Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2017, 08:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Black Tank Rinser Technique

The directions say leave the black tank valve open when using the rinser and that makes sense. Probably because it's the safest way.

I saw a YouTube video of a simulated black tank flush and the various products to help the operation like rinsers, Flush King, etc. The guy made a clear plexiglass tank with artificial "contents". Pretty enlightening and entertaining.

The most effective technique was back flushing with the valve closed to 2-3" of water depth in the tank then emptying repeatedly.

So my technique is to run the rinser nonstop, then close the tank valve for a minute or so, then open and drain, then close for a minute, then drain, 5 to 6 times or so.

What is your technique ?
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Ted, that's basically been our method as well, raising a little water level in there to help float some stuff out. The danger is getting distracted by something else, with the dump valve closed and the water flowing into the black tank.

I've often thought about where the overflow would occur. I think the toilet seal would hold that opening, there's a check valve on the No Fuss Flush connection, there is a roof vent that's is open. In many Airstreams like ours, the bath sink is plumbed to the black tank, so I guess that's where it would come out.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The black tank vents to the roof...but the grey tank ties to that vent about 3' above the floor, so I believe if forget and fill the black tank with the flushing going on... it will spill over into the grey tank (oops) and you'll want to run some bleach down the sinks. But otherwise the P-traps should still prevent odors from reaching the cabin... unless you REALLY forget, in which case it will come up the shower-floor and spew it out the roof!

I drain the black tank, then begin the flushing with a hose until the major junk seems to run clear, then close the valve for several minutes and reopen it to drain. After about 3 of these cycles, it's clean and I close the valve and THEN turn off the flush (which puts a quart or two of fresh water in the black tank to which I add a deodorizer-packet.)

I then drain the grey tank, then close that valve also, and using the flush-hose run fresh water thru the slinky before storing it in the bumper storage area. (One mod I did to our 22' Sport was adding the rear bumper....a really good addition.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The danger is getting distracted by something else, with the dump valve closed and the water flowing into the black tank.
That is rule I try to follow, not to multitask when I am filling, flushing and dumping tanks.

Last weekend I moved the TV into the garage as I filled the black tank to flush. I nearly forgot I was filling it, I broke my rule. However, when standing next to the toilet, the tank filled and it shut off. Apparently there is an automatic shutoff on mine. I little light came on next to the toilet and it said "full"
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #5
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
I drain the black tank, then run some soap and a good amount of water from the shower down the toilet, then drain again. Then drain the grey water. I can reach the toilet real well with the shower head, so it is an easy way to get more water into the black tank for a flush.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Daphne , Alabama
Add a third valve past the grey and black

I have a 2004 AS with standard grey and block tank valves, along with No Fuss Flush. I have added a third valve at the exit of the pipe such that I can open both of the gray and black valves at once and nothing comes out of either tank with my third valve closed. Typically I will open the black water valve and the third valve to allow the black water tank to empty while running the no fuss flush. Then I will close the third valve but leave the black water valve open and then open the grey water valve to allow the grey water to back fill the black water tank. Usually also I have maybe 75% water in the grey tank so I get about 37% in each tank after a few minutes. Generally there is a bunch of soapy water in the grey so it tends to clean out the black tank. Then I close off the grey valve and again open the third valve to allow the black water tank exhaust. I also have a clear pipe before the third valve so I can see the black water for cleanliness and I keep the no fuss running till it clears or close the third valve and back fill the black tank and then dump again. 13 years of doing this and my tank monitors still read true.
IAMGLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:11 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Sometimes I think us vintage folks have an advantage even when we have smaller tanks. When my black tank gets about 3/4 full, I fill it with water to the toilet flange then open the drain valve and leave it open. I then flush 3 toilet bowls of water to ensure the valve seat is clear of paper and close the valve until next time. I use the same procedure when getting ready to tow except after closing the valve I fill the bowl one more time and add 3oz of the Thetford blue stuff for travel. Been doing it this way for 30 years with no problems and no odor.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
I use the timer on my smart phone to make sure I don't forget to open the black valve before it is full.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
When we camp on the weekends typically at water/electric sites the morning we leave I set the Micropulse to monitor the black tank and hook up the water to the black flush. I fill the black tank up to when the Micropulse shows about 3/4 full. Then I drive to the dump station and just dump normally, black tank then gray tank. I'll put some detergent down the toilet with a couple of gallons of water for the drive back home.

Kelvin
Old 03-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I hold the drain hose up a few inches to let some water build up in the system, then lower it quickly to permit the buildup to drain with a bit more powerful flow than caused by the rinse water alone. That way, I don't forget, and don't cause an overflow anywhere.
Pat.Mann is offline   Reply With Quote