Old 05-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Naples , Florida
Black Tank Dump Valve Repair Cost

Valve on my '09 International 25 won't close completely. Something obviously stuck. Repair estimates all over the map but likely due to non-Airstream dealer lack of familiarity with our systems. Guessing belly pan will have to be dropped to get at the valves. Camping World has a retrofit valve for the outside of the dump pipe. Probably a viable temporary fix but maybe not permanent. Any recent experience like this? Recomendations? Thanks you guys. bbherb

Old 05-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I don't know if newer models have an access panel, but as I understand it, on older models the repair involves cutting an access hole under the valve, doing the repair and then cutting a piece of alum and screwing it up on the belly pan to cover the hole.

AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
BTW, have you tried getting a flush valve, going to a dump station and shooting water up the drain pipe to see if you can break loose the blockage?
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Old 05-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Try some in-tank bacteria like Rid-ex, this is good for breaking down tissue and re-introducing good bacteria in your black tank. Mine has had valve blockage too,
But I got rid of it after several 6-7 flush and
Fill procedures.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
I think my second post might be confusing as I said "get a flush valve", just to be clear, what I meant was something like this.
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

Old 06-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
East Greenbush , New York
black tank valve rebuild or replace

hi folks, i just got out the black water tank from 62 overlander. the heavy metal valve on the bottom is the thetford valve? mine seems to leak at the seam where the valve is gasketed together. perhaps a new gasket would do it and it seems quite difficult to remove entire valve from tank, without breaking tank.

suggestions? thanks, joe k
Old 06-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
hi folks, i just got out the black water tank from 62 overlander. the heavy metal valve on the bottom is the thetford valve? mine seems to leak at the seam where the valve is gasketed together. perhaps a new gasket would do it and it seems quite difficult to remove entire valve from tank, without breaking tank.

suggestions? thanks, joe k
Joe.

Most owners cut out that brass valve and the install a new style valve, in the fiberglass tank.

Andy.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
black water tank repair or replace?

thanks andy, do you have the valve? is it better than the original brass? if not, replacing gaskets probably much easier. thanks, joe
Old 06-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
thanks andy, do you have the valve? is it better than the original brass? if not, replacing gaskets probably much easier. thanks, joe
Joe.

First, you cut away the old valve.

Then you glass in it's place a Thetford glass-on adapter.

When that cures out, you mount the appropriate valve to the adapter with 4 screws. Then you hook up to the valve whatever needs to be, so that you can attach the sewer hose.

But, don't cut anything until you have the parts on hand.

Takes about 3 to 4 hours to do, spread over a couple of days, so that the fiberglass can cure out.

Best way, is to remove the tank, and work on it when it's upside down.

And to answer your question, yes.

Takes a little time, but well worth the effort.

Andy
Old 06-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbherb View Post
Valve on my '09 International 25 won't close completely. Something obviously stuck. Repair estimates all over the map but likely due to non-Airstream dealer lack of familiarity with our systems. Guessing belly pan will have to be dropped to get at the valves. Camping World has a retrofit valve for the outside of the dump pipe. Probably a viable temporary fix but maybe not permanent. Any recent experience like this? Recomendations? Thanks you guys. bbherb

In post # 2 Soboy said how they did it on old trailers and that is how it's handled on the new ones too.
On the newer trailers, a hole is still cut in the belly and when the repair is done a new sheet of aluminum is used to cover the hole. There is no need to remove the belly pan. The piece of replacement is usually held in place with self tapping screws. That's the way it's done at the service center in JC, anyway.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Naples , Florida
Black Tank Gate Valve Blockage

Thanks all you guys! I was in a hurry to hit the road so I got a screw-on valve from Camping World. It's all plastic and cost about $20. Works fine and protects from spills due to the black gate valve leaking and leaving waste right behind the hose attachment cap. Before I resort to the radical fixes, will try the pressure flushing. Thanks again to all of you for your help. See you down the road!! Bill
Old 06-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Naples , Florida
That Camco gadget is exactly what I thought I'd need but had never seen one. I'm going to get the Pro version. $26 is a great deal. Bet this will do it. Will try to keep you posted. Thanks again so much for the steer in the right direction. Safe travels, Soyboy! Bill
Old 06-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
thetford valve replacement

hi andy, i hope this is the right way to contact you. ok, you say i need to replace my brass blackwater valve on 62 overlander with a new plastic one. i was on your site and see several that may work.

do i need an adapter? what about the collector type? i'm ready to order, do i need some fiberglass resin or the like?

last question. how to you measure brakes? i see some 10 inch and some 12. thanks, joe