Old 01-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Anderson , Texas
black tank replacement??

Hi, I am new at this. Was installing a new toilet and the ring on the floor to the tank was twisted off at the tank by accident. Is there any way to fix the part that was attached to the tank? If not, does anyone out there know how to take down the black tank and put in a new one??
Tks, cmn

Old 01-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Welcome to airforums.com!

I'm not sure what it is that has happened, but be aware that there is a flange that screws into the threaded opening of the tank, and this flange screws to the floor.

If it has become unscrewed, well, it's simple to replace. But if you mean that the threaded neck of the tank has broken away from the plastic (fibreglass?) tank, then that's something else.

Can you post a few pictures?

Old 01-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Anderson , Texas
Smile black tank replacement

Well, a friend tried to help but he did twist it off at the tank. It is plastic too. Now I am thinking I am not that good of a creative thinker so I wondering if I just need to replace the tank and how hard is that?? I will try to get some pictures tomorrow and send them back. Thanks for the help
Old 01-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
OK, let me see if I can explain it better.

This picture is a toilet flange. It's upside down in the photo. Imagine it turned the other way, then screwed into the matching female threads in your black tank. The flange is then screwed to the floor with wood screws.

The notches in the edge of the flange are for machine screws to go into the flange upside down, and let you fasten the toilet to the flange with nuts.

Hope this helps a bit more...
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Anderson , Texas
black tank

Yes, that is what I have but on the threads was the white part that was connected to the tank. It broke off when he tried to twist it out. It was glued to the flange part. I had to break the white part off. Now I was hoping that I could reattach it (the new flange to the tank) but I fear I will have to take out the tank to fix or replace it. I also raised the floor 1/2 inch and put down new 18" tile. I don't think that will be a problem as a new one will screw in to the length I need.

My daughter is going to take a picture but mine is the same as yours. I can take a picture of the hole so you can see how much it is raised up now.

Thank you again for your help.
CN
Old 01-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Sounds to me like you need a new black holding tank. Simply gluing the threaded part back to the tank is not a permanent fix. And one should never glue the toilet flange to the tank.

Replacing the tank is not an easy process since you need to drop the belly pan to get at the holding pan for the black tank. Airstream should have a replacement black tank.

I just went through the process of replacing my black tank so I know the pain involved (and smell).

Good luck.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Anderson , Texas
black tank replacement

Hello Aage,
here is the last of my vin number J509603. There is a title/doc#... do you need that one or just the last of the vin?

Cindy
Old 01-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Anderson , Texas
Thanks Mike,
Sounds like fun...I am sure I'll be ringing your bell when we take this thing off. Thanks for the help. We are changing the shocks this next week too. That should be fun also.
Thank you again,
Cindy
Old 01-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindynoori View Post
Hello Aage,
here is the last of my vin number J509603. There is a title/doc#... do you need that one or just the last of the vin?

Cindy
Hi Cindy, I don't see where Aage asked you for your vin number. Am I missing something?

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Anderson , Texas
yes, somewhere he said he could get a tank with the last 6 numbers of I thought the vin. It might be the model number...which I will have to go out tomorrow and see if I can find that one. I feel sure I need to get a new tank.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Cindy,

My wife claims I talk in my sleep, but while I'm wide awake I know what I say, especially when I type it on here. And really, I didn't ask you for your VIN, never ever, cross my heart and all.

Maybe someone sent you an email asking you for the VIN..? But it wasn't me, if that was the case.

In any event, unless you are comfortable crawling around under your trailer with a drill to remove rivets so that you can drop the belly pan, and lots of other mechanical stuff like that, I sense that you will want help to replace the tank, if that's what is wrong. On a scale of difficulty from 1 to 10, I would say that it's a 7 or 8 at least.

And it is a pretty dirty job too, now that I think of it.

Maybe there is someone on the airforums that's not far from you that would take a look...?

Failing that, I think that maybe you should see an RV repair place, hopefully one that does Airstreams. You have a really nice trailer, it deserves expert work.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindynoori View Post
Thanks Mike,
Sounds like fun...I am sure I'll be ringing your bell when we take this thing off. Thanks for the help. We are changing the shocks this next week too. That should be fun also.
Thank you again,
Cindy
Actually, I didn't replace the tank myself. I had the work done by Inland RV in Corona, CA. See my Blog for details and pics.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Anderson , Texas
I am sorry about getting you confused with another email I received. I am not a spring chicken any more. I found the place that was asking for that number info. Thank you for being so nice. I am not looking forward to changing this out but I will for sure be glad when it is done.
Thanks you again.
Cindy