Old 02-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
If you store for a long period, the toilet seal WILL dry out and so will the traps in the sink and shower. If you check them 3-4 times a month and add water the seal in the toilet will last a lot longer.
If you add water (or RV antifreeze, depending on the time of year) to the toilet bowl, you can slow down the evaporation process by covering the toilet bowl with Saran Wrap, taping it in place if it doesn't cling properly. Any liquid that evaporates out will condense on the Saran Wrap, and drip right back into the toilet bowl. Saran Wrap is a lot cheaper and easier to replace than a toilet sealů

Someone else here on the Forums suggested that; it's not an original idea of mine.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We've found a generous coating of silicone grease on the toilet seals keeps it from drying and operating smoothly.

Wouldn't hot water and detergent be a good solution to clean the tank, cold water would seem to stiffen things up. On most late model Airstreams the bath sink also drains into the black tank. You can get 6 gallons of hot water into the black tank by running the bath sink hot water faucet, add detergent and let that slosh around in there while you travel from place to place.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Intuitively, it's like a washing machine. Or should be.

It works better if you add detergent to reduce the surface tension of the water so it can soak in better. He didn't add detergent.

It works better if you add enough water during the wash cycle to cover everything that's dirty. He didn't add water until the rinse cycle.

It works better with an agitator than without one. Well, he had an agitator, in the form of ice.

Which means that the test in the video is not exactly conclusive evidence that the ice cube method is a myth. He could have added more water, added soap, and even more ice. (And he could have driven on bumpy, potholed New Orleans streets rather than a parking lot, to really churn up the water!) If he had, he might have gotten different results. Or he might not have. More testing is required. Accepted scientific and engineering practice suggests that a single test does not prove or disprove a hypothesis.
But the "Add a bag or two of Ice Cubes to the tank and drive around and all will be great" is what is always stated as if it is fact. This You Tube video at least attempts to show that it may not be, with a real test, not "intuitively"

You equate the ice cubes in the tank as if it were a washing machine. It is not. Only "intuitively".

Have you looked at a new top loading, no center post washer, the ones which are on the market now? They don't add enough water to hardly wet the clothes. They have re thought the washing process, and done engineering tests apparently and have found that a huge amount of water is not needed to wash clothes. It is amazing how little water is needed to run a cycle in today's washers.

Unfortunately intuition of how things should work is not the engineering way. It is a guide for further study, but not a proof of fact.

The You Tube video is at least a decent attempt to prove or disprove the ice cube cleaning of black tanks claims. In my engineering mind it is far better than an Intuitive justification.

We need a 10 million dollar government sponsored research program to find the truth.....Do ice cubes in an RV tank really clean them? LOL. But even then the results will be challenged by someone who does not like what they find.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
If you were plugged in it might be the batteries you are smelling.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #19
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

Wouldn't hot water and detergent be a good solution to clean the tank, cold water would seem to stiffen things up. On most late model Airstreams the bath sink also drains into the black tank. You can get 6 gallons of hot water into the black tank by running the bath sink hot water faucet, add detergent and let that slosh around in there while you travel from place to place.
I often put dish detergent and a bit of my tanks at the beginning of the trip before I leave home. On the final day, I run the tanks nearly full with hot water and more detergent and let them sit while I am breaking camp down. When I dump the gray tank at the end, it always has a nice coat of suds left in it. I believed my practice is doing a bit to keep my tanks clean.