Old 05-28-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Black tank sensor

The sensor on my black tank always reads 1/8th full (1st LED on). I know that there is more "stuff" in the tank than that. I understand that the level is determined by weight and not the actual amount in the tank. Anybody else have this issue on the newer AS's? I have flushed out the tank after every trip by using the flush system built in.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
OMG Yes! The tank sensors have continually been a source of frustration for nearly all. If you do a search on micro pulse, you should see a thread with several conversations and the calibration procedure.

**edit**

Here is one of the treads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...ion-14877.html

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We had the exact same problem with Lucy ('05 25FB) when she was new. the dealer had to replace the black tank sensor.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont
The sensor on my black tank always reads 1/8th full (1st LED on). I know that there is more "stuff" in the tank than that. I understand that the level is determined by weight and not the actual amount in the tank. Anybody else have this issue on the newer AS's? I have flushed out the tank after every trip by using the flush system built in.
Knock on wood, my black tank sensor has been dead on since I bought the trailer. First time I've ever owned a trailer with a toilet where the sensor stayed accurate past the first couple of months of use. We did have to replace the panel (under warranty) due to a burned out led.

Note that the manufacturer's warranty on the panel itself is 5 years. Once your Airstream warranty expires, contact the manufacturer directly. They are nice folks.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Being somewhat of a "perfectionist" the sensors have just about driven me nuts during my six months of ownership. However, let me say upfront that Steve at Micropulse is really great to work with.......you could not ask for better customer support.

Your black tank sensor probably needs to be replaced. It is located behind a wheel that throws all the water and crud at it as you motor down the road. Replacement is as simple as unscrewing the old, and screwing in the new one. The wire connector is the same as your telephone wall plug-in. A little diaelectric grease will help the contact, as well as placing some silicone sealant on the cap (where the wire feeds through).

Calibration has not been so simple for me. I have replaced the monitoring panel (another simple job) and still can't get it to setup properly. Primarily the fresh water sensor is causing the problems, but it is located under the belly pan and I am afraid of cutting a hole in the wrong place (will save that for warranty service).

Ron
Old 05-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
I have the same problem. From day 1, all sensors seemed to work except the black tank. I empty the black tank once a week on long trips. Those of you who travel with 2 people, have a working sensor, and have a 39 gal tank, please enlighten me……....how full is your’s after a week?

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 05-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky
I have the same problem. From day 1, all sensors seemed to work except the black tank. I empty the black tank once a week on long trips. Those of you who travel with 2 people, have a working sensor, and have a 39 gal tank, please enlighten me……....how full is your’s after a week?
The two of us have stayed out as long as 6 days without filling the tank. My full sensor doesn't come on until almost the point where the liquid approaches the top of the tank. I always dump the tank full so it seems to take a lot of water to get the tank full before we do the dump.

Now my fresh water tank can show empty, but there seems to be quite a few gallons left. I sort of treat that like the empty on my gas tanks on my car. One car the light comes on when I have almost 5 gallons left. The other car I'm down to 3.

The good thing is if you are going to have inaccuracies in the holding tanks, the black water is the best. You always have the eyeball visual indicator showing you the actual level.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Ah yes,,these are the things dreams are made of...
Old 05-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've also noticed that if the tanks are calibrated in very warm temps or very cold temps, it can have an impact on the reading the units present. For example, when mine was replaced and recalibrated at the factory (this was my second control unit mind you) it was about 80 to 85 degrees outside. The unit worked great for a few seasons. One year I went out and it was about 35 degrees out (early season trip) and the readouts were all off. Then when it again got near 50 degrees, it they all worked well again, until my black sensor went totally out. However, I have a good line of site on the black tank, so I'm not overly concerned and in about 7 or more days with three adults, I hadn't filled the 18 gallon black tank yet.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 28' Tommy Bahama
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Can you tell how the dealer replaced your tank sensor? I would appreciate it,
Rick
Old 06-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I checked under my 2008 Classic. Both the gray and black holding tanks are covered by a sheet metal box. There are slots to clear the dump valve shafts but the there seems no way to drop this pan to clear the drain tube for dumping without doing some surgery on the drain.

Has anyone dropped this pan on the later modes. Seems to be the only way to get at the sensor.

Kelvin
Old 06-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 28' Tommy Bahama
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
The dealer cut an access hole in mine to replace the sensor and then covered it with the same metal material and riveted it in place. He said my sensor came out in two pieces. Everything works now.
Rick
Old 06-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
That sounds like a great solution and maybe not to labor intensive. Does their patch look like a clean install?

Kelvin
Old 06-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 28' Tommy Bahama
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Yes, it was a very good patch, which I don't notice unless I crawl under the trailer. This is not what I wanted on my new trailer, but it has been done before as posted on this forum.
Rick