Old 04-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #1

Columbus , Ohio
Black tank dumping mechanism

Am unable to push in the dump handle on the black tank. Short 1/4" and cannot close clips to hold in place. Would appreciate some guidance. Have tried adjusting nut to no avail. This is a 2009 27' International.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Hmmm.... If you cannot get the clips into position it probably means the valve is not entirely closed. It may be sufficiently closed to keep black tank goo from coming through unabated but still... it's probably not closed.

If you have a black tank flush connection you should connect a water hose and let the tank flush for an extended period of time. By that, I mean let some water flow into the tank with the valve closed, then open the valve and let the water run. Open and close the valve several times and you should be able to dislodge the offending item (probably toilet paper) from the valve.

We recently had a similar problem and with about 15 minutes of filling, dumping, flushing and gently opening/closing the valve we solved the problem.

Good Luck!

Lucius

P.S. on edit I see this is your first post. Welcome to Air Forums. There are lots of people that will have good ideas for this problem and any other items that come up with your Airstream. Here's hoping you have lots of good times with your rig!

2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #3

Columbus , Ohio
Thank you! we will start that process first thing in the morning. Really appreciate your welcome and quick response. We just a few weeks into streaming.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:38 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
How hard is it to lower belly tank cover so you can replace black water tank valve
Old 10-31-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My trailers owners manual says to service the dump valves "they" cut an access hole in the belly pan and cover it with a plate....That is exactly what I did last summer when I replaced my valves. Now, I have a nice access panel to take care of future problems.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I'm copying and pasting a response I posted in a separate thread about toilet paper jamming in the black tank (which may be your situation as well). I'm a big fan of the exterior valve that snaps on. If you were out of time and needed to get on the road, the exterior valve would protect you from the black valve not completely closing.
-----
I use one of these on the tank valve: https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-.../dp/B000BGHYJS

It's helpful because if either of your tank valves is leaking, it's a second valve to prevent a full-on leak. It eliminates any dribbling when you open your cap.

Also, it helps with the back flush - same procedure above without lifting the hose. Just close this valve while leaving the black valve open. Then open the gray for a bit, close it, and then open the main valve. I repeat this a few times and get a great flush of the black tank.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:39 PM   #7
The Myth

Currently Looking...
Killeen , Texas
You might also want to see if it is as simple as the extension bar itself where it is attached to the valve bar catching on the tank pan when you push it in.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:45 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
My trailers owners manual says to service the dump valves "they" cut an access hole in the belly pan and cover it with a plate....That is exactly what I did last summer when I replaced my valves. Now, I have a nice access panel to take care of future problems.
How large of a access hole did you cut?? Can you take a photo of it and tell me what you used to cut the access hole.
How much room is between the tanks and the cover.
Did you replace the entire valve or just use a rebuild kit ?
Old 11-05-2016, 06:18 PM   #9
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I only cut a hole as large as needed....lol...It's not a square or rectangular. I cut kind of in the pattern the valves laid. I drilled a hole and used tin snips to cut a little bigger hole so I could see what laid where. Then, I used a pair of electric sheers to cut a larger hole. I only cut under the valves, not under the tanks. The tanks are about an inch from the pan. I dropped out the whole valve manifold and made a new one with new pipe and valves....The job was actually pretty easy. The cost was about $170.