Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
los angeles , California
Black Tank Bottom Fitting: Threaded or Bonded? 1970 Caravel

As it turns out, the original white ABS Thetford mounting flange at bottom of black tank was a slip fit with hose clamp. The tank is Polyethylene just has a green tint to it. I used a RotoZip to cut the four corners off of the mounting flange so that I could spin (still thought it was threaded in) the flange out of the tank due to the plywood surrounding the flange was cut tight around the flange. Once I cut the four corners I could feel around above the flange and discovered the hose clamp. Used the RotoZip again to cut the rusted screw and pulled out the flange.

I have ordered a new Valterra valve, valve flange and collector. Just hope the collector aligns up the 2" gray waste line once installed. Not such a difficult project but it does require a bit of research and this forum was very valuable information to have.
tweezerlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:34 PM   #22
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
Wonderful! Great job sticking with it.
WBCCI #1573
VintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #23
Sun Rae

1977 Argosy 28
Lewisburg , Tennessee
i HAVE a 1977 Argosy center bath 28' my dump vale comes stright down and with the thetford to valtera adapter and a 90 i am only 9 " off the ground, below the campground dump connection and we all know it don't run up hill
I am trying to change out all the thetford also
jack9443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #24
Sun Rae

1977 Argosy 28
Lewisburg , Tennessee
Smile 1977 28' argosy black & gray tanks thetford to valterra steps

used thetford valve to black tank and glued and 3/4 "screws to attach a 3"90 with a 2" heal turned towards front of trailer then a street 90 and 2" of 3" pipe to connect a valterra bayonet
then connected a 2" valterra blade valve to the heal plumbed to gray tank now instead of straight down with an adapter its now turned out and gray tank dump is easy to get to it was under on frame works great
jack9443 is offline   Reply With Quote