Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta
black tank flush - pressure regulator?

Hopefully this is a new question, I couldn't find a reference in the searches.

On the black tank flush, am I to use a Pressure regulator attached to the water line or just connect the hose and turn on the water? Would using a regulator, or a screen help with keeping sediment etc out of the tank flusher?

thanks,
brad.
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:52 AM   #2
_

. , .
manual makes no mention of using pressure regulator....system relies somewhat on pressure to clean....

a screen makes sense....i plan to attach one at the btf outlet and just leave it there...rather than on the hose....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
manual makes no mention of using pressure regulator....system relies somewhat on pressure to clean....

a screen makes sense....i plan to attach one at the btf outlet and just leave it there...rather than on the hose....

cheers
2air'
Good stuff, thanks 2Air'. Any plans on the type/brand of screen? Homemade?
b.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Cincinnati , Ohio
dunno if this is an optimal solution, but i just bought some hose washers with screen going across them at the hardware store - 3 pack for $2.49. They fit right into the btf fitting like any other hose washer.

jon
Toasty's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Once you see the tubing inside the trailer that is used for the black tank flush, you'd definitely feel uneasy about putting a lot of water pressure through it, at least in a CCD. Look for the thread about the check valve that failed inside the wall of ours, behind the kitchen sink. I'd hate to pour high pressure water into my walls.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:18 PM   #6
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty's Dad
dunno if this is an optimal solution, but i just bought some hose washers with screen going across them at the hardware store - 3 pack for $2.49. They fit right into the btf fitting like any other hose washer.

jon
hi jon and bradk....
yep that's what i use, and buy several packs....for outside filter, fresh water tank fill; fresh water direct line and so on....

ouch, agzep i agree filling the wall with water isn't nice......not sure if the btf system is different for each model or tank arrangement.....seems that opening the water flow gradually and then to full pressure would be wiser that a full instant blast....and i always prop the toilet valve open inside so the tank doesn't pressurize from water and air.....

since there are reports of the btf plugging up from a pebbles/rocks introduced via the hose....using a screen should reduce this risk...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:42 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Jacksonville , Florida
I just got a 66 Safari. While finding out what works and what doesn't, I finally got a water hose hooked up to check for leaks, I noticed pine straw in the black water tank. The dump valve was open when I got it. I put water down the toilet to try to flush out the BW tank. Didn't work. I noticed a steady flow of water running out the low rear corner by the frame. Makes me assume I have a hole in the BW tank.
What I am thinking I do next is remove the belly cover under the BW tank to make sure. Then start disassembly of the bathroom. Remove the toilet. Remove the plywood floor for replacement. Replace the blackwater tank.
While I'm there: replace the 40 year old copper pipe with plastic, and maybe weld some steel to the rusted frame.
Could someone with experience confirm this?
There doesn't seem to be a gray tank. Do I need to add one when I replace the black tank? It would seem camp grounds would frown dumping even soapy sink and shower water on site.
While I had water pressure on, I tried flushing the toilet. The trap worked but there was no water flow. Am I correct in assuming there should be warter flow in the toilet. I have noticed some patches in the piping and a valve I am not sure about. How do I determine if this toilet works or I need to get a new one?
I would send pictures but haven't figured out how yet.
John S
jsscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:56 PM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Brad,
There is no mention of any regulator in my manual. One thing though.
make sure, damn sure your dump valve is open when you put the water to the flush fitting. or you will end up with poo on your bathroom ceiling.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:01 PM   #9
_

. , .
hi john and welcome.....

ah the mystery of vintage......plumbing, electrical and hvac....

no gray tank on the 60s models....yes one can be added if you are pulling the under belly or sub floor.

many campgrounds do frown on dumping water....
you can buy a 'tote along' blue tank and it will conect to the draining system. when it's full you pull it to the dump station....

your black tank may have a leak or you may have filled it with so much water that is was leaking from the venting system....

i know zero about vintage tanks, but there are several great threads here on vintage restorations that include black/gray and fresh water tank issues, along with revisions, replacements, repairs and so on. many have great pictures to go along with the wisdom.

search some key words or browse the appropriate forum headings...

cheers
2air'

Old 04-29-2006, 06:18 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Brad,
There is no mention of any regulator in my manual. One thing though.
make sure, damn sure your dump valve is open when you put the water to the flush fitting. or you will end up with poo on your bathroom ceiling.
Egads, that's a visual I could do without . Thanks Michelle! How's your new trailer?

b.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:55 PM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Brad,
I am enjoying my new trailer. ask me in a few months. I will be full time until hopefully around October when I have something built on my property. I am currently at Jim and Mary's.
All set up for the next month or so.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Jim and Mary...

Michelle -

Glad to hear of the seemingly successful beginning of your trip!

Jim and Mary who?! Not trying to be nosy, but I know 2 couples of J+M in the AS world, and wondering? PM is OK.

Have a great adventure!

Peace

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:08 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Jim and Mary who?! Not trying to be nosy, but I know 2 couples of J+M in the AS world, and wondering? PM is OK.
Jim and Mary's RV resort in Missoula. Really nice little campground. Great people and a quiet little spot. We stayed our first night in our new airstream there.

I actually did see an airstream while we were there but not the owner. Anyone we know?

b.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	day-2-003.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	20910