967-3.html

Right now, neither the metal box or the black tank are installed. She’ll be like that for the winter. I have noticed that the plywood in back, over where the black tank would be installed, flexes a bit due to no support for about 2˝ to 3 feet. The metal box will fit into that area, and hopefully eliminate that flex. I may need to add additional support, but I’ll figure that out when I get to that point.

If you’re going to attach a black tank with flange screws to the plywood, then I think you’d need to add a bit of frame support on either side of the tank since the metal box will be missing.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, holding tanks