Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2015, 07:33 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
black tank spray head/ 2001 '34 Limited

I'm looking for anyone with the knowledge or experience dealing with the repair of the black tank flush.
Ours stopped working a few months back, and being on "vacation" this week, I thought I mess with it and see about getting it repaired. In my search on the forums here and on google I'm finding out there is not only little detailed info about these systems, there is also no regularity to them either.
Hell, even the diagram of the components of the system in my owners manual isn't even correct.
In a nutshell..... I have no flow through the system. My check valve is right behind the inlet to the system and is functional. Next in line was the vacuum breaker, it didnt appear to be faulty, but for the time being I bypassed it and put a 90 degree elbow in it's place.
So I now have water flow up to that point. To the best of MY knowledge, the only other thing in the "path" is the spray head. Right? Well, being that as it is, I'm guessing this is where the problem lies.
I've tried filling up the tank and letting the head "soak" to no avail. I gotta believe it has debris clogging it up.
All I've found seems to point to having to remove the belly pan and servicing the spray head from that perspective. Which I have to say, is NOT going to happen!
I decided to try to track down where this spray head is located. When I follow the dedicated water line from the vacuum breaker, it comes back down to the bathroom floor (all under the bath vanity) heads towards the back, makes a 90 degree turn towards the toilet and goes down into the floor just behing the toilet. Does it seem possible that it is mounted to the black tank there? Everything I've read points towards the sprayer being mounted to the sides of the tank, hence the need to remove the belly pan to service.
What I'm hoping is that IF the toilet was removed, and one were to don some long rubber gloves, that the spray head would be within reach. I'm also wondering.... is the spray head threaded on? or am I going to need to actually find the spot where it's attached to the pex and remove it from there ( appears to be under the floor, and the vent pipe is in the way :-( )
So...... What do you think? PLEASE try to talk me out of this somewhat unnecessary task? I MUST have better things to do with my time , right?

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
In the water tray outside there is the connection for the BW sprayer. Ours broke off at the tank. So, an RV Tech installed a new one, just to the side of original. Did it all from the utility tray after removing the access panel.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Yup, this area is where I started my search. Removed the inner walls in the compartment to try to see where the lines were headed. That's where I found the brass check valve, the one that my owners manual says is located inside the bath vanity, next to the vacuum breaker :-/ Anyway, from the inlet, the pex goes straight in about a foot, then straight up through the floor into the vanity, up to the vacuum breaker, then down and around to where it dives down behind the toilet.

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:33 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
yup.. I think the tubing goes above the black tank to keep stuff out of the tubing as much as possible. With the tank empty... can you remove the tubing from where it enters the tank? If you can.. you can run water through the line.. it may remove some blockage... which you can clean up... then try using some 'canned air' to blow out the black tank flush...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
On my '98 Classic 30' I had to drop the steel pan (that protects the black and gray tanks) to replace the black tank drain valve. I could see the no-flush pipe entering the tank, I think it was on the side. My pan was held on by screws, but you have to get the rig up pretty high to unscrew it and drop it onto a couple of dollies. Don't know if your 34' is the same.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:29 PM   #6
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I deeply sympathize with you. I have had the same problem an being almost deaf I could not tell if any water was flowing through the "NO Fuss Flush" spray head. I rigged up a water flow meter and sure enough about 2 gallons flowed through it over a fairly long period of time. After surveying the intricate plumbing. I decided to treat it chemically. Rid-X has been in there for several months. Now I am going to see if it will flow faster when I get the trailer out of storage. After reading all the posts I can find on the subject I think you are right about the nozzle being stopped up with black solids. Now, after reading the above posts i think if you can reach the nozzle from the toilet you could probably blindly clean out the holes with piece of stiff wire. If you wash out the tank with dish washing soup and then flush with Clorox solution you would be OK to go mining for debris. Otherwise, the "No Fuss Flush" will have to be de-plumbed Airstream style, a real hassle. Good Luck!
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote